Members-only Forums

If you have a suggestion or comment about the board you can share it here.
Violet

Members-only Forums

Post by Violet »

Hi,

Could some of the forums be made members-only? I am thinking of the Member's Nook, Dream Journals, and Member's Books of Shadows. This would afford better privacy for members who don't want personal posts viewed by the general public. In the case of BoS, it would offer better protection to those concerned about their words being copied without credit.

What do you think?
loona wynd
Banned Member

Re: Members-only Forums

Post by loona wynd »

So are you thinking that maybe the BOS forum and readings from members and the like only be seen to people who have registered for the forums? That might not be a bad idea. I can respect the idea for privacy and not wanting non members to have access to the Blogs or the BOS's. I like it the way it is but can see it either way. I support your idea.
PhoenixFlight

Post by PhoenixFlight »

I third this idea.
~that is an interesting notion, in it's own way~
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

I agree some forums should be members only. Including "Post a spell or a ritual".
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Elcida wrote:I agree some forums should be members only. Including "Post a spell or a ritual".
I think there are already spells and rituals on the site for people not members of the forums...
Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Post by Starwitch »

It's difficult to have a successful board if you start making some or all of your forums private. Every word on the forum is used as a means of attracting more members. Someone may be seeking a "spell to make my neighbor's dog stop barking" and your BoS here may contain the only spell like that on the whole web, so when someone searches for that, Google will send them here. If that spell is in a private forum, Google doesn't have access to the threads and can't refer anyone who may be seeking that information. That's the reason I don't make forums private.

If you have any good spells (preferably rhyming and something that makes sense to a beginner the whole way through), I can put it on the main site along with your name and a copyright notice. It won't keep sites like Spells of Magic from stealing it and claiming that it was a "user-submitted" spell (submitted by "User005", lol), but at least your name will be on it somewhere on the web. Basically, if you plan to publish a book someday and you don't want your custom-written spells all over the Internet before the book comes out, I would suggest never putting them online, anywhere, either in a public or private forum. Even in a private forum, other members will copy it and they'll put it on another site later, a site that isn't private. Nothing is private on the web, and spells in particular are commonly passed around without any reference to the source. Every spell on my entire site has been stolen and put on other multiple other sites. I can't complain too much about it since I found many of those same spells on very old sites a long time ago - sites that no longer exist today, but their spells keep making the rounds.

As for privacy, I would just suggest making sure your username is one that family, friends, and co-workers won't recognize. There are billions of people on the web, so it's pretty unlikely that anyone will know that it's you who wrote something specific here, assuming your username isn't the same as your real name.

Return to “Suggestions/Comments”