thunderstorms

Post meditations or discuss consciousness exploration here.
Peregrine

Post by Peregrine »

I was not outside at the time. The furthest I went was the porch, and then near the door by the porch. I have to look it up again, I do not recall the exact numbers, but tornadoes, while obviously smaller than hurricanes, have much stronger winds. I call Hurricane Charley the story of the hurricane that wanted to be a tornado, as he was unusually small and unusually powerful, plus he traveled unusually quickly and unusually far inland. Did I mention he was most unusual?
jcrowfoot wrote:I have to wonder if those "storm chasers" got glamoured by the storm itself. :-)
green_laugh
It's like walking down an empty street, listening to your own footsteps. But all you have to do is knock on any door and say, "If you'll let me in, I'll live the way you want me to live. And I'll think the way you want me to think." And all the blinds will go up, and all the doors will open, and you'll never feel lonely. Ever again.

~Henry Drummond, "Inherit the Wind" (1960)
Eretik

Post by Eretik »

Heh,Heh,wind....................love it. Any storm is pure energy,at it's max. Rainstorms here in Winter get pretty wild. It can be exhilirating to get caught in one. I live in an area that gets seasonal thunderstorms -they are the best. We get a clear distance view for miles around -I get psyched for days.Any one else get their hair standing up when one is overhead?
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

Yep. Only it's the hair on the back of my neck. The hair on my head is too long to stand on end, even in a thunder storm.

I usually want to run, I'm so psyched in a good storm.
Elem

Post by Elem »

Yip, I always get the hair standing on end.. Especially if a big storm is brewing. Also, you'll sometimes notice a slightly 'metallic' taste / smell in the air.. Hard to describe. Almost like licking a piece of metal, or an almost dead battery.. If that makes sense? Haha

I believe both of these effects are from the natural build up of electrical charge in the air around you.. Least, that's what I remember from Physics. *shrug*.

Either way, I love storms. Can't get enough of em :). The tension in the air before, the spectacular lights and sounds during.. And the exceptionally clear and fresh atmosphere afterwards. Love it!

Elem
FaeSpirit39

Post by FaeSpirit39 »

Elem, with you on that one!

Thunderstorms, the Lightening show, the Wind and the Rain ... I am in love! Plus I LOVE how fresh and clean everything smells after it lets up. Weird but true.
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

That fresh, metallic smell is the smell of ozone and water. Humans can smell water... that's not a silly thought. After all, at one time our ancestors had to go out and find the stuff... so we're probably specifically wired to do so.
It is a great smell though. Makes you feel wild happy and free!
Elem

Post by Elem »

Ah, ozone, of course.. Silly me :). Same smell / taste that you get in the air if you smell near an electric motor (remote control car, scalectrix, etc..) after running it for a while.

Elem
DesktopHippie

Post by DesktopHippie »

Interesting theory! They certainly seem obsessed enough to be glamoured.

I can echo being energised by storms. I don't feel any physical effects, but one annoying side effect is that if it's stormy, I can't sleep! I simply won't be tired. I've spent entire nights reading, writing and even getting work done about the house simply because a storm is raging outside and I feel as awake as I would in the middle of the day.

A question: One guy I know finds that storms, especially thunderstorms, make him frisky. He thinks it's a guy thing, since he knows a few other guys it happens to but no girls - although at this stage his girlfriend is pretty much conditioned to respond the same way! I'm just curious if any of the guys (or girls!) here experience the same effect?

Return to “Consciousness Work and Meditation”