Herbs and plants

Discussion of nature and nature spirits and dragons.
Soma

Herbs and plants

Post by Soma »

Hi everyone just need some advice. I am going to start growing some herbs and plants in the garden.

Can anyone tell me which ones are most commonly used due to their magical properties so I know what to start with?

Many many thanks

Soma xx
Siona

Re: Herbs and plants

Post by Siona »

I think most people have their different groups of favorites depending on what sort of workings they do most often - and if they grow or forage for their own, it also depends a bit on where one lives, and what grows well in that climate (and what would not be considered an invasive species). For example, if you do a lot of protection work, but don't really have much interest in prosperity work, take that into account with what you grow. That said, rosemary might be a popular choice, especially since it can often act as a substitute for frankincense, which can be fairly popular for a few different sorts of workings. Sage is also quite commonly used. Personally I find myself using a good bit of garlic, mugwort, basil, flax, mint, and dill, but again, others might not use those much at all, it really depends.
AdastraJunction
Banned Member
Location: This crazy place in the USA called the West Coast (Originally London, UK)

Post by AdastraJunction »

Try this section of the forum for herbs
http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum/forum115.html
Shub Niggurath

Post by Shub Niggurath »

As Siona and Adastra already mentioned above, it all depends on your personal preference and what is easy and safe to grow where you live. I'm guessing you live somewhere with a warm climate if you want to start growing herbs in your garden at the end of October? ;)

Anyway, I'm going to share some of my favourites: Melissa, Lavender, Nettle, Spearmint, Basil, Calendula, Salvia Officinalis (don't confuse it with White Sage used for smudging).
The herbs I mentioned above are my absolute essentials - base herbs that I always use. I use my herbs mostly for brewing various kinds of healing/supporting drinkable teas and potions or to make my own herbal infused oils, also mostly for healing/support purposes. I'm not a fan of using herbs in non-edible compositions (potions) because to me it's wasting the herb's powers. If your brew can't be consumed (I'm not talking about poisonous brews, that's another story) because you mixed so many herbs that it would taste horrible, then in my opinion you did it wrong. I'm totally okay though with using herbal blends as incences, oils, sachets etc. Dunno why, I just felt like I had to share my opinion on this, nvm ;p

Before you start gardening you need to discover your herbal needs and wants. Think about it, meditate on it. Make a list of things, problems, health issues etc you would like to work on. It can be a mix of both magickal and mundane things, for example: ease headaches, cause vivid dreams/lucid dreams, get rid of acne, concentrate my will/intention, reach a relaxed/meditative state of mind etc. Those were just some basic, non-specific examples. Of course you can make your wish more complex - you will need more herbs for that ;)
Anyway, when you make a list of things that you would definitely use herbs for then you can start researching what herbs could help you with the things you listed. For example: "ease headaches" - Lavender, "meditative state of mind" - Melissa, and so on. Now you've got a list of herbs you really need and you can proceed further research concerning the conditions your herbs need in order to grow. Some of them will be okay outside in the garden (again, depending on where you live), some will be okay in a pot, some of them you will have to buy already dried and prepared for use.
If you need any help with herbs properties or whatever feel free to PM me, I'll try my best to help ;)
Soma

Post by Soma »

Thank you so much guys! Very kind of you all to reply, I am a newbie if you hadn't already worked that out, I live in Oban

in Scotland so just doing some research, the ones you all mentioned sound great

Many thanks

Soma
AdastraJunction
Banned Member
Location: This crazy place in the USA called the West Coast (Originally London, UK)

Post by AdastraJunction »

If you want to do year round look into doing Hydroponics or Aquaponics. Herbs do very well using these planting methods if done properly. It's how I have fresh fruit and veggies year round.

Return to “Nature - Plants, Animals, Faeries, Dragons”