Ingwaz, Seasons, & Balance

Discussion of runes.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ingwaz, Seasons, & Balance

Post by Xiao Rong »

The blog Heathen Woman has some fascinating thoughts on the rune Ing :ingrune: as the blogger, Heather O'Brien, reflects on the nature of balance and the seasons ...
The rune of the Elder Futhark known as “Ing” personifies this very concept. In fact, it’s no coincidence that it belongs to the word “Spring”. Ing is represented by a figure resembling a joining of two ties, or perhaps human DNA, depending on how it’s drawn. This rune personifies balance and the combining of male and female energies that bring balance, new concepts, and self-realization. Its energies are active. Even in today’s English language, we can see the active nature of Ing in the way we give direct intention to certain words: “Do-ing”, “See-ing”, “Be-ing”, etc. which are all active processes. So too are the changing seasons as they pass from one to the next.

The Norse had a deep respect for the changing of time, and we strive to embrace their understanding and apply it to our lives. It is reasonable to expect that they understood this changing on a spiritual level as well as a physical one, as evidenced by the agricultural aspects assigned to the Norse gods along with their emotionally caring, protective and nurturing attributes. The gods were given balance to reflect who they are and what they represent, another example of Ing in action. Just as Odin personifies the war chieftain and fervent traveler, so too does Frigg balance that as mothering nurturer and overseer of domestic affairs, centering the focus at home as opposed to afar. In the relationships that the gods maintain with one another, we can see this active balance in many areas.

The rune Ing is also associated specifically with the god Yngvi Freyr, also known as Frey(r), the twin brother to Freyja who personifies fertility. His kinship to the beautiful goddess of both war and conception (who also represents the balance of fertile life and unavoidable death) further reflects the concept of balance. Fertility may certainly reflect the physical form, but it can also signify an awakening of our innermost thoughts and ideas, which become fertile seeds for future growth. We can learn many things from meditating with the runes and practically applying them to our daily lives. There are lessons and energies contained in them that aid us in developing our higher spiritual selves, and they remind us that these energies are indeed relevant to our own circumstances.

Keeping perspective as we go through ups and downs can make a difference in how we handle the toughest times. The consolation is that there is indeed a natural balance and order to all living things, and we are part of that process. There will be times when we are in the middle of hard lessons and difficulties that appear overwhelming. While it’s important to recognize that circumstances will inevitably change with time, we can play an active role in creating a more positive place for ourselves in the meantime. There also may be good reason for a prolonged personal “winter,” due to additional lessons that need to be learned and applied. Those moments of learning are crucial to the development we all need to experience, and they is part of fully living.

In very tough periods, consider the strong oak tree. It may appear barren in the winter, but does it not have renewed green growth in the spring? Do its leaves not provide a brilliant display of color in the Fall? It lives, grows and thrives through every season – not just the pleasant ones that bring sunlight and warmth. It is wiser for all that it has endured and stood witness to, just like the majestic mountains and vast oceans that the ancient Norse would have no doubt reflected on. The wheel of time and changing of seasons continue to bring us all full circle.
I enjoy the association of "Ing" with the English words "Spring" and words like "be-ing", "do-ing", and "see-ing" (although I wonder how linguistically accurate it is). It was really interesting food for thought for me because I have generally viewed Ingwaz as a time for waiting (the seed is planted; now we are waiting for it to grow). Not that it indicates total passivity, since there are many things going on inside the seed that we cannot see but are integral to the growth of the plant, but I hadn't pictured it as part of a larger, active cycle of seasons and balance. Loved this article!
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Isis3Anubis

Re: Ingwaz, Seasons, & Balance

Post by Isis3Anubis »

I most associate ING with fertility because he was a god of herd and harvest, so spring as the ending of the previous cycle and beginning of the next more positive season is very true. I too like the Be-ing, Do-ing, See-ing association and was surprised I did not see the similarity before.
She's just pieces of me you've never seen ~ Tori Amos
Heartsong

Re: Ingwaz, Seasons, & Balance

Post by Heartsong »

Oooh, this is awesome, thank you for sharing, Xiao!!

I love the word associations, that makes perfect sense to me. I relate Ing very much with the idea of 'creative fire', and thus a very active (internally speaking), perhaps even consuming, rune. I also think it's interesting to consider that activities, even as basic as "do-ing", require an internal and external harmony. For example, taking a step in one direction. Our will prompts the body into motion, and thus we make progress. From everyday functions on up, it's necessary for human beings to exist in a specific kind of harmony both within and without, and Ing is a wonderful representation of that balance.
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone

Return to “Runes”