Becoming a witch.

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
witchy_woman_0506

Becoming a witch.

Post by witchy_woman_0506 »

Hello, everyone. I'm just curious on this subject, but how do you go about becoming a witch? Or is there any certain way to go about doing it?
Storm

Post by Storm »

There is no certain way. I would read a lot first before you decide whether this truly is the path for you. There is a huge amount of bull on the net - I'd recommend these books for starters:

Witchcraft: A beginner's guide - Teresa Moorey
Book Of Shadows - Phyllis Curott
HedgeWitch -Rae Beth
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

Here's a couple of good sites to try:

wicca.timerift.net
www.caw.org
www.greyschool.com
www.wicca.com
witchy_woman_0506

Those books I'm sure would be helpful, but I live in a VERY small town and have no access to a bookstore or anything.....so I'm basically stuck with the internet for right now. How do you know if your a witch or not?
Storm

Post by Storm »

You'd need to know what a witch is before you can tell if you are one, lol.

Being a witch is more about the feelings and beliefs that you have in your heart rather than amazing powers and abilities.

I know that it sounds like we're not giving you a straight answer but that is because there is no straight answer. Ask ten witches what makes a witch and you will get ten different answers.

What do you think a witch is? :)
Storm

Post by Storm »

witchy_woman_0506 wrote:Those books I'm sure would be helpful, but I live in a VERY small town and have no access to a bookstore or anything.....so I'm basically stuck with the internet for right now. How do you know if your a witch or not?
Amazon will send you books in a matter of days, lol.
witchy_woman_0506

Well, I just got through reading an article on what is wicca? and i believe that wicca is the best path for me. what should i do from here?
Storm

Post by Storm »

Well, I would begin by setting up a simple altar. This can be a small table or even just a shelf on your bookcase. I have a Goddess figure, some crystals, candles, a wooden chalice (cup) my wand (made from willow wood) and something to represent the four elements.

This may be a little to much for you at the moment. Why don't you start with something to represent the four elements (a feather for air, a stone/crystal for earth, a candle for fire and a small bowl of water for..well.. water, lol). If you feel strongly drawn to the Goddess then why not try printing a picture from the net?

Then, sit in front of your altar and breathe deeply. Think about why it is that you're drawn to witchcraft. How do you feel when looking at the picture of the Goddess? Meditate for a while on whether this is the path for you.

Afterwards you could write your thoughts and feelings in a journal.

I would do this once a day for at least a week.

Hope this helps.
witchy_woman_0506

Great. Thanks everyone for the information. I am going to set me up a really simple altar tonight and try it.
Storm

Post by Storm »

Let us know how you get on. :)
witchy_woman_0506

Could I also try meditating? Or would that be too much for me right now?
Storm

Post by Storm »

Absolutely. Try meditating in front of your altar. Light a candle, make sure you are sitting comfortably, and breathe deeply a few times. Once you feel calm, try staring at the flame of the candle and empty your mind (this can be tricky, lol, but it does become easier with practice).
witchy_woman_0506

Great. Thanks. Could I possibly write in a journal how I felt before and after meditating?
Storm

Post by Storm »

Of course. There is no 'official' book on what to do, lol. You do what feels right to you.

Keeping a journal of your journey is something I would highly recommend.
witchy_woman_0506

Ok, so I don't have a feather handy. What else could I use for wind?

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”