Altar Tables

Discussion of ritual tools and other items used in the Craft.
Opalene

Altar Tables

Post by Opalene »

Hi everyone. I hope this is in the right spot.

I have NO room in my tiny apartment for a permanent altar. I have some things on my dresser but the room with the bed and everything else is not big enough for a circle. My husband and I have more stuff than apartment. Plus the cats, we;; one of them likes to climb, on EVERYthing.

I decided I could have a portable altar table, that I could take outside behind the apartment when it's time for ritual. Looking at random pics of altars and altar tables, I notice that many are quite short- like only 5 or 7 inches high. Is that the norm? A short one certainly would be easier to carry from place to place than a large one, I'd just have to sit instead of stand I guess.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Echo_of_shadows

Re: Altar Tables

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

Kassandra made a great post that might be right up your alley :) Portable altars are quite nice.
viewtopic.php?p=202682#p202682 "clever altar ideas"
I like the idea of having a huge altar to put all of my tools on it and leave them out all the time, but I know that isn't practical. I think the only reason my kitty avoids my main altar (for the most part) is that my TV sits on it. My lovely end table only gets used as an altar for sabbats, then it resumes its mundane tasks for the other 357 days of the year. :P
For most of the times that I've been a witch, my altar has been just whatever flat surface had enough free space to put my tools on long enough for a spell or ritual. I have a cute mini altar that has been up for about two months that my cat hasn't gotten to yet. It's a framed mirror with a basket attached. It works real well because it hangs high enough on the wall that my cat can't reach it, and even if she could, I know the basket is too small for her to sit in. Here are some pictures if you haven't seen them already:
viewtopic.php?f=153&t=27485 "Echo's Witchy Things"
My suggestion is that if you want to have an altar that's up all the time, vs a portable one, start looking around your apartment for places you know that your cats can't reach. Take a cupboard into consideration. Some cats get into cupboards, some don't. A drawer would be a good option if it closes properly. Think like a cat. :wink:
Last edited by Firebird on Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixing broken links
Zili

Post by Zili »

Because my catholic mother is leery of anything to do with paganism she asked that I not practice inside the house or on the property so I had to have a portal altar and i took it with me up to the park or to a friend's house when it came time that we needed one, all I used was an old shoe box. You can paint it, cover it with paper, lots of things to dress it up. Inside my box I carried my prayer stick, a few crystals (one for each of the elements) two small candles to represent god and and goddess aspects, a small glass cup for my chalice, a deck of cards and a bit of cloth enough to drape over the box since I had left mine plain.

for a house altar I have a thin desk hutch in the garage the right hand side has a statue of Baset, two elemental gem stones and one of my decks. On the left hand side is a ceramic elephant statue, the other two elemental gem stones and another deck. (I have 3 decks all together, one mom does allow inside since its native american based).
Opalene

Post by Opalene »

Hi again and thanks for your suggestions. There's a pic here of what I did for last night..

viewtopic.php?p=202682#p202682 Bureau Altar
Last edited by Firebird on Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixing broken link
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

If I work outdoors I use a rectangular folding bed tray or a circular folding patio table. They fold for easy storage. I found them at Rite Aid local drug store. I have even used the deck railing.

There is no such thing as space too small to cast a circle, tee hee. The trick's whether or not you get to stand up or sit. Things are seldom ideal, so we work around them. How about the kitchen and using the kitchen table, if there is one? If there is space like in a pick-up truck camper, you have enough space to work in. Cast circle right thru the walls if you need to. And be careful not to hit your head.

Return to “Ritual Items and Tools”