Prayer methods

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
JaceGem

Prayer methods

Post by JaceGem »

So I was raised in a Christian household where it was taught when you speak to god you speak/think formally and clearly. Thing is I'm terrible at that method of prayer, and have always been the kind to simply think the prayer instead of speak it. I want to sit down and pray/'speak' to Apollo to ask him a few things but I'm unsure if he'd be offended if I spoke to him casually like I would anyone else. Still in a respectful manner, just casually and not too wordy. I feel I stumble too much when I try to prettify my language. Think that's a good idea?
planewalker
Banned Member
Location: In my head with all the other inmates. We think one of us is schizophrenic.

Re: Prayer methods

Post by planewalker »

I think it's best to be yourself. People tend to freak out when praying. If I were a deity, my job would be complicated enough without cutting through 10 pounds of s... in a 5 pound bag. It's not like you'd think about dusting off your Ionian Greek to pray. If your sincere and yourself that's all any self-respecting God could want.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

It takes us all different lengths of time to break out of the structure-everything thought mold of prior experience, and to decide when it's needed. Letting ourselves use normal language from the heart is awakening. The ChristianScriptures only give one instruction on how to pray, and it is a formula-style that is also found in ancient Egypt, Sumar and Greece, so the form is not owned by any single religion. It's still used today. And it uses plain-speak, preferably in private. The formula is to address the deity & state what they are known for, make the practical petition, ask for guidance and protection, and close with another statement of the deity's strengths. Its often a form used in Biblical Psalms as well. In witchcraft there's the freedom to approach all god-forms or none at all. Witchcraft initially appears to have related to a Lord and/or Lady of Nature, as far as anyone can tell, and Wicca does too.

The use of pantheons is a practice that was adapted into some Wiccan practices from magical lodges as a means of individual spiritual development. As far as I can tell it's not a tenet or a requirement. It's an option. That allows lots of wiggle room. :D
autumn swan

Post by autumn swan »

Why don't you ask Apollo himself? From my few experiences with him I think he'll be glad about any kind of attention :wink2: . Also gods usually don't care about the how you phrase anything, they sense yuor vibration and feelings. Just go ahead and talk casually, or light a candle, or whatever comes to mind and you think it would be good.
And do. Tell us about your experiences, too, I'm curious. :D
May the Lord and the Lady bless you.
JaceGem

Post by JaceGem »

Update to this. I've spoken to Apollo several times now in just plain ol' casual talk like I was speaking to a friend and he doesn't seem to mind too much how I talk to him as long as it's respectful. Had a good conversation with him tonight and he spoke to me the same way I spoke to him, and it felt more like a chat with a friend or parent rather than someone I'm supposed to suck up to which to me is SO refreshing given how I was taught as a kid. Glad to see he's just happy to have a chat with me when he feels up to it.
autumn swan

Post by autumn swan »

Great! I'm glad it worked out for you. :wink2:
May the Lord and the Lady bless you.
Shekinah

Post by Shekinah »

We know a thing or two about interdimensional and other-worldly communication and that verbal or silent linguistic efforts are fruitless. The only mode of off world communication is via mental imagery that conveys a message. There are so many languages used on our world and infinitely more on other worlds are we to suppose the Gods are fluent in all of them? Our pets, other critters and foreigners understand body language, emotion, tone and facial expressions more explicitly then spoken words. Mathematics and imagery is the languages of the universe. Don't pray create a mental image associated with the intended recipient then release it. If your God/Goddess seems to understand your supplication He/She is reading emotion and imagery between the lines.
Truth and Reality are highly guarded secrets. Nothing is as it appears. "The ONENESS sleeps in the stone, breathes in the plant, dreams in the animal and awakens in man" (Indian proverb)
moonlightsonata

Post by moonlightsonata »

I think there is a difference between ritual "speak" and personal prayer. I tend to be more formal in ritual then in my personal devotions. I do have a couple of more formal prayers written out to my matrons because I'm a former Catholic and I see value in having both written, more formal prayers that you can turn to when you aren't feeling creative or can't think of what to say, and in also having less formal, spontaneous prayer. I do think for developing any sort of relationship with a deity, engaging in the less formal prayer is a must.
Daughter of Hecate and the Morrigan
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

(Personal opinions)

I have found the type of relationship you seek with "deity" is often the one you will get. Formal creates a formal relationship (Apollonian), personal a personal one (Dionysian). Like in all things a balance between the two is probably the most profitable.

Fearful people can find fearsome deities, submissive people can find dominant, unyielding deities. These are difficult to approach - there is no equality which can create abusive situations, for ourselves, for other people (often in projection). Some people in the craft with an interest in spiritual evolution however want to be challenged and thereby draw challenging expressions, personas, or purviews of divinity.

Yet mostly at the core as friends? healers, companions, wise council, guardians, teachers and guides? As partners in the manifestation of our lives with shared respect and honesty it is a personal divine relationship all sides can profit from.

Be blessed

-----

Be with me my Mother,
my Sister,
my Daughter,
my Lady,
my Goddess;
the silver in the strands.

Be with me my Father,
my Brother,
my Son,
my lord,