making your own runes

Discussion of runes.
Shaman of Bliss
Banned Member

Post by Shaman of Bliss »

Runes are a set of symbols that were discovered by Odin, a Norse god. He hung himself from the tree of knowledge while being impaled on a spear. He did this to unlock the knowledge of the runes, and thusly brought them into the world.

All the symbols have a meaning, and magickal properties associated with them. By "casting" runes you can foresee events, or even use the casting process as a form of prayer.

There are many more uses for runes. Perhaps some other members could give some of their favorite uses for runes. Help our friend here, as well as other members understand their use as a magickal tool.
Neir

Thanks for the idea!

Post by Neir »

That's a wonderful idea! I am going to do that with the materials in my area, and I will post pictures of my results when I get the chance.
Twisted_Pixie

Post by Twisted_Pixie »

The runes were originally a language... an alphabet, but they later were used for divination. The term "spell" is said to come from rune magic, as you "spell" out the rune to invoke it.

Runes rock my world. =D

Pix
Syndica

Post by Syndica »

i don't know much about runes spells or how to use runes. i am just a witch that eats to much. :lol: but anyway it would be cool to learn more about runes is there a few books some where? if i made a set of rules do they be to be in wood? or u can use any other material?

thanks all

blessed be :D
Ginger Faith!
Banned Member

Post by Ginger Faith! »

No, Sally's are made of stone. They dont have to be wood, some people just prefer it.

Blessed Be,
Twisted_Pixie

Post by Twisted_Pixie »

Syndica wrote:i don't know much about runes spells or how to use runes. i am just a witch that eats to much. :lol: but anyway it would be cool to learn more about runes is there a few books some where? if i made a set of rules do they be to be in wood? or u can use any other material?

thanks all

Syndica, any rune books by Nigel Pennick or Freya Aswynn are AWESOME books on the runes because they know their stuff.... alot of the books out there are a little off the mark but these guys know their stuff.

Freya Aswynn is a little cooky... she literally MARRIED the God Odin... lmao. She had a ceremony where she married him hahhaa. Weirdo. But yeh she knows her stuff... i'm sure her husband taught her everything she knows LMAO.

I got my rune knowledge mainly from my training as a priestess but these guys helped out too.

As for making runes, you can literally make runes from anything that works for you, whatever you feel is the right material, go for it, there is no right or wrong. I prefer natural materials.... crystals etched, or wood with the symbols burnt into them. Once i get my business off the ground i'll be making more of them to sell, but they are soooooo easy to make.

Pix
Teaca

Post by Teaca »

i made mine out of sea shells
Syndica

Post by Syndica »

thanks sweethearts,

i have to pick up a book on runes. hey i could sew them lol make baby pillow runes. or does that suck?

Teaca

Post by Teaca »

thats a cute idea syndica
merry meet, merry part, until we meet again blessed be
Twisted_Pixie

Post by Twisted_Pixie »

Syndica wrote:thanks sweethearts,

i have to pick up a book on runes. hey i could sew them lol make baby pillow runes. or does that suck?

No way thats a good idea hun!! I'm going to be doing a door plaque for Scarlett in runic, and i have already made pillows and blankets with certain runes for protection etc on them. So do it!
Syndica

Post by Syndica »

hi darlings :D

OMG yay!!! :D ok u totally made me a happy camper.

what i thought of doing was velevet purple with black lace edging. but one problem i need all the rune lettering. anyone got a picture? i can sew the symbols using the sewing machine. i am wondering do they have to be the same symbol on bothsides?

thank u

Avalon

Post by Avalon »

I made my runes from Modelling clay that I baked in the oven.
They were a beautiful green color with deep imprints of the letters on them.

I wish I still had them but my ever so loving dog decided one day they smelt like cookies and when my back was turned he ate them :(

I'm trying to find some time to make another set. I'm using a factory made set right now and they just don't feel right. The weight of the stone is all wrong and they are cold.

Does anyone else find reading runes and interpreting them much easier than reading tarot cards?
Twisted_Pixie

Post by Twisted_Pixie »

Hmmm i dont find it easier, just different. The tarot cards i own and use are extremely easy to read for me so i love them... whereas for runes, i can read and write runic so i know each symbol off by heart and so its also easy, but they are two completely different forms of divination so its hard to compare for me... but they are both very easy =)
Syndica

Post by Syndica »

hi,

i use a special tarot orcle cards. it tells what ur spirit animal is and also guides the path in which they take. it's been the most used cards, and my soul is binded with this deck. lately i'v been getting lots of pms and the people want me to do auras or orcle cards. :shock: weird huh?

Twisted_Pixie

Post by Twisted_Pixie »

Syndica wrote:hi darlings :D

OMG yay!!! :D ok u totally made me a happy camper.

what i thought of doing was velevet purple with black lace edging. but one problem i need all the rune lettering. anyone got a picture? i can sew the symbols using the sewing machine. i am wondering do they have to be the same symbol on bothsides?

thank u

What runes were you wanting to put on them? I can help you, i just dont know what you are after... if you tell me what sort of outcome you want i can help, so tell me like protection, abundance etc etc... or if you have names picked out i can tell you how to write them in runic.

Pix

Return to “Runes”