How long should offerings be left out?

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
Prospitdaydreamer

How long should offerings be left out?

Post by Prospitdaydreamer »

So, I've mentioned in other posts that I'm new to shrines, so like I'm kinda floating here

When you offer food and drink, how long do you keep it there? Especially with fruit, since fruit rots. I've set out water with craisins and almonds (I have to get better food soon but that's what I have now ^^") for Anubis, but I don't know when to get rid of it. And what do I do to get rid of it? Should I make a pile outside if it's food thats safe for birds or ants or squirrels or something to take? What about cakes or sweets that aren't wild animal friendly?

Also, shrines I know are supposed to stay where they are, right? Let's say you had to move your shrine, because maybe perhaps you're moving to a new home, how do you make it ok to move? Do you connect with the gods and let them know first or do they know your intention already?

And cleaning. Today, I lit an incense and when I was done I tried to snuff it out. I accidentally burned my fingers a little and I felt silly so I laughed. Unfortunately that made incense debris poof onto the rest of the shrine. I cleaned it but I had to move my little Anubis around and my stones for him and clean the little cloth. I felt bad for moving him around. Was it ok though because it was to keep him clean?

I'm probably over thinking all of this but I just want to get this right and keep Anubis happy (even though he has come off pretty chill to me but idk). Thank you <3
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: How long should offerings be left out?

Post by SpiritTalker »

There's nothing wrong with moving things around to clean. The act of cleaning is a sign of respect.
Personally I'd change any food offerings daily. Rotten food is not a sign of respect. The birds and squirrels around my house love sweets.
It would seem to be polite to explain why a shrine is being relocated.
Prospitdaydreamer

Post by Prospitdaydreamer »

Thank you!!
Siona

Post by Siona »

Sometimes I let offerings of water just evaporate on the shrine. Dry foods, or foods that won't spoil, might stay for a few days. Anything else I remove within a day, or even a few hours. I try to offer things that will only be okay for animals to eat, since offerings generally end up outside. Sometimes I will burn or bury them, but it's not practical for me to do all the time. Depending on what's in the cakes, they're not too bad to leave out. I have made cakes from wheat flour, honey, eggs, olive oil, and almonds, and don't feel bad about leaving them outside.

When moving shrines I don't do anything very elaborate. I like to remove the image/symbol of the deity first, and then move everything else to the new shrine, and then add the image back in. Over time you'll probably develop your own little practices when it comes to moving them. There's not really a right or wrong way, as long as it's done respectfully. Cleaning shrines isn't bad either. In Greek tradition they're generally cleaned once a month as part of the monthly festival calendar. You don't want dust to layer on the statue or other items if you never move or clean them, after all.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I've found Anubis to be pretty relaxed. He became part of my pantheon in response to the loss of a pet. He explained that he takes them to him for a time, because the ones who have experienced love, can help with the ones who weren't so lucky.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”