Niord-Norse Vanir God of the Ocean and more

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Niord-Norse Vanir God of the Ocean and more

Post by loona wynd »

Niord is an interesting God. To me he has a wonderful sense of humor. I got this impression after doing an on the spot spirit called Blot (Norse Ritual) to him one day while I was at school. Here is the story:

Early in my exploration of Heathenry I found myself drawn to Niord. I believe this is for a few reasons. One is that I am a Scorpio and a water sign. The other is that I have always been near water. Most of the important events in my life especially have been near the ocean which is his domain.

When I first started to explore and practice Germanic paganism about 5 years ago I was attending college at the local community college. Now this campus has a lot of significant local history. It was a fort in Maine during the revolutionary wars and civil wars. This fort is also on the ocean and has a beach,

One day I decided to walk the beach during my break between classes. I was working towards including spirits of all important locations in my life into my practice at that time. While I was on the beach I felt a desire to perform an impromptu blot to Niord. I felt his presence there at the beach. I also felt Odin in the library and other areas but the beach and the Marine science buildings clearly had his presence there.

I was on the beach and knew his spirit was there. To honor him I felt I should do a ritual of some sort and give him an offering. Now this was and is a dry campus so there was no alchohol on the grounds. The only thing I had on me was a one liter of Mountain Dew.

I walked to a semi private location on the beach and traces out a ritual area. I said a prayer to Nirord thanking him for blessing this school and for being there. I also basically introduced myself to him at that point knowing that because of my history and connections with oceans and water he would be in my life everywhere. I then poured out a drink to him with pure sacred intent. I took a drink for myself in his honor and thought about our connection. I released the circle and walked away.

I continued to drink the soda the rest of the day but it had a deeper significance than enjoying the taste and keeping my mouth wet during classes. It was for that day at least connected to an act of worship to a God I had very little knowledge of aside from his association with oceans.

As I walked away I saw a smile overlooking the beach and a hearty laugh. I felt the winds slightly pick up and caress my face. I knew that my offering had been accepted and that he understood my limitation on items available. He seemed to also enjoy the attention and the fact that I was dedicated enough to do what I was called to do when I was called to do that work.

That's the end of the story. I thought it would be interesting to share. I was wondering if any one else has worshiped Niord or spent any time with him?
Holdasown

Re: Niord-Norse Vanir God of the Ocean and more

Post by Holdasown »

I have never had an specific experience with Njord but I have always found him to be pretty easy going and approachable based on what others have said. He seems to be an ambassador and is focused on trade. Being a swimmer I had a coach with the coolest feet. I would always stare at them when he stood by the pool. When I read the story about Skadi and Njord's feet I had to laugh. I am working on doing a net to put on my altar for Njord. Sort of a knot magic thing. Thanks for sharing the story.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Holdasown wrote:I have never had an specific experience with Njord but I have always found him to be pretty easy going and approachable based on what others have said.
He seems to come across that way in the lore as well. The experience I shared has been my only real experience directly with him but when I have strong wind and can smell the ocean breeze I know hes near by.
Holdasown wrote:He seems to be an ambassador and is focused on trade.
Hes also a fertility God like the Vanir though his fertility is focused on the fish and the sea. He does seem to have a connection to fishermen as well.
Holdasown wrote: Being a swimmer I had a coach with the coolest feet. I would always stare at them when he stood by the pool. When I read the story about Skadi and Njord's feet I had to laugh.
I love that story. I think for me its funny. She assumed that Baldr would have the best feet but it was Nirod. Which makes sense considering he was always walking in the ocean with wet feet. They are still a married couple in the lore even if they don't live together (Niord and Skadi). I often give her an offering too when I give one to Niord as they are connected and will be forever. That and I also have connections to mountains and wild spaces like that with the ocean connection I see them as a pair who have made major influences on my spirit and my life. Maine is really the perfect place for those two. Miles of ocean shore front, lots of forests, and mountains. They both have homes here.
Holdasown wrote: I am working on doing a net to put on my altar for Njord. Sort of a knot magic thing. Thanks for sharing the story.
Sounds cool. I bet he would like it. I'm hoping to get a few new storage containers like the one I have my Dragon altar on so I can build an altar for the Norse Gods. Sometimes my witchcraft and my Germanic rituals are mixed but most of the time they are separate. So I've been feeling called to have an altar set up for them alone.
seidkonacat

Post by seidkonacat »

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with Njord (or however you like to spell it). I've never really worked with him directly, but he seems like a rather calm deity. I think there's a really interesting contrast between the ore serene, easy-going Njord and the other Norse sea gods (or possibly Jotunn) Ran and Aegir, who are slightly more malevolent. I've never had a strong water connection (I'm an earth sign, Taurus, and alost all of y correspondences are either earth or fire) but Njord seems like a very cool deity. I was told this past summer by a Norwegian friend of mine that in some very rural Nordic communities they still thank Njord when they catch a good haul of fish.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

seidkonacat wrote:Thank you so much for sharing your experience with Njord (or however you like to spell it).
I've always seen it Niord/Njord.
seidkonacat wrote: Any way I've never really worked with him directly, but he seems like a rather calm deity. I think there's a really interesting contrast between the ore serene, easy-going Njord and the other Norse sea gods (or possibly Jotunn) Ran and Aegir, who are slightly more malevolent.
That's also one of the charecteristic differences between the Jotun, the Vanir, and the Aesir is their basic temperments. The Vanir in general seem to be more laid back but ready to act when needed. The Jotun are agressive and powerful. The Aesir are sort of between the two. Its also in someways a progression of how the tribes of Gods were worshiped and honored. Jotun>Vanir>Aesir.
seidkonacat wrote: I've never had a strong water connection (I'm an earth sign, Taurus, and alost all of y correspondences are either earth or fire) but Njord seems like a very cool deity. I was told this past summer by a Norwegian friend of mine that in some very rural Nordic communities they still thank Njord when they catch a good haul of fish.
That would make sense. He was as I said a fertility deity mostly associated with the oceans bounty. The Norse were either fishermen or farmers. You had a few leaders/politicians and you had some warriors but most worked the land.
Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

Njord and Thor seem to be gods of the people in ways the others might not be.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Holdasown wrote:Njord and Thor seem to be gods of the people in ways the others might not be.
Well Thor is known to be the people's god for a reason. I expect that the majority of the people had closer relationships with the Gods connected directly to the land and the world they lived in than other Gods. Thor has many aspects and was considered a Farmers God, His hammer did bring the rains and his wife Sif's hair was a representation of the golden fields of grain and produce. So he was a God of the land.

Niord was a god of the seas. As I mentioned you either fished, farmed, or fought. There were a few traveling bards, poets, and some wizards/magicians but in general you had one of threes styles of life. The majority of the people worked the land or were some sort of craftsmen. So it makes sense that Niord and Thor would be Gods of the people.
seidkonacat

Post by seidkonacat »

loona wynd wrote:That would make sense. He was as I said a fertility deity mostly associated with the oceans bounty. The Norse were either fishermen or farmers. You had a few leaders/politicians and you had some warriors but most worked the land.
I've heard in my anthropology class that the most secure ancient occupation was to be a fisherman. Planted crops could fail, game could be scarce, but anyone who knew the ways of water could always catch fish. I think that Njord, as a god of fertility and abundance, reflects this viewpoint.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

seidkonacat wrote:
loona wynd wrote:That would make sense. He was as I said a fertility deity mostly associated with the oceans bounty. The Norse were either fishermen or farmers. You had a few leaders/politicians and you had some warriors but most worked the land.
I've heard in my anthropology class that the most secure ancient occupation was to be a fisherman. Planted crops could fail, game could be scarce, but anyone who knew the ways of water could always catch fish. I think that Njord, as a god of fertility and abundance, reflects this viewpoint.
I agree. The Norse people were dependent upon the sea like other cultures. When the Norse started to settle Iceland they even more so depended upon the ocean as Iceland is an Island. They also depended on the sea for trade and war. That's where the vikings come in. Viking was actually an occupation in this culture. It was something they did from the start of the spring to the end of Fall.
seidkonacat

Post by seidkonacat »

loona wynd wrote:
seidkonacat wrote:
I agree. The Norse people were dependent upon the sea like other cultures. When the Norse started to settle Iceland they even more so depended upon the ocean as Iceland is an Island. They also depended on the sea for trade and war. That's where the vikings come in. Viking was actually an occupation in this culture. It was something they did from the start of the spring to the end of Fall.
Yes, exactly! The summer raids. It seems savage in today's day and age, but for the Vikingr it was a way of life. You can coppare the to pirates, really, except they preyed on land more than sea (though they did have sea battles). So the sea was a source of travel and riches, as well as abundance and life. I think perhaps this is why they had different sea-deities--Njord the prosperous, proud fisherman is on one side of the spectrum while Ran and Aegir--the dim, murky gods of the deeper, deadlier waters--are on the other side.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Ive done some more research and Niord was also a God of wealth. Which when you consider both the raids (which required water to get from place to place) and the fishing it made sense. I said a prayer to him the other night and he has listened. I got what I wanted-to be able to have the funds to make it through the month and to be successful. So I think its time for me to reconnect with him more. I'm looking at my desk and I think I may be able to make a small shrine for him on my desk.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

seidkonacat wrote:
Yes, exactly! The summer raids. It seems savage in today's day and age, but for the Vikingr it was a way of life. You can coppare the to pirates, really, except they preyed on land more than sea (though they did have sea battles). So the sea was a source of travel and riches, as well as abundance and life. I think perhaps this is why they had different sea-deities--Njord the prosperous, proud fisherman is on one side of the spectrum while Ran and Aegir--the dim, murky gods of the deeper, deadlier waters--are on the other side.
The raids required sea navigation in order to work. Remember they traveled the channels, the rivers, and the ocean paths in order to get from place to place. This is why they have found Viking artifacts as far east as parts of China. The vikings really got around. So when you combine the wealth from the sea raids (and even the lowest class member on the raid got part of the spoils), the wealth of the sea from fishing, and his general association with fertility and prosperity as a member of the Vanir (which we can tell from what little lore we have were fertility based deities) its easy to see why one association of his is a bestow-er of wealth.

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”