Inconspicuous Lammas Celebration

Chat about pagan and Wiccan holidays.
Xx

Inconspicuous Lammas Celebration

Post by Xx »

With Lammas coming up, and my family not knowing my new path, I was wondering if there are ways to celebrate it without others knowing. Luckily I'll be going back to college August 11 so I'll be more free with my ways being alone in an apartment.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Inconspicuous Lammas Celebration

Post by Xiao Rong »

Lammas is all about the harvest, so one of the best ways to celebrate is to bake bread! No one has to know that it's for Lammas, and everyone likes food ; )
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Xx

Post by Xx »

Oh that's a great idea! Thank you!
TwilightDancer

Post by TwilightDancer »

Volunteer to cook dinner for the family. Go all out if you can-they don't have to know what it's for.
Like Xiao suggested you can prepare bread. You can include root vegetables and grains like rice or pasta in your dinner. You could even include a little kitchen magick. Be mindful, it's all in the intent.

Blessed Be :flyingwitch:
Lady stir your cauldron well, chant your words and sing your spell
Come and taste of the cauldron's brew and magic she will give to you

TwilightDancer's Book of Shadows
Xx

Post by Xx »

Thank you! I'm excited and I have enough time to plan ahead. Yay! I'll have to look into kitchen magic and find or make a prayer or something to include. Maybe even food correspondences for peace/ happiness
TwilightDancer

Post by TwilightDancer »

Peronette wrote:Thank you! I'm excited and I have enough time to plan ahead. Yay! I'll have to look into kitchen magic and find or make a prayer or something to include. Maybe even food correspondences for peace/ happiness
That sounds like a wonderful idea. :fairy:

Blessed Be :flyingwitch:
Lady stir your cauldron well, chant your words and sing your spell
Come and taste of the cauldron's brew and magic she will give to you

TwilightDancer's Book of Shadows
Xx

Post by Xx »

Thank you for the ideas! :D :flyingwitch:
RoseRed92

Post by RoseRed92 »

I have been in the same boat as you, and I've been searching through Pinterest for ideas. :) I've found many decoration ideas, such as decorating with harvest items: corn Dolly "pilgrims", wheat wreaths bound with red ribbon, bread recipes, corn, Turkeys.... Pretty much Thanksgiving decor. ;) No one has to know the origin of our sudden gusto for the holidays! Haha.
Siona

Post by Siona »

As others have mentioned, baking bread is a great Lammas activity. I like to make a bread that requires a bit of kneading, time to rise, and so on, rather than a quick bread - I use that time to meditate a bit on the whole cycle of planting a seed into the earth, it growing and being nurtured by the sun, water, blowing in the wind, the human work that went into growing, harvesting, grinding the grain, the transformation it all goes through as it is baked into bread. It's discreet, you can just look like you're hanging around in the kitchen, you know?

Depending on where you live, you might also like going to to a 'you pick' berry patch, and picking some fresh seasonal fruits. Blueberries and blackberries are both in season in a lot of places, but again, depends on where you live. It's another nice, slow activity that gives plenty of time to connect to the land and the seasonal cycles. You can use them in your baking, or even make a nice jam to go with your bread.

Corn and a lot of other veggies might be ready for harvest, too. It's a great time to see what's coming up locally.
Xx

Post by Xx »

Siona wrote:As others have mentioned, baking bread is a great Lammas activity. I like to make a bread that requires a bit of kneading, time to rise, and so on, rather than a quick bread - I use that time to meditate a bit on the whole cycle of planting a seed into the earth, it growing and being nurtured by the sun, water, blowing in the wind, the human work that went into growing, harvesting, grinding the grain, the transformation it all goes through as it is baked into bread. It's discreet, you can just look like you're hanging around in the kitchen, you know?
That's a good idea. I've read "Miracle of Mindness" by Thich Naht Hanh and I loved it. Basically it discusses being mindful in everyday activities. If you wash the dishes, think about washing them and how they were once dirty but now they are clean. Don't think about everything else, like worries or the rest of the to-do-list, while washing the dishes. The way you described how you bake bread and meditate during the process is an example of the things in the book.
Siona wrote:
Depending on where you live, you might also like going to to a 'you pick' berry patch, and picking some fresh seasonal fruits. Blueberries and blackberries are both in season in a lot of places, but again, depends on where you live. It's another nice, slow activity that gives plenty of time to connect to the land and the seasonal cycles. You can use them in your baking, or even make a nice jam to go with your bread.

Corn and a lot of other veggies might be ready for harvest, too. It's a great time to see what's coming up locally.
I live in southeastern USA so I can trek through the woods/ forest and find wild blackberries. They are usually much larger and sweeter too. There is also a farmers market here and it has a wide variety of fruits and vegetables. Thanks for those ideas! I will definitely use them!

RoseRed92 wrote:I have been in the same boat as you, and I've been searching through Pinterest for ideas. :) I've found many decoration ideas, such as decorating with harvest items: corn Dolly "pilgrims", wheat wreaths bound with red ribbon, bread recipes, corn, Turkeys.... Pretty much Thanksgiving decor. ;) No one has to know the origin of our sudden gusto for the holidays! Haha.
Oh. Thank you! :D
Siona

Post by Siona »

Peronette wrote:I live in southeastern USA so I can trek through the woods/ forest and find wild blackberries. They are usually much larger and sweeter too.
Even better! :) I like to go looking for wild blueberries here since they're pretty different from the store and farm varieties, they're usually ripe before Lammas, but I try to turn some into jam to use for my Lammas celebrations. When I was younger I use to pick wild raspberries, too, but I haven't been able to find any in a long time.
Lillady

Post by Lillady »

I have been in your shoes myself and what I normally would do would be to just fix a dinner with bread and vegetables as Lammas is the celebration of the harvest. Then that evening I would sit outside by myself under the light of the moon and tell the universe thank you for all it gives. I still do this in tradition just can be open about it now :) Enjoy and Happy Lammas on Friday everyone!!!!
Xx

Post by Xx »

Well I just realized I planned my sisters bridal shower the day after Lammas but I'll be baking and making things on Friday! I don't know why I didn't think about it before! I will be baking with my very Christian grandmother but I can chant or pray in my mind. I might write a song thanking the god and goddess. That way I can think of the words and hum them in a tune while I bake and make the snacks :D

Happy Lammas :flyingwitch:
Opalene

Post by Opalene »

I'm glad I read this thread- now I have ideas, too!

Return to “Sabbats and Esbats”