experiences with epona?

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
lithe_forager

experiences with epona?

Post by lithe_forager »

recently called upon her out of the blue after realizing some signs. any experiences with her? anyone else have her as a deity or has had? what kind of offerings does she like? i hope she responds in my dreams because i have read up on her and she is said to be a deity of dream work. also worried she is gonna drive me sooner to the country than i have planned to....living in the city until june/july but getting restless in these winter months. restless for mountains and nature, but also restless for babies and i asked her to help me conceive.
onyx208

Re: experiences with epona?

Post by onyx208 »

Epona is my goddess. She is wonderous. She appeared to me through my late horse before I even came to believe in her. My alter to her includes a picture of my horse posted above the alter, Right where my herbal candle lights up in the dark. I have one of my late horse's horseshoes, an oriental horse statuette to represent water (I have a deeper reason for that), black Onyx because that was her show name (I adopted the name as my own a few years ago), hay and lavendar for peaceful dreaming, a feather to represent air and because that is my other horse's icon/symbol, and in the center is a lock of my late horse's hair. Epona seems very pleased with that set up because I get so much out of my meditation and spiritual rituals I perform to her. Additionally, I have been plagued with nightmares for my entire life but now I am dreaming very complex and revealing to interesting things.
lithe_forager

Post by lithe_forager »

wow i am so excited!!! i have a lot of horsey things also have been an equestrian for 8 years then took a 5 year break. working with horses a year and half ago helped me get over some trauma i faced in an abusive relationship. I am now seriously considering training horses and recovery volunteer work for abused and neglected babies again. I also prefer to communicate to gods and goddesses mostly through dreams since i am still recovering from past trauma. i put some chai tea out for her and a little metal horse and rider figurine i hope she likes it. i got lost recently going to pick up a friend i was real frantic but took this scenic route out of the city filled with streams, country cottages and horsies and it made me real nostalgic
onyx208

Post by onyx208 »

I too have trauma due to an abusive relationship. Horses have helped me exponentially, even before I came to believe in Epona.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I've had occasional dreams of going riding I a strange an unexpected place. But when I get there, I realize it's where I always belonged. The horse are friendly, and it's a mutual association of humans and horse caring for each other. Brian a always waits for me there. A chestnut mare who has taken me as her project. I don't see them often. They're my back up. They're my court of last resort when checking out isn't an option.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
onyx208

Post by onyx208 »

Tomorrow is her day! Are you doing anything special for her?
Kyrie

Post by Kyrie »

Epona was the first deity I worked with when I first joined Sacred Mists. This was what I wrote down in my BoS during my experience with her:

Epona was originally a Celtic goddess, but when the Romans came through, the worship of Epona spread through Europe. She is a protectress of horses and mules, as well as dogs. She is also a fertility goddess.

The myth of Epona is that her father, a man, did not like woman so he mated with a mare, which is how Epona was conceived. Because of her human/horse parentage, Epona has the ability to take either shape.

She holds the key to the gates of the Underworld. She and her horses guide departed souls there in the afterlife. Epona is also a fertility goddess, as well as a dream goddess (specifically nightmares). She is the patroness of journeys (physical, mental, and spiritual). To me, she is a symbol of independence.

Call on Epona for:
Protection and healing (particularly for animals)
To become fertile in mind, body, and spirit
For dream enhancement and recall
To banish nightmares in children
To enhance pathworking and divination
To teach women the power of sovereignty
To teach women to be whole and complete within themselves
Manifesting dreams
Protection when venturing on a new path in life
Trouble sleeping or wish to have insightful or peaceful dreams
Protection of families, children, and women who are about to give birth

Correspondences(Note: these correspondences are my OPINION and will not necessarily be the same as yours or anyone elses. This is just what works for me)

Day of the week: There is no particular day of the week associated with Epona. However, I associate her with Saturday (Saturn's Day) because of her connection to agriculture. Also, the Feast of Epona falls on December 18 and the Saturnalia falls on December 17.
Flowers and Herbs: Epona is often pictured with roses. Herbs associated with her include vervain and coltsfoot
Fragrances: and Incense: Roses
Crystals and Gemstones: Azurite is usually associated with Epona
Foods: Apples, carrots, grains (typical things to feed horses) and ears of corn
Metals: Iron
Favored offerings: Mare's milk, apples, or carrots
lithe_forager

Post by lithe_forager »

i think i may fix up my alter for her...no other plans. maybe cook something nice and offer it somewhere in nature
onyx208

Post by onyx208 »

This is not my regular alter, I just put it together because all the stuff was easy to travel with as I'm out of town. Now for a ritual/meditation to Epona! :)

[img]http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12 ... 69f70e.jpg[/img]
lithe_forager

Post by lithe_forager »

dogonnit i cant see it, speaking of dogs i kept leaving beet juice and oats out for epona on my alter for her but my dog kept eating it...i dont have a tall enough surface, but i lit a candle most of the day for her and said my respects. there are oat scatterings on the alter...i think she gets it though she is also associated with dogs soooo...i think its ok?
onyx208

Post by onyx208 »

[img]http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12 ... 8e4464.jpg[/img]

I can explain anything on the set up if you have questions. :)
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I think Epona probably gets that the offerings are for her. I doubt that she be grudges the dog taking what he thinks is his share. The dog has to have physical sustenance for his physical form. The offering to Epona is important in terms of intent. But once it's offered to her, if she wants to share with the dog, why not?

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”