How to grow mushrooms

Discussion of nature and nature spirits and dragons.
gentlelamb

How to grow mushrooms

Post by gentlelamb »

I'm doing a sustainability project for school and I've chosen to grow medicinal mushrooms (reishi and turkey tail) but I'm very confused on the best way to do it. I'm concerned that when I order the spore seed things that mice will try to eat them since that's what my agriscience teacher said happened to someone last year. Plus idk how to get more than one batch out of them, I know mushrooms reproduce asexually and I'm fairly certain I know how but I'm still fuzzy on how to control it, per se. So that I can tell how much and when they're going to produce. I know you're supposed to use a dead log to grow them and that won't be a problem but I'm really just confused on a lot. If someone could help me that'd be great
corvidus

Re: How to grow mushrooms

Post by corvidus »

I there :)

So you're right, there are a lot of things to known in order to properly grow mushrooms, and if you're looking to grow medicinal mushrooms, you need to make sure you have all the nutrients necessary to produce high quality ones.

I'm about to leave for work, but I can add a bit more. How to control them? Tempurature, humidity, and exposure to light. How to grow high quality ones? Nutrient rich growing mediums and rain water or clean river water (tap water just won't do, in my opinion).

I'll throw some pictures up of globes a bit later today :)

To start, research temp, humidity and sunlight variables for the mushrooms you want to grow.
Katrinkah

Re: How to grow mushrooms

Post by Katrinkah »

I used to grow mushrooms and it was no easy task! You need a very sterile environment and substrate to avoid contamination. It's definitely fun though! Just make sure to do your research. I don't know about those particular strands so I don't want to give advice. I will say though, when I was growing I found some super helpful videos on YouTube and joined a mushroom growing forum. Good luck!

Return to “Nature - Plants, Animals, Faeries, Dragons”