American Horror Story Coven reaction.

Share and discuss pagan music, TV shows, movies, and websites. You may offer your occult/witchcraft-related services here.
p3nathan

American Horror Story Coven reaction.

Post by p3nathan »

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

I was curious to know that people thought of this. Someone has taken great offense to the new American Horror Story season called "Coven". I've only seen clips, but from what I've seen it appears most of the witches are pretty darn evil... which for a Horror Story would be expected I guess. Does this type of thing offend you? I personally have learned to differentiate between fictional witchcraft and my own real life practices, so it doesn't really bother me to be honest. Plus a point that the offended made was that other religions aren't picked at in the media, which I have to say I disagree with. I've seen countless works in recent years that involve awful if not insane Christian characters as the main bad guys.

So what do you guys think?
Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Re: American Horror Story Coven reaction.

Post by Starwitch »

I think the most disgusting part of that whole thread is the commenters who are basically saying the poster should be raped with a broomstick for being so uptight. God, people can be SO CRUDE.

I don't watch any fictional shows about witchcraft, but I've seen the few decent movies that were made. If they mention "Wicca" and make Wiccans into evil characters then I would feel offended. But I've known so many evil witches that I don't think it's unfair to portray witches in general as evil characters. If real-life witches don't want to be confused with the folklore & cartoon witches then we should have called ourselves something other than "witches" from the start. We can't expect everyone in the world to instantly do away with all the fictional notions they were taught about witches. It's not going to happen. And as long as the majority of Wiccans & witches are walking around dressed like cartoon witches, I don't know how they ever expect it to. I'm pretty sure a lot of them enjoy the comparison and they like scaring people by looking goth and wearing pentacles, knowing that Christians are still under the impression that a pentacle represents Satanism. As long as there are evil (and wannabe evil) witches, there will still be shows and movies made about witches doing evil.
Khaleesi

Post by Khaleesi »

As far as a TV story goes, I'm actually quite interested in AHS: Coven. The underlying themes of misogyny and racism in witchcraft is an interesting twist, as well as the entire voodoo priestesses vs. salem witches thing. I also enjoy how the witches are not all painted to be evil or good. Each one of them has a very dark and very light side to them. It's quite interesting and you can't make up your mind who to root for. I quite like this show, and that's saying a lot since I'm usually very picky about what I watch on TV.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I'm still trying to decide what I think of it. It's fiction, not a documentary, so I don't expect absolute accuracy. I think the characters are interesting, if a bit extreme. Like I said, I'm still making up my mind.

Frosty
Daughter of Sekhmet
DPhoenix

Post by DPhoenix »

I'm a sucker for a good horror movie so I do like it. It's got intrigue, suspense, gore... sometimes outright disturbing... (heehee). The thing I don't like about it is how it paints wiccans, pagans & voodoo practitioners in a bad light.
Burn to ash we must
Purification by fire
To rise again new -Wanna be friends on face book? Add me Dorothy Phoenix
rowenaravenwolf

Post by rowenaravenwolf »

I do admit I like it I am enjoying the episodes with Misty who is more like the solitary witch in my opinion.
It's not an accurate portrayal of witches but its just a tv show anyway
MOTHERofDRAGONS

Post by MOTHERofDRAGONS »

If you started AMS from the beginning.. You should have been quite prepared that this was going to be how it was.
I personally LO-VE the show.. I loved each season. The way they change it up goes along the lines of the name of the show.
TO ALL MY SISTER AND BROTHER WITCHES WHO TAKE OFFENSE TO THIS SHOW If you want to see the way real witches work, why would you watch a show that had the word. "horror" in it ..?

Blessings!
)0(
dreadedpsychopomp

Post by dreadedpsychopomp »

I like it. I think that a lot of people are overly sensitive and want attention so they make a big deal out of things that have no bearing on reality. It reflects their motives for getting onto this path more than it does on what they protest. People who spend their energy and time upset about a fictional portrayal of fictional people who have nothing to do with them show just how dedicated they are to their paths: very little.
MOTHERofDRAGONS

Actually.. The Lalaurie house. Real. Stories of her torture chambers, VERY REAL..

TRY THIS ON FOR SIZE :
It's not for anyone who's looking for similarities to real witches, but it's entertaining. . . I love the shots of New Orleans. I love the fact that they are using real characters from New Orleans history, like Madame Delphine LaLaurie, her real house, and Marie Laveau! They even included the fact that Nicholas Cage owned the house in 2007. (if you look on the front door she had oersonally carved for herself, you can see people running away from a woman who's lashing a bull whip at them).. And even more morbid things)I really love the fact that they have made the witches seem like real people...1 is beautiful, 1 is cute but average, 1 is obese, 1 has Down's Syndrome (I really LOVE that they included a character with special needs!). I love Kathy Bates, Angela Bassett, and Jessica Lang. It looks like the story line is going to follow a war between the witches, and the Voodoo group that surrounds Marie Laveau. And if they continue to make them,I will be a loyal fan!

Now that I'm getting the gist of how they are going to be doing the shows.. I wonder what TRUE HORROR STORY they will twist , bend, manipulate until it works for TV. America has all sorts of grim stories.. Think about it...

Waco
The Dahmer Party
Mr. Manson &and his "wives" story.
VEterans PTSD gone crazy stories.
Human Trafficking..

And the list goes on.....

Think about the creepy places in your nieghborhood...(in America) .the stories about them......

You never know!!
)0(
Lillady

Post by Lillady »

I've watched the show I do not take offense what they do simply because I know it is a fictional show, now if it was supposed to be based on true events that would be different. The media does play up not only our religions but Christian based ones too. It is quite sad how things are portrayed nowadays, but in all reality you must look outside the box when it comes to TV and know it is not real.

Post by Karma »

I've seen it and haven't taken offence as compared to a lot of other things on tv with witches in, it's not too bad. They are portrayed as clever and stylish and nobody is entirely good or evil. It shows another side to the stereotypical witch.
But I mainly love this show because I want to be Jessica Lang when I grow up :)
MOTHERofDRAGONS

I vote 5 pentagrams! (on a 1-5 scale!)
MysticDreamFaerie

Post by MysticDreamFaerie »

I'm a fan of American Horror Story and I enjoyed Murder House and Asylum but the Coven I didn't enjoy as much. I'm not sure why but there's was something about it I didn't like. Hate to be critical about the storyline cause I enjoyed the first two a lot. However in the third installment: they were fighting over who was going to be the next supreme and trying to hurt one another: they took it way too far. This kinda of disappointed me in the end, cause the way it turned out was the one who I thought would be the next supreme to begin with. It was interesting and held my attention through out a couple of the episodes and than it went all downhill from there. This is just of course my opinion though: I know other people enjoyed it but it ended up disappointing me in the end. Hopefully the fourth season won't let me down.
"Healing takes courage, and we all have courage, even if we have to dig a little to find it." ~Tori Amos

Return to “Websites, Media and Services”