Pop Culture Magic Forum?

If you have a suggestion or comment about the board you can share it here.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pop Culture Magic Forum?

Post by Xiao Rong »

Seeing Loona's review of a book about the Tarot's Major Arcana as it relates to Buffy the Vampire Slayer reminded me of something that I've been mulling over for a long time. I am very interested in pop culture as it relates to magical practice, and I think there are some really cool and innovative things that pop culture can offer to our witchy arts. We've discussed it previously here and here, and I was wondering if there were enough people interested in dedicating a subforum to the subject. (I am also not sure how much pop culture relates to Chaos magic, which I know some of our members practice.)

I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions!
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Echo_of_shadows

Re: Pop Culture Magic Forum?

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

You've got my vote. I can totally see the opportunities that pop culture can lend to magickal workings. It's something that is limited by only the the user's imagination.
I'd love to see other's contributions if we get this forum. While I've read a few things here and there about it, I haven't seen a whole heck of a lot of people's actual experiences with pop culture magick.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

That could be an interesting forum. I know there are people who have looked up the spells in shows like Charmed, Buffy and Angel and found ways to make them work in real life. Most of the spells in those shows were written by practicing witches (they had them on staff for references and realism to actual magical practices) so it makes sense that the spells could actually work in real life (just without the special hollywood effects). There is also no denying the fact that other pop culture forces like LOTR and Harry Potter (more recently perhaps Game of Thrones?) have been bringing in surges of new people interested in Witchcraft and paganism.

Wicca and Witchcraft have found their way into the culture of the modern world. This in my view has been both a good thing and a bad thing for the craft. Its been good in that shows like Charmed and Buffy have shown that witchcraft is not just the hexes and curses you saw in past lore, but that they have powerful positive magic that can be used to assist and help life in many ways and forms. Its been bad in that you had seekers who were interested in it because of that which they saw in the shows and quickly found out its not what they thought it would be giving rise to a lot of the "fluff" that is out there.

Even the series Warehouse 13 had several references to magic and witchcraft that I found interesting. So it would be nice to have a place to discuss these situations that are outside of the media basis.
Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

I wouldn't have a problem with it. Some of the spells are pretty cool.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Holdasown wrote:I wouldn't have a problem with it. Some of the spells are pretty cool.
One of my favorites would be the three selves spell that was cast in one episode of Charmed.
Heartsong

Post by Heartsong »

As a gamer, I've incorporated some of the spells and languages I've come across into my spellcraft, or used them as inspiration, so this absolutely has my vote! I'd love to see a place to discuss and share similiar experiences and ideas. :)
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
Seraphin
Location: EUTM's dungeon, keeping a dragon egg in a pot over a fireplace!

Post by Seraphin »

Heartsong wrote:As a gamer, I've incorporated some of the spells and languages I've come across into my spellcraft, or used them as inspiration, so this absolutely has my vote! I'd love to see a place to discuss and share similiar experiences and ideas. :)
Hunh. I'd actually thought there must be something wrong with me, that I incorporate some concepts in my understanding about magick and the Craft that came from Pop culture (fictional books and movies) and get some inspiration without coming away with some sense of angst or a zillion questions. Seems that's not so bad a thing? Perhaps that's where I struggle -- trying to find faults where there are none.

Anyway, I am looking forward to see this forum.
Seraphin

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

Oh, yes, I think this would be a great idea! I love it! In fact, the reason I really got into this was because of pop culture and I can't speak for everyone of course, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who gained interest from it! There are many things that could be discussed within a forum like that. One movie that comes to mind, that made me want to do this, was The Craft. It got me back into wanting to learn witchcraft again. Haha!
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
BabyBear

Post by BabyBear »

loona wynd wrote:That could be an interesting forum. I know there are people who have looked up the spells in shows like Charmed, Buffy and Angel and found ways to make them work in real life. Most of the spells in those shows were written by practicing witches (they had them on staff for references and realism to actual magical practices) so it makes sense that the spells could actually work in real life (just without the special hollywood effects). There is also no denying the fact that other pop culture forces like LOTR and Harry Potter (more recently perhaps Game of Thrones?) have been bringing in surges of new people interested in Witchcraft and paganism.
I didnt know this, but I have seen many people, like on pintrest who have altered the spells to work for real life aplications

and cant wait for the forum this seems like a really cool idea
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Just sent a PM to Starwitch; let's see what she says!
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

BabyBear wrote:
loona wynd wrote:That could be an interesting forum. I know there are people who have looked up the spells in shows like Charmed, Buffy and Angel and found ways to make them work in real life. Most of the spells in those shows were written by practicing witches (they had them on staff for references and realism to actual magical practices) so it makes sense that the spells could actually work in real life (just without the special hollywood effects). There is also no denying the fact that other pop culture forces like LOTR and Harry Potter (more recently perhaps Game of Thrones?) have been bringing in surges of new people interested in Witchcraft and paganism.
I didnt know this, but I have seen many people, like on pintrest who have altered the spells to work for real life aplications

and cant wait for the forum this seems like a really cool idea
Yeah. They have witches on Staff for references and advisory status. The movie The Craft also had witches on staff for references and advisors about Craft related items. Military personal (typically former/retiered) often do the same thing for shows where military structure and basis are the focus. Its about making it some what real/believable while being able to do their own thing with it.
BabyBear

Post by BabyBear »

nice, i guess thats what they did with good witch to then cus that movie was pretty spot on
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

loona wynd wrote:Wicca and Witchcraft have found their way into the culture of the modern world. This in my view has been both a good thing and a bad thing for the craft...Its been bad in that you had seekers who were interested in it because of that which they saw in the shows and quickly found out its not what they thought it would be giving rise to a lot of the "fluff" that is out there.
I find that this thought deserves to be examined much, much more as relates to this topic. And it's not just the fluff that, what I call, "Hollywood Wicca" gives rise to that's the problem.

Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Post by Starwitch »

It might be interesting to have a forum like that. It's true that you could be attracting quite more fluff with such a forum, but then again, EUTM is fairly fluffy to start with. We'll have to see how it goes. I'll set it up and we'll see what happens.

Someone please type a good description for me. I have this at the moment:
Open discussion about how our beliefs have been affected by popular culture.
The new forum is at the bottom of "Paganism, Witchcraft, and Wicca". Let me know if you think it should go somewhere different.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

I will be happy to write such a description!

Return to “Suggestions/Comments”