Beginner Book Recommendations.

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
dolphinpatronus

Beginner Book Recommendations.

Post by dolphinpatronus »

I'm looking for some recommendations on some good books for beginners. I have the complete idiots guide to Wicca & witchcraft (I know it sounds bad but it was a great first read) I seem to have lost many of my books over the years & I'd like to rebuild my Library while I refresh my memory & reteach myself. Basics are a great start but I'm also interested in kitchen witchery & elemental magic (I'm particularly drawn to fire & candle magic) I'm also looking for a good book on tarot reading (again I'm fine with something basic...I'd like to teach myself) I'd like to find a rider-waite style deck with some prettier art work lol

Anyway I'm starting to ramble but would glad take any suggestions. I've been out of practice so long I feel like starting over might be my best chance at finding my way again even if it's a different direction than the one I was going before.

Thanks in advance (& sorry for any typos I may haven missed. I am typing on my phone and my fingers are too big and AutoCorrect is killing me.)

Estee
Estee :)
SnowCat
Banned Member

Re: Not sure if this is where this should go but...

Post by SnowCat »

I've always like Scott Cunningham's books. Which reminds me, I need to rebuild my library. Things were loaned out and never came back. I've purchased most of my tarot decks at metaphysical shops. There's a really nice, very small one in a totally awful neighborhood in west Denver. That's the only thing I miss about living in that area. I haven't been shot at even once, since we moved to Aurora.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
dolphinpatronus

I like him too & I think a few of the books I'm missing are by him. What are your thoughts on Buckland? I can't recall reading much of his work but I've heard people like him.

We have 2 shops relatively near me I just haven't made my way to them. We used to have a 3rd that was closest to me so I went there but since it closed I've only been to one of the others. It moved to a new location & I haven't managed to get there yet. I found a beautiful set of cards on etsy but they're a bit pricey. Hmmm made s Yule gift to myself ;)
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I'm not familiar with Buckland. Maybe I should do some research.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
dolphinpatronus

Lol well when you do let me know what you think I'll do the same :)
cloverfox

Post by cloverfox »

I actually highly recommend The Complete's Idiot Guide! It does seem silly but it has great basic information and helps you find your magickal name and puts things simply. I also have Everything You Need To Know About Witchcraft. It's not as good, but it's a quick read. Scott Cunningham is good too of course and when I was younger I started with Silver Ravenwolf's Teen Witch. I know she isn't the most recommended author, but when I was younger it worked, ha.
Siona

Post by Siona »

For kitchen witchcraft I would recommend Wicca in the Kitchen,' and 'The Magical Household,' by Scott Cunningham. Also, Arin Murphy-Hiscock's 'Way of the Hedgwitch,' - nothing to do with hedgecraft, but wonderful source on kitchen witchcraft. 'Cottage Witchery,' by Ellen Dugan, is also a nice book on the subject.

As for Wicca, 'Wicca for Beginners,' by Thea Sabin, and Scott Cunningham's 'Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner,' and 'Living Wicca' are good. He's also done two books called 'Earth Power' and 'Earth Air Fire, and Water,' which get more into the elemental witchcraft sort of thing.
dolphinpatronus

Not sure if this is where this should go but...

cloverfox wrote:I actually highly recommend The Complete's Idiot Guide! It does seem silly but it has great basic information and helps you find your magickal name and puts things simply. I also have Everything You Need To Know About Witchcraft. It's not as good, but it's a quick read. Scott Cunningham is good too of course and when I was younger I started with Silver Ravenwolf's Teen Witch. I know she isn't the most recommended author, but when I was younger it worked, ha.
At 37 Teen Witch might be a little young for me lol
I thought of checking out Everything You Need To Know About Witchcraft as well as Wicca & Witchcraft for Dummies. Like you said they sound silly but sometimes the over simplification makes it an easy read.
dolphinpatronus

Siona wrote:For kitchen witchcraft I would recommend Wicca in the Kitchen,' and 'The Magical Household,' by Scott Cunningham. Also, Arin Murphy-Hiscock's 'Way of the Hedgwitch,' - nothing to do with hedgecraft, but wonderful source on kitchen witchcraft. 'Cottage Witchery,' by Ellen Dugan, is also a nice book on the subject.

As for Wicca, 'Wicca for Beginners,' by Thea Sabin, and Scott Cunningham's 'Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner,' and 'Living Wicca' are good. He's also done two books called 'Earth Power' and 'Earth Air Fire, and Water,' which get more into the elemental witchcraft sort of thing.
I'm so glad you mentioned Earth Power & Earth Air Fire & Water because I was looking at those & was curious. I have Wicca in the kitchen & the magical household (I love them both) I'll have to check out all the others...looks like I'm going to have to ask Santa for some Amazon or Barnes & Noble gift cards for the holiday LOL
dolphinpatronus

Oh & again thank you all for the recommendations :)
Iset

Post by Iset »

I've read some Buckland (complete book of witchcraft and spirit communication), he tries to keep it generic but it does have a big saex-wicca approach to things. The spirit communications book kind of felt like a book on 'how to do parlour tricks with spirits'. It was ok.

Cunningham and Sabin were my favorites hands down.
I've changed my username from RisingPhoenix to my craft name Iset!
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

If you don't mind building up a digital version of your library, we've got a few links to E-books in the Book Reviews section. I've found E-book versions of about half of Cunningham's books, I've also got stuff by Raymond Buckland, Gerald Gardner, Alex Sanders, Margaret Murray, and some others than can considered among the "classics." I've even got the "The Complete Idiot's Guide." ::coolglasses::
Don't shy away from the teen books. "The Teen book of Shadows Star Signs, Spells, Potions and Powers"
By Patricia Telesco is a good book even though I did read it in my mid-twenties. It's got one of the nicest guides to discussing your religious path with your family that I've read. Actually, there aren't a whole lot of "Witchy" books that give advice for discussing your religious views with your loved ones. Ravenwolf isn't on everyone's recommend list, but you can still learn from her with an added grain of salt.
Nikoma

Post by Nikoma »

I always recommend Scott Cunningham to everyone who is beginning. Everything from his solitary book to his herb book. I have most of them. Our community lost a treasure when he passed.

I own a couple Buckland books. One of which is "Big Blue". His book on witchcraft. I also have his book on Scotish witchcraft. They are decent.

Another couple of books I recommend are: "Drawing Down the Moon" by Margot Adler (another lost treasure), "The Spiral Dance" by Starhawk, and "The Witch's Shield" by Christopher Penczak.
cloverfox

Post by cloverfox »

Lol, yeah, I wasn't sure how old you were, I didn't want to assume anything :) Hope you find that the other books are helpful!
hecate8

Post by hecate8 »

I would recommend Modern Magic by Donald Michael Kraig. And work your way up to The Temple of High Witchcraft.
Free or drug free? America can't be both!

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”