Herb of the Month - Rosemary

Discussion of nature and nature spirits and dragons.
hedge*

Herb of the Month - Rosemary

Post by hedge* »

Rosemary ( Rosmarinus officinalis )

Click the link below to see a picture of Rosemary

http://www.tombridge.com/photos/garden04/rosemary.jpg

This beautiful, fragrant and familiar Shrub is one of the most delightful additions to any garden. Bees love the Flowers and on a sunny day Honey bees and bumble bees fly to sup from the pretty small blue Flowers that this Plant yeilds. Its scent is wonderful. Warming and calming and reminiscent of lazy summer days. Used widely in cooking this Plant has many uses, medicinally and magically. I will list some of its properties here, please add any that I haven’t included.

Medicinal Properties:

• Tonic
• Stimulant
• Astringent
• Nervine
• Anti-inflammatory
• Carminative

Rosemary is a warming herb and it stimulates blood circulation to the head making it ideal to use for improving concentration and memory. This virtue also makes it a useful Herb to use for easing headaches and migrains. Make an infusion using 1 level teaspoon of fresh or dried Herb per cup of boiling water and take up to 3 cups a day. It is allways best to make infusions in a lidded container, as this helps to extract as much of the important oils as possible.
Also, because of its stimulant properties to the head, Rosemary is great for encouraging hair growth. You can rub the cooled down infusion into the scalp (smells nice too).
When added to a bath, the infusion will help invigorate and refresh a tired body but will be too stimulating for anyone bathing at night. Rosemary will help ease menstrual tension, either by taking a bath as mentioned, or burning the oil in an incense burner. This method will also help with mild depression as Rosemary is so good for lifting the spirits.
You can apply as a lotion or diluted essential oil to ease aching, rheumatic muscles.

CAUTION:

Do not take during pregnancy or if suffering from high blood pressure.

Magical Properties:

Used for inner strength, self confidence, mental clarity, memory and past lives, focus on intent, protection, purification, spiritual awareness and understanding, funeral rites.
[/u]
Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Post by Starwitch »

Great info Hedge, thanks!

Dawn Faerie

Post by Dawn Faerie »

I once heard someone say that rosemary would grow very well where a man ruled the house... its strange becuase my nan keeps trying to grow rosemary in ehr garden but it always dies, and my nan is practically a slave to my granddad, but my mum's rosemary is set on taking over the herbgarden, and she makes nearly all the decisions in my house...
i was ondering if any one else had heard this myth? :?
hedge*

Post by hedge* »

I've not heard that one before Dawn Faerie.

I have heard that it is a lucky omen to plant Rosemary outside your house as it will ward off evil.

hedge
Matt*

Rosemary

Post by Matt* »

A Rosemary plant kept by your bed can also help keep Nightmares away!

Matt
Am I awake or am I still dreaming?
Heaven_and_Earth

Post by Heaven_and_Earth »

Wait so is rosemary bad to use when youre pregnant in like lotions and in a bath and such? for we have rosemary oils and we use them in our baths and in lotion heck i put it in my soap, and my aunt and mother used rosemary oils the entire time they both were pregnant ( wow great story to go with the whole pregnancy thing if anyone cares to hear it) but i was just wondering, the babies and both my mom and aunt are doing good, twas megans first birthday yesterday!( little sister, moms baby)
hedge*

Post by hedge* »

Hi there.

There are many essential oils and Herbs that CAN have an adverse effect on an unborn baby or on the expectant mother. I would be foolish not to point this fact out to people.
Rosemary is a uterine stimulant and CAN cause the uterus to contract, this is not good if you are pregnant as it COULD cause miscarriage. In this day and age, if you are pregnant or suffer any illnesses or are on medication, it is advisable to consult your doctor or a qualified Herbalist before taking any form of alernative medicine.

hedge
Heaven_and_Earth

Post by Heaven_and_Earth »

Thanks for the information Hedge:) Your one mighty knowledgeable person!
pendle witch

Post by pendle witch »

Just love Rosemary grows well in my garden not only great for remidies ace in cooking too try with roasted new potatoes think my fav herb has gotta be lavendar(soz bout spelling) fantastic claming herb.For headaches and calm:
1 sprip fresh lavendar with camomile tea, allow to draw for a little bit, and drink as normal.
Herbal Pimple Lotion
Simmer 25 grams lavender flowers, the peel of half a lemon (no white pith), and 25 grams thyme in 200 ml distilled water. Add 10 drops each lavender oil and tea tree oil. Dab on spots as needed. It should keep at least a week in the fridge.
hedge*

Post by hedge* »

Cool Pendle witch :D
Thanks for those.

hedge
adair

Post by adair »

I am happy you are doing this.I needed to know the herb of the month and here it is.Im also really happy it is rosemary,it will go good with lamb,with a little or alot of wine.
hedge*

Post by hedge* »

Baaaa Baaaa Baaaa!

:D

Sorry- couldn't help myself!

*hedge must be more sensible, hedge must be more sensible, hedge must be blah, blah, blah................

hedge
_Cheshire_

Post by _Cheshire_ »

Rosemary has been around for a long time, and therefore has a long list of claims regarding its medicinal uses, including use as a tonic, a digestive aid, to treat depression, headaches, and muscle spasms, and as an expectorant, promoter of menstrual flow, and stimulant for production of bile. Externally, its oil made into an ointment has been said to treat rheumatism, sores, eczema, bruises, and wounds. Rosemary taken internally as a medicine can be an irritant to the stomach, intestines, and kidneys, so use it sparingly.

Make Rosemary tea for digestive problems, as an expectorant, to relieve cold symptoms, and as a relaxing beverage that may be helpful for headaches and low moods. Take care to preserve the steam with a tight fitting lid in the preparation process.

Interestingly, an infusion of Rosemary mixed with borax and used cold is said to make a nice-smelling hair wash that can possibly prevent dandruff and stimulate hair growth. A variation of this (for dandruff) is Rosemary combined with Mint in vinegar (place the sprigs in a bottle that can be tightly sealed, and let sit for at least a week out of direct sunlight).

Rosemary in Magic & Superstition
In all things of nature there is something marvelous

Rosemary is bound to Sun and Fire. It's presence on the body is said to aid in memory and learning. Try putting a sprig in your pocket before an examination, meeting, or other situation where mental clarity is important.

Rosemary is also thought to be a protective herb. It can be made into a protection wreath, and can be placed above the door or under the bed for protection from evil. Try it in a dream pillow or put it in a pillowcase to protect and ward off bad dreams.

As a cleansing and purifying agent in magic, Rosemary is one of the more important herbs. It can be used in herbal baths - place it in cheesecloth or a coffee filter tied with string and place it under the running bath water. If time is a factor, use it to wash the hands instead of the ritual bath in advance of performing rituals.

Rosemary was associated with love, friendship, and remembrance in Medieval times. It was used in weddings as a symbol of love, and was tossed into graves to signify that the deceased would be remembered. Try burning it as an incense for these purposes. Burning also is believed to help with healing, especially if burned with Juniper.

Lastly, and not surprisingly, the fragrance of Rosemary is said to be of benefit as far as emotional spirit, youthful outlook, and pleasant memories. Use it in potpourris and sachets for this purpose.

Post by hedge* »

GREAT post Cheshire, thankyou for sharing.

hedge
venefica

Post by venefica »

Rub a drop of rosemary oil on each temple to relieve headaches.

Makes a great air freshener for your car.

Return to “Nature - Plants, Animals, Faeries, Dragons”