Black cats

Discussion about pets, familiars, animal totems, animal spirits, pet ghosts, and more. All animal talk, crazy and normal, is welcome here.
Kezza

Black cats

Post by Kezza »

I'm very new to all this been practising small simple spells etc and all my life been drawn to black cats just like since a little girl always been interested in witches spells etc thinking about getting a little black kitten. Anyone got a black furby and any pics to share :flyingwitch:
Autumn Jewel

Re: Black cats

Post by Autumn Jewel »

I've always felt the same way about black cats. I finally almost adopted one last Samhain, but ended up with a black and white one with one eye instead. He just drew me in. And it turned out that he became my familiar. I call his one eye "his all seeing eye", cause he don't miss nothing! But back to the black cat, I have one as a spirit animal. I have felt its presence all my life and always just referred to it as "the ghost cat" that followed me around. I only learned it was actually one of my spirit animals a couple years ago. But one day I still hope to get a black cat.
"And those who were seen dancing
were thought to be insane
by those who could not hear the music."

Someone told me to stop living in a fantasy land.
I nearly fell off my unicorn.
TwilightDancer

Post by TwilightDancer »

There's a-lot of stigma associated with black cats, as well as a few other animals because of the superstitions attached. Though these superstitions are well outdated a few people still believe and spread this nonsense around. If you're feeling drawn to one, by all means get one. I think, as witches, we feel drawn to such things because of our natural curiosity.
Lady stir your cauldron well, chant your words and sing your spell
Come and taste of the cauldron's brew and magic she will give to you

TwilightDancer's Book of Shadows
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Post by RosieMoonflower »

I love kitties! All kinds, not just black ones. I've never been really drawn to all black ones before but I have owned an all black one as a kid, and more recently 2 almost all black ones with white paws and chest. All were wonderful cats! I recently took in a stray cat living on my street and she is all black. She was afraid of everyone in the beginning but I've earned her trust and now she is a sweet mama's girl! She's always meowing at me for my attention, and such a cuddle bug! She's not very photogenic but I'll share some anyways... Her name is Scarlett so she wears a red collar.

Here she is checking out her new elevated chill spot...

And, here's my fiancé trying to gain her trust.

BTW, did you know that all black animals are the least likely to get adopted from a shelter? They say that their lack of color tends to make them blend in with their shelter surroundings and what they need is to stand out! Black cats have it worse than all black dogs because of the stereotype that black cats are evil or bring bad luck. So I say, if you're wanting to adopt an all black kitten, go for it! Just go to your local shelter and save a life! Give that black kitten and chance to have a loving home with you. Good luck!

Rosie
Kezza

Post by Kezza »

Thankyou everyone for your reply a I'm going to try out my local shelter tomorrow Scarlett is beautiful she looks very happy with you.
Autumn Jewel

Post by Autumn Jewel »

RosieMoonflower wrote: BTW, did you know that all black animals are the least likely to get adopted from a shelter? They say that their lack of color tends to make them blend in with their shelter surroundings and what they need is to stand out! Black cats have it worse than all black dogs because of the stereotype that black cats are evil or bring bad luck. So I say, if you're wanting to adopt an all black kitten, go for it! Just go to your local shelter and save a life! Give that black kitten and chance to have a loving home with you. Good luck!

Rosie
One of my local shelters takes black or near black cats off the the adoption list from about mid-October to about mid-November in fear that people will just adopt them so they can sacrifice them in a Halloween ritual. There a Christian based shelter... I think. While other shelters take full advantage of people loving black cats at Halloween and hold special events.
"And those who were seen dancing
were thought to be insane
by those who could not hear the music."

Someone told me to stop living in a fantasy land.
I nearly fell off my unicorn.
TwilightDancer

Post by TwilightDancer »

Autumn Jewel wrote:
RosieMoonflower wrote: BTW, did you know that all black animals are the least likely to get adopted from a shelter? They say that their lack of color tends to make them blend in with their shelter surroundings and what they need is to stand out! Black cats have it worse than all black dogs because of the stereotype that black cats are evil or bring bad luck. So I say, if you're wanting to adopt an all black kitten, go for it! Just go to your local shelter and save a life! Give that black kitten and chance to have a loving home with you. Good luck!

Rosie
One of my local shelters takes black or near black cats off the the adoption list from about mid-October to about mid-November in fear that people will just adopt them so they can sacrifice them in a Halloween ritual. There a Christian based shelter... I think. While other shelters take full advantage of people loving black cats at Halloween and hold special events.
My local shelter does this too, but it's more for people that intend harm on the animals based on the stereotypes.
Lady stir your cauldron well, chant your words and sing your spell
Come and taste of the cauldron's brew and magic she will give to you

TwilightDancer's Book of Shadows
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Autumn Jewel wrote:

Rosie
We have one of each in our town. One shelter takes cats off the available lists and the other holds a bug event for them. But, they look seriously into the adopter to try to prevent harm. I was wondering the same this, I sit just Christian fear that's totally made up? Or, do some loser actually do something bad to a cat on Halloween and call it devil worship? Or maybe both? Maybe it happened once a long time ago, but the legend remains because Christians have help onto it. I've volunteered in animal rescue for a long time, and I know sometimes rescuers get swept up in he bad so many humans treat their animals, we just assume every bad story we hear is true. Maybe someone who worked at a shelter heard the Halloween sacrifice story and believed it because they thought "well, I've heard worse, so it's probably true."...?

Rosie
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Kezza wrote:Thankyou everyone for your reply a I'm going to try out my local shelter tomorrow Scarlett is beautiful she looks very happy with u
So happy for you! Keep us posted!

Rosie
Myrth

Post by Myrth »

I adopted a black kitten on Black Friday. She is awesome. The first time I held her she started purring immediately. The first night I had her home I started doing Reiki while she was on my lap. Her purring got really strong, and then I felt a surge of energy coming from her. Since then she and I do Reiki together. Yes, I attuned her.

Black cats are perfectly wonderful cats. The prejudices and superstitions against them are ignorant. They are not bad luck. Indeed, if anything mine has been good luck.

Because of the prejudices and superstitions, black cats are the least likely to be adopted and the most likely to be put down. Indeed before I adopted my kitten, I saw a young black cat on the shelter's website. I went in to adopt him. He'd been put down.

So, I encourage you to adopt a black cat. Save a life. Find a new best friend.
Myrth
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

Shelters in Colorado won't release black cats for adoption around Samhain. It's for the protection of the animals. Some of the shelters are Christian oriented, some are secular, and a couple are pagan oriented. But they're all animal safety oriented.

I have a beautiful black cat named Spirit. She loves to hog the bed.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

I also have a black cat, she's called Mia and is my precious princess :)
I never actually believed in the stupid superstition about the black cats and have always loved them. Mia brings us joy and she's sweet, a little wild but always cute :)
Thitabe

Post by Thitabe »

I have 3 black cats. I have the father and 2 daughters. They are all very playful.
Ethereal Moon Rose

Post by Ethereal Moon Rose »

I have a black cat and her name is Precious. She's the most beautiful little thing. I never understood the superstition surrounding black cats.
Emerald_Tigerdeer

Post by Emerald_Tigerdeer »

I used to have a black cat named Mina. She was an adorable little thing that I rescued from my local shelter. The people there wouldn't allow you to adopt black cats during Samhain, though, because people in our area would adopt and kill them at that time of year.

Return to “Animals and Pets”