I'd like to make runes

Discussion of runes.
Sakura Blossom

I'd like to make runes

Post by Sakura Blossom »

How would you suggest making them? I can't do anything with wood or stone, that's a bit out of my ability. Haha. But what about clay? Or something else? I'm not sure... I'd love to hear ideas. Thanks!
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: I'd like to make runes

Post by Xiao Rong »

Have you considered making salt dough runes? That link is my recipe, and Heartsong has also had BEAUTIFUL results from those as well! The upside is that salt dough is very cheap and easy to make -- all you need is salt and flour and water.

Clay runes should also be fairly simple (I will be doing this soon ... when I get around to it ...). I bought some air-drying clay, and I am planning on rolling them into balls, pressing them into discs, and then carving the runes onto them with a toothpick. I might not even paint them.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

Salt dough runes are real easy to make. The link is to instructions for making them. If you search the forum for Salt dough runes, there are a couple posts with pictures of memeber made runes. Two members that have shared theirs that I can think of off the top of my head are Heartsong and Xiao Rong.
By the way, salt dough can be used to make all kinds of neat stuff including Goddess statues. :wink:
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

Thanks! I'll try the salt runes but I just remembered I have polymer clay that I need to use. Two packs of brown that I could paint black with the gold I want in it. (:

And yes! I like the salt dough too, I might try that! I did make a goddess statue way back when I thought I was working with her, and now it's just sitting there. Haha. It's this here, is what I made:

"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

BabyBear

Post by BabyBear »

oh that is really pretty and nicely done sakura
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

Thank you! I have zero use for it so I'm trying to figure out what to do with it now. haha.

Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

I love the metallic paint. loveface
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

Echo_of_shadows wrote:I love the metallic paint. loveface
Thank you! It's actually not paint, though. (: The colors you see are the actual clay colors. The metallic effect was achieved by using this sparkly powder that you use to paint onto things to add this look. I love it! (:

Lightbringer

Post by Lightbringer »

You could also use polymer clay, which stays soft until you bake it in the oven. They should have it in craft stores in several different colors. I have some leftover clay from making a God statue and I was thinking of making some runes to use it up.
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

We have that. (: That's what I made the above goddess with. I was considering using that, since I have left over brown clay to use. Thank you for the suggestion!

MistressOfTheMoon

Post by MistressOfTheMoon »

You can just paint over stones :) I remember using Reeves Acrylic when I painted on wood.

While the paint is still wet, you can still wash it off with water in case you make a mistake. When it dries up, it's water-resistant!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400410399.680319.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400410399.680319.jpg (131.27 KiB) Viewed 3482 times
"For the Spirit lies within."
~ Ada S.
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

I made my own from polymer clay. It was super easy and I LOVE them.
Floyd Pinkerton

Post by Floyd Pinkerton »

I made mine with a kind of clay I found at Michael's that dries up if you leave it sit in open air for 24 hours.
Shub Niggurath

Post by Shub Niggurath »

I used to make rune sets out of wood. It's easier than it seems, seriously. I'll share how I used to make them in case someone's interested in wooden runes.
The upside of making wooden runes is that you can choose what kind of wood you're going to use. Every tree has its own, unique magickal properties and personality ;) And they're more durable than any other material (except stones).

All you need is a saw, a solder and a dry branch.
I used to look for dry branches in the forest - they can be easily found under trees. I wouldn't recommend breaking living branches because 1) it hurts the tree and 2) they're not dry inside.
When you find your branch you simply cut it into 24 discs (you can do it all at once or - as I used to do - cut one disc at a time, usually during the day of the week that was corresponding with the rune I wanted to make).
Then you preheat a solder (I borrowed mine from a friend) and burn out a rune symbol on the surface of the disc.
And done! :D
It takes around 3-5 minutes to make one rune. Super easy and fast.
If you want to get fancy you can also cover the runes with varnish (clear nail polish works just as well).

It's really easy and cheaper than anything else because branches are a free gift from Mother Nature. Of course it requires you to have a saw and a solder but I bet you can easily borrow them from your man, your dad or a friend :)
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

Thanks for all the suggestions! I actually bought runes awhile ago instead. Hahah. I found some that spoke to me more than making them did. Usually I try to make things from scratch but this time it didn't feel right and I couldn't figure out why. Then I found my runes I have now and I realized that was the reason. Hehehe. (: Thanks again all! I'll keep that in mind should I ever choose to make some, some day. (:

Return to “Runes”