Trying to find names for my triple goddess aspects...?

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
Hawk

Trying to find names for my triple goddess aspects...?

Post by Hawk »

I've been hesitating to ask this, but it seems like a nice community, so maybe...
Okay, so I've been interested in Greek mythology since I was young, and while this can partially be attributed to the Percy Jackson books (very good books!), even then, raised in a Christian environment (though not a Christian family), I prayed to the Greek gods once or twice.
My point being- I've been drawn to Greek mythology, and its gods, since an early age. Namely, Artemis, and a little to Athena. Recently, this has extended a little to Hades, and more greatly to Hestia. But, and here's the thing- I was drawn to Hestia as a mother goddess, but upon researching, discovered she is a virgin goddess.
And I... am not sure what to do with this. I lean towards worshipping a Mother and a Maiden- and then a Crone less by feeling, but by the understanding that a Crone is needed to complete the triple. And I saw Artemis as the Maiden and Hestia as the Mother- until I was proved wrong. I also, apparently, lean towards fire goddesses as the Mother- but, of course, there is only Hestia as a fire goddess in Greek mythology.
So I suppose this is a general... What do I do? I don't feel drawn to Hecate as the triple goddess- and I feel the same with a few other gods and goddesses.
(Thank you for reading!)
— Hawk.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Re: Trying to find names for my triple goddess aspects...?

Post by SnowCat »

Hestia is the goddess of home and family, so I think the mother aspect fits very well. Just don't limit yourself to thinking that being a mother requires popping something out of the lady parts.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Hawk

Post by Hawk »

Do you think it would be possible to consider Artemis not the Maiden herself, but an aspect of her, and have the same for Hestia and the Mother? The book I'm reading currently about witchcraft is big on the sexual union between the Goddess and the God, and that has a certain resonance with me, which is why I struggle with thinking of Hestia wholly as the Mother. So, each god or goddess would be an aspect of the Goddess and the Horned God. I know everyone has their own path, in Paganism, but I don't know if I've heard of anyone else doing this, and I'd rather not be totally alone in my beliefs.
— Hawk.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I think that's a good way to look at it. Artemis is a little wilder, Hestia a little more settled. They can take on roles in your spirituality without fitting into an exact mold. It may be that you have yet to discover the crone aspect that feels right to you.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Hawk

Post by Hawk »

Good, then! That gives me something to think about. Thanks for your time!
— Hawk.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

It made me think about mine as well. Freya represents the maiden, Seth met represents the mother, and Bast represents the crone. I hadn't really thought about it before. I love it when new members make think about my own spiritual path.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
lizzel21

Post by lizzel21 »

I've always loved greek mythology, in fact, my cats are named after Goddesses and Gods. One of my favorite things about Paganism in general is its all pretty loose, whatever feels right to you is right for you. You may have to sit back and stop thinking about it for a bit and you might surprise yourself by thinking hey, this feels perfect! I think Hestia would be a perfect mother, but that is just my opinion, if it doesn't feel good to you thats fine, find whatever fits. Demeter might be a good option for you. Also, what book are you reading! I'm in need of a good read and yours piqued my interest.
Siona

Post by Siona »

For whatever it's worth, it can help to keep in mind that the maiden-mother-crone triad is not an ancient outlook, and it's not something we have to always fit into our lives. In antiquity goddesses rarely fit neatly into one category. We might think of Artemis as the virgin maiden, but Artemis of Ephesus was regarded as a mother and fertility goddess. She also has many classical ties to disease and death (both bringing and averting it), which a lot of people might associate with the crone. Likewise, as you've noticed, Hestia is one of the virgin goddesses, yet she is the hearthfire, the one who is said to have invented houses, so there is that mothering quality.

Even a lot of classical triads don't mesh well with the maiden-mother-crone. In antiquity there was Artemis-Hekate-Selene, but both Artemis and Hekate are virgin/maiden goddesses with many similarities. And while she is a mother (to a whole lot of children!), Selene isn't often what one thinks of when they think of a mother goddess (although I am sure she is to some). The triad had it's own meaning to the ancient Greeks. (Hekate herself, when depicted as triplicate, was shown as three identical maidens, not a maiden-mother-crone.)

As SnowCat mentioned, Artemis and Hestia have their on duality going on, and make a very interesting pair together. The wild and domestic, the boundary of the yard and the forest beyond it, etc. There is a lot to work with there alone. Classically the dual hearth/home-wilderness combination was quite important to many cultures.

I guess what I'm saying is explore the deities you have interest in, look into other 'archetypes,' beyond maiden-mother-crone, see where it leads you. Maybe it leads you away from that particular triad, and maybe it brings you back around to it with a deeper understanding. Hard to know where the path goes, but don't get too tied down to one aspect of it. ;)
Hawk

Post by Hawk »

Ah, I've read that the triad is/can be considered a new thing- and I see what you mean about the duality of Artemis and Hestia. Hmm... Okay! Thanks!
And, lizzel21, the book I'm reading is Hedge Witch: A Guide to Solitary Witchcraft by Rae Beth. It's nice for some aspects of theory, and I've taken the Goddess and Horned God invocations from it, but it is a little 'you have to do this exactly like I say'. Still, it's a good book, so if that doesn't put you off, go for it!
— Hawk.
lizzel21

Post by lizzel21 »

I actually think I have that one! I just haven't read it yet. I'm always looking for more information and different view points. Thanks! And good luck figuring out your tripple Goddess! I'm interested to know what you decide on!
Hawk

Post by Hawk »

I hope you enjoy the book! And thank you!
— Hawk.

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”