One step closer :D

Teenagers are a special bunch with concerns different than adults. Teens can chat with each other here and learn from one another.
love beats all (;

One step closer :D

Post by love beats all (; »

So Wednesday night I was riding home with my mom and blurted 'Would you rather me be an atheist or be devout in my own spirituality even if it didn't mirror your own?'. When I was 10 I haphazardly said that I was an atheist on the way home from church in a mini-fit of anger.
Anyway, she said 'Hmm...that would be a hard choice, but I guess anything would be better than atheist.' I then asked if she'd allow me to explore my spirituality; She said,'I don't know.' I then explained how Christianity has never felt comfortable to me even as a child. I said how I had tried to be saved but the religion didn't really touch me on the most foundational of levels. I told her about how there were many things that could be learned from the Christian bible and I'd love to learn more but I'd like to do it in a purely academic environment rather than have beliefs thrown at me. I also told her that I'd have no opposition about going to church as long as I could also worship in my own way also. I then again asked if I would be allowed to explore and she said, 'Maybe if you could do it responsibly.'
So I still failed to come out directly but I have made some headway and I am pretty proud of myself. (= I am hoping to be fully out by next year, but things such as spiritual growth probably shouldn't be set to a timeline lol
flowersofthelady

Re: One step closer :D

Post by flowersofthelady »

wow what a mature way to approach it. i really admire you. if you were my daughter i'd be proud. i dont know how religious your mum is but i hope she understands that what you believe isnt "evil"
best of luck to you!
ScarlettRose

Post by ScarlettRose »

Yes that was very very mature of you!! I hope all goes well, blessings. :D
Breathing in I feel gratitude; Breathing out I give thanks.
Breathing in I feel joyful; Breathing out I celebrate.
Breathing in I know compassion; Breathing I am compassion.
Breathing in I feel loved; Breathing out I offer love.
Breathing in I am still; Breathing out I am at peace.
Om.
Wishes

Post by Wishes »

That was very mature of you, and I hope that it works well for you!

Don't worry though, when the time is right, everything will fit into place (:
~Best Wishes in Everything You Do~

Wishes
love beats all (;

Thanks guys! You're all so very supportive (= Bright blessings to y'all!
Witch13
Banned Member

Post by Witch13 »

Wow, great talk, your mom seems like a very reasonable person.
Trying to picture the same dialog with my mom... :? :| after the first few seconds its star wars allover.
love beats all (;

Sorry to hear that Witch13 )= I sincerely hope that one day your mother comes to accept you for who you are and opens up her closed mind.
Witch13
Banned Member

Post by Witch13 »

People's minds and parachutes work better when they are open ;)

Return to “Teen Concerns”