Lesson from fishing

General chit chat and discussions here.
All are welcome!
rjmamula14

Lesson from fishing

Post by rjmamula14 »

Just came in from fishing. I am vacationing at the family cabin in the north woods. Love to fish. It is a stress reliever for me. Five years ago, I won a fishing derby thanks to catching a 5.6 pound large mouth. Haven’t won since but anyhow, while I was fishing I found myself asking, “what am I fishing for if not for a trophy?” Then I thought about keeping my catches for a meal. I would need to watch some YouTube videos on how to fit them right since the last time I tried it on my own I really butchered it. But then I realized I didn’t have a bucket with me anyway. But anyhow, the reason I was out fishing was for relaxation. Just for the fun of it. Life isn’t about the destination but the ride.
supremz

Re: Lesson from fishing

Post by supremz »

Very good that you realize that rather than never, which sadly some people do go through their whole lives that way. Ah… fishing. The ultimate Zen: some people see Nirvana entirely that way. After all, you want to eat a fish, but the fish must also eat, and one day you will be eaten. What is the answer then? It is precisely what you have said. Just enjoy the flightiness.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Lesson from fishing

Post by Firebird »

I miss fishing. Didn't get a license this year. Never did fish for a trophy ...on purpose, yet my husband was always getting his picture in the paper for his lunker trouts or stringers of 3lb+ of bass...one time we had to get his bass stuffed it was 13 lbs and 25 1/2 inches long! Still on our wall. Fishing was always part of the vacation ritual. Sitting by the lake or motoring around on it was good if you just wanted to drop a line and absorb the day. The sound of the water lapping against the boat is quite pleasant. For a little more energetic ritual it was lures or salmon eggs along the stream, that usually kept you moving observing the different landscapes and you traveled along the brook. The sound of the trickling water lends itself to great meditative states.
Cleaning them is really quite easy, and pretty satisfying to cook over the fire. The whole camping experience brings one closer to their roots and in alignment with the Earth.
Glad you were able to take some time away to enjoy this aspect of nature! Sounds like you had fun.
bb, F
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:

Return to “For Everyone”