Getting Down and Dirty...

Discussion of nature and nature spirits and dragons.
Veronica_Rose

Getting Down and Dirty...

Post by Veronica_Rose »

Okay, so, I was thinking and really starting to get hopes up for a little herb garden this spring/summer! Im really, pretty new to Witchcraft, but, I find herbalism fascinating and I really wanted to start using some herbs for things like creating my own incense and for little magickal herb bags. But, I dont know what I should start with! I dont want a huge garden, and I dont want something to hard to plant. If its not very easy to grow, the herbs just probably will die, because I have almost never grown or gardened anything before (other than my third grade bean plant...)
So, does anyone suggest anything? I live in the USA, in Toledo, Ohio. A small town in the north-west corner of Ohio, right on the tip of the West side of Lake Erie and below the south-east point of Michigan. The weather is pretty nice in late spring, being very... Spring-y? Spring-like... lol We have a lot of rain in the spring, and temps around mid. to high 60's on a good, late spring day (Like, the end of April, into May would be late spring.) In the summer it can be pretty hot. Ranging up to mid 80's sometimes. Its pretty dry too, but nothing a garden hose cant fix! Plenty of sunlight, too!
"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns,
or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses."

Brightest Blessings xx Veronica Rose
BallisticJW

Re: Getting Down and Dirty...

Post by BallisticJW »

While I don't know too much on this subject I just wanted to say I wish we had weather like that here in AL. It has already been nearly 90 degrees and it's not even May yet. Just imagine the summers here!
Tylluan

Re: Getting Down and Dirty...

Post by Tylluan »

Hiya

Being in the UK I can tell you about Herbs we have here but not sure if you have access to ones we don't have - does that make sense?

Herb basics are that they love good drainage so use a layer of gravel under the soil to drain away access water. What kind of soil do you have? If it is very thick and clay like you may be better of using growbag soil in deep pots. When planting choose a site that gets sun for at least half a day. Some Herbs like Mint or Rosemary grow very quickly and can take over so these are best grown in tubs.

Have a look round your local garden centre (if you have one) and see what herbs are sold there, these should have been choosen for sale due to their suitability to your environment.

Some more delicate herbs grow well indoors on a windowsill. My Corriander loves a sunny window sill.

I'd recommend trying Rosemary, Clary Sage, Parsley, Corriander, Mint, Marjoram, Thyme, Bay, Oregano, Dill and Basil as these are easy to grow and they are incrediably useful for so many different spells, lotions, potions and of course cooking.

I hope this helps :)
My soul is awakened, my spirit is soaring. And carried aloft on the wings of the breeze. For above and around me the wild wind is roaring. Arousing to rapture the earth and the seas.

Return to “Nature - Plants, Animals, Faeries, Dragons”