Lilith

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
Moonstream

Re: Lilith

Post by Moonstream »

hello!
well i read this book with 'witchy fairy tales' called 'geneology of a witch' by benjamin lacombe, and the first tale was about the 'first witch'-lilith. she was indeed the original partner of adam, but she did not want to obey adam nor god, and she wasnt interested in populating the world or anything like that. she grew fond ofthe animals and plants of eden, but adam (according to the story) was pestering her about populating the world and obeying the will of god. so lilith ran away to the land of demons (hell?) where she met its ruler, belzebuth(satan?? i dont believe in satan but oh well). he and the demons had black wings and horns on their heads. there, belzebuth told her that lilith had been replaced by eve. this made lilith extremely jealous, and so she made a pact with the prince of demons/satan. she would become his queen for all eternity and share her wisdom of everything she knew, and in exchange belzebuth would give her all his powers and help her get revenge on adam and eve. thus, she became the first witch and transferred all her powers to a series of women all over the world (and the book follows a series of tales of different women such as isis, jeanne d'arc, lisa (mona lisa), olga who sunk the titanic, and mary-anny the siamese sisters). anyways, belzebuth, disguised as a snake, persuaded adam and eve to eat the sacred holy apple (why was it an apple? i mean, thats kinda biast towards other fruit. i wonder if catholic people think 'im about to eat the same fruit as adam and eve' when they eat apples. just a thought) and got them banished from the gardens of eden.
here is a picture of lilith in the book (i love benjamin lacombe's books, especially the illustrations!)
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-InY867bg2U4/T ... 739350.jpg

i find lilith interesting, and i think ill do some research on her. she has a 'dangerous' way of being like a magnet...
path of the shaman

Post by path of the shaman »

hi, it's a very interesting story. everyone has a different story about Lilith. both modern and ancient. i believe every story has an element of truth. Lilith seems to like having people guess about what she is like. i don't think she is being anti-social. its her way of finding out if people are sincere about learning about her. and from her.
Ember Nightwolf

Post by Ember Nightwolf »

I wouldn't be surprised with her being in league with the fairies, due to her, like them, being repelled by iron. A thought struck me whilst I was reading through this though - do you think the entire of the first level of lower creation is repelled by it? I wonder why...
Any ideas, anyone?

And a song in her name by Inkubus Sukkubus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFMHtr-pFXw
There are three sides to a coin.
13Lotuses

Post by 13Lotuses »

@ Moonstream:

Regarding the "Apple" myth, many believe that it was actually a pomegranate ("seeded apple"). Interestingly, Catholics can choose whether or not to take the creation story literally.
Growing from mud, although challenging, offers great promise.
melinda

Post by melinda »

Aren't both versions interesting in the way that they both represent a rejection of the old religion? The pomegranate was the fruit Persephony almost ate which made her queen of the underworld for half a year -turned her into a queen and a woman from a girl and a daughter, while the apple was the fruit of knowledge and protection in the old religion, as well as the fruit that grants knowledge and immortality in many religions (example: The apples of Idunn).
Lucy720

Post by Lucy720 »

I was told that lilith was an immortal ( I am not sure whether she was a goddess or an immortal human) that had godlike wisdom and represented sexual impowermemt.

(Sorry about the spelling I am typing this on my phone.) -Spellchecked by The Judge
Alina_Rose

Post by Alina_Rose »

I have been interested in Lilith ever since I have heard of her and actually see her as a form of the Crone aspect of the Goddess. She became immortal because she didn't taste the forbidden fruit, meaning she is 'sinless' in a sense. If you remember the bible story there was no such thing as death or pain before Adam and Eve ate the fruit. I see Lilith as a Goddess to not fear but to look up too as she is old and wise and understands life and death, as they are both important parts in our life (rebirth). I don't believe she is a being to go around killing children (though from stories i heard the Christian God kills 1000 of her children a day) I believe people may of gotten mixed up between Lilith and Lilitu (a demoness who killed children) Though as Lilith as a Sukkubus I can see.. She is a Goddess of lust and sexual activity so yeah.. That's a possibility. I have tapped into her power a few times and she is actually suprisingly gentle and loving, though I'm sure she has her angry moments (like everyone else) I'm not pretending to know all this, this is just my opinion on her. She is seen as a dark Goddess and i believe it to be a good term for her as I think she would allow many things other gods or goddesses don't (as using magic to manipulate a persons
Mind but never to harm them I don't think) I also don't believe she would ask for any 'blood sacrifices' or anything like that as she i do not believe, is a vampire. It's funny you should mention her to be in reference to fairies because I was just thinking about that this morning, while listening to 'heart of Lilith by Inkkubus Sukkubus' Well that's about all I have heard/know of her. Pretty much I do not see her as evil (what is evil anyway?) or in anyway harmful to those who wish to worship her. In fact I see her as a great role model, she doesn't let herself be intimidated by any man and she knows exactly what she wants and goes for it!
Blessed Be
MOTHERofDRAGONS

Post by MOTHERofDRAGONS »

There are other ideas... That she came before the bible... That she was added to the bible to throw off Christians and make her an evil entity...

Read on.. And make an informed desicion.
Lilith is certainly not a Christian concept. She is the merest footnote in Christian mythology; her name seems to be a corruption of the Sumerian/Akkadian goddess Belit-lit, and she is apparently related to the Canaanite goddess Baalat. She only receives a single passing mention in the canonical Bible, in Isaiah.

http://gnosis.org/lilith.htm.

Blessings

This may give you an idea.
SeerShadow

Post by SeerShadow »

I'm a guy, and am really drawn to Lilith. Ever since I first heard about her I was always intrigued.

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”