How to do offerings.

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
lynnlynn97

How to do offerings.

Post by lynnlynn97 »

First, I'd like to know what most people do to worship their deities. Second how to worship in a dorm with strict rules. Third can I worship 2 goddesses?
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: How to do offerings.

Post by SpiritTalker »

The main thing I do is pray...yes, witches pray, go figure. It's a completely portable, invisible way of communing through the heart, with the beloved Deity. Or I recite memorized prayers using mayla beads I've strung myself. I have a short 16-bead strand and a 108 bead strand, which represents the seasonal holidays, The zodiac and a bunch of things that all together total 108. I also have little daily devotionals like pouring water over a stone from my backyard which symbolizes refreshment for land spirits; lighting a candle ... And flameless candles are acceptable with heartfelt intent of greetings. On special days I make popcorn for the birds. I have taken in stray cats. I feed squirrels and birds equally. Any food or drink offering from ritual eventually gets placed directly onto the ground. And sometimes I just sing to let the Mother know all is well.

Now, to me, all gods are one god and all goddesses are one goddess, like different facets of a rare gem. And together They are One. The Goddess is known by 1000 names. And of course not everybody has the same concept.

There is no one way and you can worship as you feel guided. Just do your research so you don't try to use two contradictory principles in the same rite.
Siona

Post by Siona »

lynnlynn97 wrote:First, I'd like to know what most people do to worship their deities. Second how to worship in a dorm with strict rules.
I worship mainly through offerings and prayer. Offerings can be water or other drinks, food, or even acts such as volunteering, or participating in activities relating to the deity... making art, music, dancing, archery, or so on. As far as the dorm, it depends a bit on what the rules are, but I'm assuming no fire, no incense? You could still pour out a bit of cool water into a cup while saying a prayer to make an offering. Or do something outside if you can. Or even just skip the offerings and focus more on inner works like prayer and meditation. All depends on what works best for you.
Third can I worship 2 goddesses?
Absolutely, many of us do.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

As to dorm life... It's noisy and no privacy. People will touch your craft stuff, like monkeys. Getoverit. Find like-minded others to form a craft study circle...its a fantastic way to learn. Go for a walk and sit by a tree. Got curfew? Meditate. Chant, sing, dance. See the altar picture section for ideas for altars in plain sight. No candles, use flameless one's. No incense, use potpourri of herbs and fragrant spices like allspice, cloves, star anise, cinnamon sticks, mint, lavender, rosebuds. A glass of water with some flowers is an instant offering. Mint, loose or herbal tea bags, is a psychic cleanser. Place items in a ziplock baggie of mint and a pinch of salt to clear them to reuse them. Ziplock bags have 100 uses when organizing small spaces.
HopefulChild

Post by HopefulChild »

We put up a single wall hanging shelf as a shrine to our ancestors and I keep things on it. Crystals, pictures, an urn with ashes, some candles, talismans I've made. And a brass bell. So today I put a little milk, and honey, and whiskey in a small ramekin and set it on the shrine. Lit an incense, and then rang the bell one time and said my thanks to my ancestors.
You could do that in a dorm easily enough.
Fae

Post by Fae »

I'd definitely recommend checking out the altar picture section of the forum, it's a great source of inspiration!

As for me, I have a very simple altar for Aphrodite hidden in plain sight. On a shelf next to my plants i have a quote about love that reminded me of her painted on a wooden sign, and a pretty jeweled broach that reminds me of her as an offering(which i plan to plant outside on the next full moon), along with a candle.

Most people that come to my house have no idea about my beliefs and have never questioned me about it. I do also have a sort of "portable" altar for Poseidon in a small burlap bag decorated with anchors. Inside of it I have sand, salt, a dolphin tooth I found on the beach, some shells, and some other things that remind me of him.

So yes, it's definitely possible once you figure out what exactly will work for you and the space you have. When I was having trouble coming up with something I meditated on the idea and the next day I say the burlap bag in a store.

I also think my answer actually answered one of your other questions, but I do have other gods and goddesses i commune with, some even from different pantheon. Good luck on your journey!

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”