List of gods and godesses.

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
Witch1693

List of gods and godesses.

Post by Witch1693 »

ok i know that i could search this whole forum and find out all of the gods and goddesses and what all of them are and represent. i know about pan but none others. i am very lazy! lol!

Alex
[SanityIsLost]

Post by [SanityIsLost] »

Have you done any searching? There are many different pantheons. Which one do you follow? Are you looking for us to give you a list of all the gods in every pantheon we know of? I guess I don't totally understand what you want us to give you? :?
LaFiamma
Banned Member

Re: List of gods and godesses.

Post by LaFiamma »

Witch1693 wrote:ok i know that i could search this whole forum and find out all of the gods and goddesses and what all of them are and represent. i know about pan but none others. i am very lazy! lol!

Alex
Michael Jordan's (no not that Michael Jordan...) Encyclopedia of Gods lists like 2500 gods, goddesses and demigods....and I know of quite a few other gods that it doesn't list. No, you're not going to search the forum and find 'em all.

The Aztecs are only one culture, and they had well over a thousand deities to themselves.

Are you interested in a particular pantheon? You meantion Pan...are you looking for the Greek gods?
Witch1693

Post by Witch1693 »

No just the wiccan gods. i am starting to follow wiccan and i just need a simple list of all of the gods and godesses.
juliaki

Post by juliaki »

To the best of my knowledge, information on the deities used within Traditional Wiccan practices have never been published. They are oathbound within traditional lines, and the only way to find them out would be to study and initiate within a traditional coven.

On the other hand, there are no restrictions out there about what deities choose to call you (or what deities you decide to honor) for a more generic Pagan practice.
Witch1693

Post by Witch1693 »

Ok so i can decide to call my gods what i want? i did not know this. so i can make a god to represent my gods? well i still want a basic list listing Pan, Greenman, and millenea goddes, etc..
LaFiamma
Banned Member

Post by LaFiamma »

Witch1693 wrote:Ok so i can decide to call my gods what i want? i did not know this. so i can make a god to represent my gods? well i still want a basic list listing Pan, Greenman, and millenea goddes, etc..

if by "millenea goddes" you mean the Millenium Gaia....that's a specific artists interpretation of Gaea, who is a Greek goddess.

again...there are so many deities that you're not going to find "a basic listing"

As far as what you call your gods...well, do you feel a calling to any particular pantheon? If so, you want to learn about that pantheon. Do you believe in the gods as separate entities, or do you believe in the many deities as aspects of one god and one goddess? Many flks who believe in the gods as aspects of one god simply refer to them as "the god" and "the goddess" and refer to particular names depending on the occasion.

The most portable listing of gods that I know of is the book that I mentioned in a previous post on this thread. There is also the website
http://www.pantheon.org
thatguy

Post by thatguy »

Hello witch1693,

I know nothing about the deities of Traditional Wiccan practices that juliaki mentioned, but I believe what she says. However, if you earnestly wish for it to happen, I believe a God or Goddess will visit you; one that takes a personal interest in you.

my best wishes for you,

T. Guy.
[Hearthwitch]

Post by [Hearthwitch] »

It's always good to learn more about gods and goddesses. Just remember that some gods and goddesses don't get along and mixing and matching pantheons can sometimes get you into trouble. Some god/desses also have preferences about how they're treated and worshiped.

Many encyclopedias really don't mention this and such books should only be considered a first stop. Once you get a basic understanding of a god/dess, you need to read the specific myths involved and then about the culture the god or goddess is from. Getting into contact with the appropriate reconstructionist group is another possibility. They should be able to help you with some of the lesser known details.

This might seem unnecessary but it is really just a basic form of politeness. By greeting the god/dess in the right way and being considerate of his/her status and role, you increase your odds of forming a positive working relationship and not being smote into dust particles :).

Hearthwitch.
LaFiamma
Banned Member

Post by LaFiamma »

Hearthwitch wrote: Many encyclopedias really don't mention this and such books should only be considered a first stop. Once you get a basic understanding of a god/dess, you need to read the specific myths involved and then about the culture the god or goddess is from. Getting into contact with the appropriate reconstructionist group is another possibility. They should be able to help you with some of the lesser known details.

true...encyclopedias aren't a basis for worship, but they are a starting point for some basic information
fishtoes

Post by fishtoes »

To my knowledge, there aren't any specific "Wiccan Gods," though. Wicca is eclectic and you can call on as many gods/goddesses as you want to, from any pantheon or combination of pantheons.

Right?

I do know a lot of Wiccans seem to be into the Celtic paths, but Greek, Norse, Roman, and Egyptian are popular, as well.
Don't forget, there's also Native American (of which there are many, many tribes), Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Teutonic, Russian, African, Haitian Vodou, and even Judeo/Christian icons, too!
LaFiamma
Banned Member

Post by LaFiamma »

fishtoes wrote:To my knowledge, there aren't any specific "Wiccan Gods," though. Wicca is eclectic and you can call on as many gods/goddesses as you want to, from any pantheon or combination of pantheons.

Right?
What juliaki said a few posts up.
Storm

Post by Storm »

Researching the many Gods and Goddesses and delving deep into mythology can be a magical and inspiring experience. That's my advice anyway.

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”