Dandelion: Nature's wonder herb

Discussion of nature and nature spirits and dragons.
Ravencry

Dandelion: Nature's wonder herb

Post by Ravencry »

Medicinal Uses of Dente de Leon (AKA Dandelion):
Dandelion is used for the treatment of the gall bladder, kidney and urinary disorders, gallstones, jaundice, cirrhosis, hypoglycemia, dyspepsia with constipation, edema associated with high blood pressure and heart weakness, chronic joint and skin complaints, gout, eczema and acne. As a tonic, Dandelion strengthens the kidneys. An infusion of the root encourages the steady elimination of toxins from the body. Dandelion is a powerful diuretic but does not deplete the body of potassium. There was a small research done that indicated that dandelions can treat pneumonia, bronchitis, and other respiratory disorders, also.

Research is revealing that the many constituents of Dandelion including Taraxacin, Taraxacoside, Inulin, Phenolic acids, Sesquiterpene lactones, Triterpenes, Coumarins, Catortenoids and Minerals, mainly Potassium and calcium, are very valuable in curing a number of disorders and illnesses. Dandelion is traditionally used as a tonic and blood purifier, for constipation, inflammatory skin conditions, joint pain, eczema and liver dysfunction, including liver conditions such as hepatitis and jaundice.

The fresh juice of Dandelion is applied externally to fight bacteria and help heal wounds. The plant has an antibacterial action, inhibiting the growth of Staphococcus aureus, pneumococci, meningococci, Bacillus dysenteriae, B. typhi, C. diphtheriae, proteus. The latex contained in the plant sap can be used to remove corns and warts.

Dandelion root is one of the safest and most popular herbal remedies. The specific name, officinale, means that it is used medicinally. Don't use it with irritable stomach or bowel, or if you have an acute inflammation.

The dandelion flowers are good for your heart. Dandelion flower tea can help relieve pain from headaches, menstrual cramps, backaches, stomachaches and depression. The rest of the plant (greens and roots) has nourishing, healing properties as well. So, once you’ve fallen in love with the flowers, enjoy blowing her white seeds and making your wishes, knowing that you’re spreading seeds of health throughout your neighbourhood.

How to make dandelion tea: You can use the root, flower or leaf for teas (or all three!) For the root, you want to use the whole, cleaned root of the dandelion. Chop it up, place in your cup and pour boiling water over it. Let steep for 5 minutes. For the flowers, simply rip apart 7-8 blossoms, place in cup and pour boiling water over. Also let steep for 5 minutes. For leaves, rip apart 10 leaves, place in cup, pour boiling water over, steep five minutes and enjoy! You can sweeten these teas as liked.

Magickal Uses:
In searching for magickal uses for dandelion it seems that it has mostly been used for calling on spirits, divination, purification and, of course...wishing. Blow all the seeds off a fluffy dandelion and your wish will come true. Some say that to blow the seeds off a ripened head is to carry your thoughts to a loved one, near or far. Whatever your intention this is a great active symbolism and would work well to activate your goal.

PLANET : Jupiter.
ELEMENT : Air.
DEITY : Dian Cecht (Irish healing God), Brigit
POWERS : Divination, Wishes, Calling Spirits

Spells:
When you are separated from a friend or loved one, pick a puffball with all the seeds still attached. To each plume attach a fond thought, then turn in the direction of your friend and blow the seeds off the stem. If any remain, your friend is also thinking of you.

This particular spell has many variations. You can blow on a seed ball and count the remaining plumes to determine, for example, what time it is, how long you will live, when you will marry, how many children you will have, and so on.

Drink tea made from the roasted dandelion roots to promote psychic powers, or leave a steaming cup beside your bed to summon spirits.
FiddlinErin

Re: Dandelion: Nature's wonder herb

Post by FiddlinErin »

I am so glad you posted this! I had read a bit about dandelion, but I had no idea it was THIS useful. I was looking around for another antibacterial besides olive leaf extract, and here it is! Woo! This just made my day a whole lot easier. :)

Erin
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

You can use arnica, it's also a great antibacterial :D
WhiteOne

Post by WhiteOne »

I love dandelions. Although flowers are designed for sexual reproduction, the dandelion reproduces asexually. In a way, the dandelion can give birth while remaining virginal--and it retains its sexual part--flower--for reasons other than survival. I just think that its intriguing.

Return to “Nature - Plants, Animals, Faeries, Dragons”