Samhain

Chat about pagan and Wiccan holidays.
[Haley]

Samhain

Post by [Haley] »

What excatly is Samhain and how can it, or rather how do you celebrate it?
Ice_Witch

Post by Ice_Witch »

For me Samhain is when the Lord passes away and the year ends, for me it's like the New Year's eve. As for celebrating it I'm not actually sure, some people like calling ancestors or sending messages to relatives who have passed away since in that day the veil between the worlds is thinest. Some people leave food for spirits outside or even place an extra plate on the table for unseen guests. Or, the most famous one, which I do just because of the custom I've had since little, go trick or treating. Or you could just meet up with somefriends in a sleep over or something and have some sweets with them.(I do this ones because I don't like going out.) Many people celebrate the Sabats diferently. You could choose your own way to celebrate it.

PS: My opinion.
WolfWitch

Post by WolfWitch »

For me, it's the end of God's life. He passes to the next and the Goddess moves on, bearing that which will be God once more.

As for celibrating. Since the veil is thinned on that day, I do what I believe will allow the spirits around me to be at peace and to show them that good still exists in the waking world. I spend the day being light and merry. It's a fun holiday and I let myself enjoy it to the fullest. It's not hard with a for year old and a wife with an assosiates in theatre. I dress up and take my son "trick or treating" Then I just goof with my wife. I do nothing heavy thought or serious for the whole day. All stress HAS to take the day off. Nothings so bad that it can't wait till Nov. 1

WW.
The greatest advice I was ever given: It matters not what you believe. Only that you believe it wholeheartedly.
Lark

Re: Samhain

Post by Lark »

Haley wrote:What excatly is Samhain and how can it, or rather how do you celebrate it?
Here's a link to a site with some very good information about the origins of Samhain and ways to celebrate the Sabbat.

In my own coven we mark Samhain by honoring our ancestors and our beloved dead. It is in many ways the most solemn and the most intense of our Sabbats because of the issues of deaths and endings that we are working through.

But we also celebrate it with a joyous feast to mark the ending of the year and the beginning of a new year. We mark it as a time for drawing family and friends together for the coming winter.

-Lark-
[Haley]

Post by [Haley] »

I forgot about the veil thing. Maybe I could try to talk to my grandmas. Can I do that? I think I'll watch some movies with my friends and goof off.
Addalaide

Post by Addalaide »

Where dose the God go when he passes? and dose the Goddess ever pass on? How dose the maiden mother and crown thing work with the year, i thought it was like maiden in the spring summer then mother and winter the crown, but i thould think for her to be the one who drings the new god into like then she whould be a maiden now? Or dose that have nothing at all to do with the sesons....i have been meaning to ask this....
Merry Part
~Addalaide
Witch1693

Post by Witch1693 »

For me it is when the threshold between ghosts and humans open and spirits, good and evil roam the earth. my ritual is based on my family tree, i invite the good ones in and tell every bad one to literally to stay the f*** away or they will get there astral skin peeled off for eternity. thats basically mine.
[Haley]

Post by [Haley] »

So could I actually talk to my grandmothers? Or just invite them into the house and do whatever?
For me it is when the threshold between ghosts and humans open and spirits, good and evil roam the earth. my ritual is based on my family tree, i invite the good ones in and tell every bad one to literally to stay the f*** away or they will get there astral skin peeled off for eternity. thats basically mine.
lol :D I like that. But seriously though, keeping those evil spirits away is great. You wouldn't want one of them around you.
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

astral skin? thats a bit of a paradox lol.

according to Ancient Druid practise this was the time when the barriers between our realm and the realm of the ancestors was down. it allowed those who were ready and able to in some form travel to the spirit realm to commune with those dead. they believed this was best done on the night with no visible moon. because they believed that the moons protective light obscured the sight of things that did not belong in our reality.
Witch1693

Post by Witch1693 »

its just a way of telling them what will happen if they interfear with my communing.

And yes you can talk to them, and sometimes if it is important enough they will respond in a way. its good to have a oiji board with you.
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

the ouija isnt the only way to connect. there are plenty of ways of communing
Witch1693

Post by Witch1693 »

i know but if there are spirits that want to commune with you, it may be a bit easier becuase spirits cant tak very easily with us. so if they can just move a pointer and spell out a wrod it is easier for them.
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

spose thats true, whatever floats your boat. i want to do a ouija board but am not yet prepared.
Witch1693

Post by Witch1693 »

well thats why you have to be ready b4 doing the ritual.
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

i realise that, i think i mentioned something supporting that in relation to druidic practise above.

Return to “Sabbats and Esbats”