Honoring Lilith

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
Mistress Venus

Honoring Lilith

Post by Mistress Venus »

I have felt drawn to Lilith for some time but have had mixed feeling because people believe she is evil and not technically a ''Deity''. Should I look else where for a different deity? I understand her dark nature but I feel I have one as well not that I'm ''evil'' or anything. I guess I was just wondering if anyone honors her too and how it has effected them. Also would like some advice/thoughts. Thanks!
Echo_of_shadows

Re: Honoring Lilith

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

How do you feel about Lilith? Are you comfortable working with her? If you don't feel that she is evil, what does it matter what other people feel? Some people believe that she isn't a deity, but there are others that believe she is. According to http://www.pantheon.org/articles/l/lilith.html, she is associated with the Sumero-Babylonian Goddess Belit-ili, or Belili. And to the Canaanites, Lilith was Baalat, the "Divine Lady."
My suggestion is that you should research some of the mythology about Lilith and meditate and talk to her, then decide how you feel. Your feelings are what matter most in just about everything you do. If she is the deity for you, she'll let you know.
To get more opinions on her, you can look through the rest of the Gods/Goddesses section. I found 4 threads about her, just on the first three pages. :flyingwitch:
-Dark-Moon-

Post by -Dark-Moon- »

I personally am wary of Lilith.

However, most of the people I have heard of getting completely creamed by her are men.

In life I can think of one Witch whom I completely respect and trust whose patron deity is Lilith. She says Lilith is largely misunderstood.

She's an ancient Sumerian desert storm spirit and Babylonian goddess. She has owl feet as she's associated with an ancient giant owl that used to fly around and lay a huge amount of eggs and eat babies in the meantime. Of course there's the whole Christian garden of Eden associations which I'm sure you already know and I won't go into.

She has appeared to me in dreams but like you I have an uneasy feeling about working with her.

They say if you write her name she can not hurt you.

Some swear black and blue she is a demonic entity, others say she is only a goddess who was 'demonised' by the church and Christianity.

This is one of those situations where you must decide for yourself. I'm always hesitant of working with those spirits who might lay claim to your first born, if ya know what I mean.

Tread lightly.

Blessings, Dark Moon
I am that which is attained at the end of desire
random417

Post by random417 »

Even within the Hebrew/Christian context she didn't start out as a demon. She started as human mind you, not an angel or a goddess, but the worst I personally can imagine her isn't so much evil as really pissed off. When you read the lore, you'll see what we mean, but her demonic acts are driven by anger, not by evil. Assuming the Jewish/Christian lore is true, which helps understand that context of her, Lillith was punished for wanting equality between the genders. Yes, doing it with the force of evil and swearing vengeance on all of Adam's descendents was probably an over reaction, but one can see where she was coming from.
So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will.
Do that, and no other shall say nay.
For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect.
~AL 1:42-44
charmecia5

Post by charmecia5 »

Haven't worked with her, but I've always been interested in studying her and wanting to work with her. There is just something about Lilith that makes her so appealing along with Jezebel.
-Dark-Moon-

Post by -Dark-Moon- »

Those that wish to should go ahead and work with her, and post results. I'd be really interested to hear your experiences...
I am that which is attained at the end of desire
Caribbean_Blue

Post by Caribbean_Blue »

-Dark-Moon- wrote:Those that wish to should go ahead and work with her, and post results. I'd be really interested to hear your experiences...
I am also quite interested myself. I was also told this is an entity who is very predatory in nature. Tread lightly indeed.
Seraphin
Location: EUTM's dungeon, keeping a dragon egg in a pot over a fireplace!

Post by Seraphin »

I don't work with Lilith but I've met Her in one of my Enochian astral journey. I don't know why She's the one I met but maybe because She's part of my fiancee's pantheon.

Zoharistic tradition says, Lilith has a human face, has wings, clawed feet surrounded by owls that represent dark knowledge and eats children as soon as they are born. She also caused the fall of humanity in The Garden of Eden, as being the Serpent responsible for the temptation of Eve. In the Talmudic version of Her myth, Lilith was created, like Adam, from earth. Unlike, Eve, who was created from Adam's rib, which means Eve is part of Adam, Lilith was created as an equal to Her husband. However, during their lovemaking, Lilith enticed Adam into illicit sexual activities. Because of Adam's refusal, Lilith finally abandoned him but YHVH cursed Her and evolved overtime into a Daemoness. Ancient Sumerian people actually had recorded this "Lilith" for many centuries. Lilith embodies the very idea of a half-breed creature part human, part animal, part angel leading mankind astray with 'knowledge'. Most Demonolators though don't accept this depiction of Lilith as the destroyer of innocent lives, many honour Her as a protector of children and pregnant women as well as an advocate for women's rights.

Anyway, that being said, my meeting with this Deific Daemoness began when I do some angelic astral journey to meet the entities at the lowest level of the angelic hierarchy (as you may know I do explore a random square once a week via spirit vision). I first saw a column of dark gray smoke rose from the scrying ball in front of me. It lingered there until eventually it became a serpent, I just don't remember what breed it was. It was crawling for a few seconds and then it looked at me, then it spread its angel wings. It is a winged serpent. And then it transformed into a woman with wings.

It told me that its name is Lilith. Since Her domain (according to the internet) is sexuality and women's mystery I asked something about it. God! I cant remember what did I ask her.

Then I realized we're not in a different place. We're talking in my dark room. I asked Her to show me their 'world'. It brought me to a barren desert or wasteland. We went inside one of the ancient structures and inside were nude humans. We explored the dark, torch-lit corridors a bit more till we went outside, back in the barren land again. There I saw a erotic but gross scenario. There were two people there having sex.

Okay, I had enough of that so we went back to my room. The spirit Lilith had changed its appearance again. It is now a queen, sitting on a throne. The serpent which I was with earlier is now just a decoration on its headdress. There is a curious symbol on its clothing. She was surrounded by jackals, satyrs, and black birds

I wasn't able to ask much questions. I was just looking at Her. It told me that if I no longer need Her, I should let Her go. Now I got curious with the word She'd chosen: "let Her go", as if I had this spirit on a leash. It was the first time I got an impression of control over a Daemonic entity.
Seraphin

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.
mrsdavid1975

Post by mrsdavid1975 »

I feel she is a victim in a few ways and her strengths are results of what she has been through. Any person who has dealt with really hard things should feel comforted by her. She knows that place. I don't feel she eats babies... I think that's politics of religion that came up with that. .. She is a strong female. With baggage. If that makes her " evil". Then consider every person I know " evil".
Seraphin
Location: EUTM's dungeon, keeping a dragon egg in a pot over a fireplace!

Post by Seraphin »

Yes mrsdavid. I see Lilith along with other Daemons and Daemoness (as you may know, I'm an Daemonalator) as an agent of Deities or Gods and Goddesses Themselves, testing the sincerity of our thoughts and actions, the strength of our convictions, and the stamina of our ethical/moral fiber. Although the Daemons seems to give us difficult problems or entice us, They're not inherently Evil Beings, as you the said, the religion (particularly Zoroastrianism and Christianity) are the only ones who came up with that. Rather, They're conducting a "sting" operation; overtly giving us hardships, but in reality benefiting us.

Just as a doctor tests the firmness of a bone or flesh by examining it, just as the army tests the integrity and loyalty of its intelligence agents by tempting them, so too does Daemon such as Lilith test man. That's their main job. A test reveals our inner worthiness, demonstrating what we're really made of.
Seraphin

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.
mrsdavid1975

Post by mrsdavid1975 »

I agree, Seraphin. I felt her when I was going through some serious issues .. I was triggered to remember some stuff from childhood and I felt calmed by her protective nature. Just as Hecate protects children ( and the child in our heads), Lilith empowers us after a fall or emotional turmoil. I feel she helped me overcome some stuff. I know my strengths now.
6ixx

Post by 6ixx »

Does it get them mad when you call them deities or hesitate their presence?
Last edited by Vesca on Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed text speak ("u").
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

If you're going for the more academic route than spirits of Mesopotamia have good and bad sides, we just don't know what Lilitu/Lilith's is in that sense. I don't see her as completely evil, nor do I think that about related figures such as Samael and Naamah. I have actually benefited from working with them, sometimes more so than proper "gods". They have treated me pretty good, even when I think I may have been "abusive" to them.

For myself, Lilith is a harbinger of knowledge. The fact that she is associated with the element of air, which is the element of all things mental, knowledge, and ideas, plus being associated with the fruit of knowledge of good and evil, I believe working with her is beneficial and you will learn and grow from it. (Also, from experience I found her more of a seductress than a child killer.) But don't rush into it until you're ready, because she is very much a dark goddess. (She is extremely difficult to deal with at times.)

This is the old post from the Lilith Shrine that is not online anymore: http://www.paganspace.net/forum/topics/ ... -tradition

Hope that helps.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
lynnlynn97

Post by lynnlynn97 »

I'm trying to find a god/goddess to work with and now I feel like I should really consider Lilith. That is if she wants to work with me of course. I'm still really new to wicca though so I don't think I need to worry about it right now. Anyways, I've only ever heard of her from Theistic Satanism. I don't believe she is evil either from the little I've read about her.
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

lynnlynn97 wrote:I'm trying to find a god/goddess to work with and now I feel like I should really consider Lilith. That is if she wants to work with me of course. I'm still really new to wicca though so I don't think I need to worry about it right now. Anyways, I've only ever heard of her from Theistic Satanism. I don't believe she is evil either from the little I've read about her.
Hi there. I have wrote a lot on the topic.

Many of the early Wiccans and Neopagans love Lilith. This is my article on it:
http://www.paganspace.net/forum/topics/ ... traditions

I also have one on my personal blog there about my own experiences.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”