Who/What to Worship

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
Aesiryth

Who/What to Worship

Post by Aesiryth »

Hello,
So I have had enormous amounts of trouble with this. I have no idea who/what to worship. For a while I have just been keeping it at the universal spirit and saying thanks to that, but I feel like I need more than just that. I hear about how some Gods and Goddesses call upon certain people by giving them hints of sorts and they eventually start to worship them. I don't think that has ever happened to me. I tried the God and Goddess, but it just didn't feel right. I honestly have no idea what to do.

Just to give some background to help people out in responding. I am an eclectic witch (I have trouble with calling myself Wiccan. I know, it's weird). My great grandmother, grandmother, great aunt, and aunt practice witchcraft but they incorporate the Christian god which I do not believe in. We used to call my great grandmother a white witch haha. Anyway yeah eclectic, I've kinda chosen how I practice, but I have no idea who/what to worship. Or how I could worship them if I did end up finding out who to worship.

Help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
-Aesiryth
"At the center of your being you have the answer;
You know who you are and what you want."

-Lao Tzu
Myrth

Re: Who/What to Worship

Post by Myrth »

Ultimately this is the most intimate decision you make. It may be best to start reading about different gods and goddesses to see which ones resonate with you. Try picking a pantheon that appeals to you to study. Personally, I studied Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism, as well as the Celtic pantheon. But ultimately I am a panentheist, meaning that the divine is in all and all is in the divine, but I don't worship particular gods or goddesses, although I do enjoy reading about them. I believe the divine incorporates both male and female energy.

But my views are in a distinct minority. Just keep searching and you will find what you seek. Namaste.
Myrth
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

It's hard for me to say what works, because it may not work for you. It is very individualistic. What draws me may not be what calls you.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I use the phrase "work with," rather than worship in regard to the eclectic pantheon that I follow. I just feel that my deities and are a team.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Jenny Crow

Post by Jenny Crow »

I would suggest, as Myrth did, to read about the diferent pantheons. A lot of people are drawn to the gods who are from the same country/area that their ancestors come from. For example, my ancestors are native to the north of England and my patron deity is the Goddess of the Celtic tribe who inhabited the area that I and my ancestors come from.

You may find yourself drawn to the Greek gods for some reason or the Norse gods. There are many pantheons to choose from
Becks

Post by Becks »

I agree with Snow in that I use the same language and enter into similar working relationships...or partnerships as Snow said.

I also agree with ithe others in that it's personal, and reading and research helps. Knowing the area of study that you are drawn to helps. There's always a correspondence. Is it possible that if you have been reading and still don't feel any pull that maybe this isn't the time for you to be working with a particular deity? It's not a requirement. Maybe you are to work with other entities or spirit forms? Not everybody works with a god or goddess. And NO it doesn't sound weird that you aren't Wiccan. Not all here are Wiccan.

It's your path, enjoy it.
Aesiryth

Post by Aesiryth »

Thank you all for the input. I used word worship because I couldn't find a better word or phrase at the time. Yes, work with is a much better way to put things. Thanks again everyone, I will definitely put into consideration all of this when I start looking for who to work with.

-Aesiryth
"At the center of your being you have the answer;
You know who you are and what you want."

-Lao Tzu
Shekinah

Post by Shekinah »

I agree "worship" masks to some degree our purpose for establishing a relationship with Divinity. The formal religions primarily worship their Deity, on the other hand we of Pagan/Wiccan persuasion seek guidance, protection and communication with Divinities. We enjoy a completely different more intimate relationship with our chosen God/Goddess/Spirit Guide. I really don't believe such beings are at all interested in being worshiped. Their interest in mortals is as teacher, guide and protector to facilitate our evolution into higher states of being.

Perhaps of interest to some might be that in conformance with laws of Quantum physics it is probable that a Spiritual entity is capable of bi-location to as many as 3000 locations simultaneously. Sounds like a lot but considering the number of mortals that may be attempting communication with such an entity we should respect a some-what limited capability to respond to each and all and not approach with frivolous purpose.
Truth and Reality are highly guarded secrets. Nothing is as it appears. "The ONENESS sleeps in the stone, breathes in the plant, dreams in the animal and awakens in man" (Indian proverb)
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

I was thinking about this recently, and do not call myself Wiccan at all, I am Witch and so was my mother and grandmother.
Then I realised that I am Ancient Egyptian worshipper, Isis, Sehmet, Hathor, Ma'at, Anubis, they all are a part of me, I do not worship them, they are gods and deities but my altar has them all there.
Shekinah

Post by Shekinah »

Ivy I also am not Wiccan I am a Witch. I love Pagans and Wiccans they are good people.
Truth and Reality are highly guarded secrets. Nothing is as it appears. "The ONENESS sleeps in the stone, breathes in the plant, dreams in the animal and awakens in man" (Indian proverb)
Wimsaur

Post by Wimsaur »

Why not start with the "1 God" or "The ALL"?
Both male, female, both, and neither. Creator of All, including everything there has ever been, ever will be, and never will be.
Incorporating all there is that is real and all there is that is unreal.
"The ALL is Mind, the Universe is mental". -The Kybalion.

Wimsaur.

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”