The father/son

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
Angel_Beast1221

The father/son

Post by Angel_Beast1221 »

So this may be an ignorant question but I am still trying to learn, when does the Father die and become reborn as the son?

For some reason this is very confusing to me..It just started getting colder and colder where I live and I feel like he is losing himself.

I have a strong connection to the Earth and I feel like a part of it is weakening, does this mean he is going to "die" soon?
I dance with dragons beneath the stars and run with foxes through the groves
Siona

Re: The father/son

Post by Siona »

The most frequent mythos I've seen has the God dying at Samhain, and being reborn with the sun at Yule. However, I have seen some place the rebirth at Ostara, instead.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

There are a couple of myths associated with the Wiccan cycle of the God and Goddess that I have seen. One is the story Siona mentioned, where the God is born each Yule, grows in power, makes love to the Goddess at Beltane, reaches his peak at Litha, then gifts us the harvest, and dies at Samhain. The Goddess carries the God in her womb from Beltane until Yule, when he is born again.

The other is that there are two Gods who battle every year: the Holly King and the Oak King, who rule the darker and lighter halves of the year respectively.

It's interesting that you feel that you have a strong connection to the Earth, Angel_Beast, but your current connection is weakening. Some interpret winter as the season of Earth, of going in, being still and quiet (a more "feminine" time of the year, if you go by yin/yang associations). You might connect to the earth more in terms of plant life, the harvest, and the solar cycle. What does the darker half of the year mean to you?
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Angel_Beast1221

Post by Angel_Beast1221 »

I have always seen the darker half of the year as a time of deep sleep or hibernation. As I got older it seems that of my relatives that passed away they do so in the fall, September, October, and November and that made me start seeing it as a time for death, I would mourn through the winter and as the green started to come back in the spring I would honor the members of my family by planting something, either in my yard or in my home depending on how I am feeling.
I dance with dragons beneath the stars and run with foxes through the groves
HopefulChild

Post by HopefulChild »

I wonder if it has any significance that the majority of my relatives die around April?
Grandmother end of march
Grandfather beginning of april
Father beginning of may
Brother beginning of may
mrsdavid1975

The father/son

Post by mrsdavid1975 »

HopefulChild wrote:I wonder if it has any significance that the majority of my relatives die around April?
Grandmother end of march
Grandfather beginning of april
Father beginning of may
Brother beginning of may

Every woman ( this is my genetic " witch" line by the way) on my mom's side of the family was born in July. Except me. All the way back to the 1700s. Every woman has children each two years. And every woman had a first child a year later than the previous generation. I'm the first in the line to be born in August instead. My sister even had a daughter in July. My mom doesn't practice the old ways .. But she's very superstitious and had two daughters both born on the 13th.

I pick on my mom
Constantly. " you messed it up and got frisky a month too late ". Haha.

( I know this is slightly off topic , but it's relative to his statement and I think it's kind of interesting. .. You mods can delete this if you wish. Heh )
mrsdavid1975

Post by mrsdavid1975 »

Angel_Beast1221 wrote:I have always seen the darker half of the year as a time of deep sleep or hibernation. As I got older it seems that of my relatives that passed away they do so in the fall, September, October, and November and that made me start seeing it as a time for death, I would mourn through the winter and as the green started to come back in the spring I would honor the members of my family by planting something, either in my yard or in my home depending on how I am feeling.

I feel like your gift of connection with animals has to do with this too. Your connections are mostly sleeping in winter.

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”