Spiders?

Discussion about pets, familiars, animal totems, animal spirits, pet ghosts, and more. All animal talk, crazy and normal, is welcome here.
cloverfox

Spiders?

Post by cloverfox »

I've noticed something interesting lately. Ever since I've sort of become more into Wicca again and been reading up more, thinking about it more and visiting this site, I have noticed more and more spiders popping up everywhere in my life. I suppose some of them were understandable when we moved recently, but one was crawling on my foot in my sister's car, I saw a really cool one in her window-sill today, found one hanging out with me on the balcony, and so on.

Sure these are probably all common places for them to pop up, but I am hyper-aware of them and they seem to want their presence known by me, does this sound crazy? Luckily I am not afraid of spiders and my first instinct has never been to kill them, but maybe this means something?

I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Lunar Rose

Re: Spiders?

Post by Lunar Rose »

It's strange you say that, I've had the opposite experience and I can't stand stand spiders. When I got back into wicca, they just sort of vanished from my home. It's almost like they can tell they're not welcome there. I still see them in the garden, or when I'm out, which is fine, but never in my house. Which is strange as I live in an old house which used to be crawling with them! Maybe they can sense whether we do or do not like them around us?!
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

Lunar Rose wrote: Maybe they can sense whether we do or do not like them around us?!
I wish that were true ... sigh ... Thank all the Gods, I haven't had a spider crawling my foot while driving - that would cause an accident :anxious:
Anyway, cloverfox, I think you will be interested in this: http://paganwiccan.about.com/od/samhain ... lklore.htm
and this: http://www.wicca-spirituality.com/wicca ... tml#spider
Another explanation can be that you are more aware of the nature world and just notice them more now. My husband wouldn't see dozen spiders in a small room, while me, because I am terrified of the little eight legged .... (won't say that word), in a spacious place, would see every one of them, even the smallest.
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

Maybe we notice certain creatures more at particular points in our lives. Ever since I started hanging out with a friend of mine, I see a lot of owl things in the stores. I want owl potholders! loveface Lately I've been drawn to foxes and wolves.
Lunar Rose wrote:Maybe they can sense whether we do or do not like them around us?!
This makes me think of how some animals will avoid people that don't like them, while others will still try to befriend people that don't like them. Spiders are a good example. I'm the biggest anti-spider person in the house, but I'm the one they come after, especially in the bathroom. No one else in the house has seen any spiders in the bathroom, but me. :evil:
Xx

Post by Xx »

Echo_of_shadows wrote:Maybe we notice certain creatures more at particular points in our lives. Ever since I started hanging out with a friend of mine, I see a lot of owl things in the stores. I want owl potholders! loveface Lately I've been drawn to foxes and wolves.
Lunar Rose wrote:Maybe they can sense whether we do or do not like them around us?!
This makes me think of how some animals will avoid people that don't like them, while others will still try to befriend people that don't like them. Spiders are a good example. I'm the biggest anti-spider person in the house, but I'm the one they come after, especially in the bathroom. No one else in the house has seen any spiders in the bathroom, but me. :evil:
I'm the same way. No one else notices them except me. I call it my spidey sense because I always notice them and only in my room and my bathroom. Even the smallest ones. I nearly cracked my head open once trying to flee from one in the shower. I got stuck in the curtain and ripped the curtain rod off of the wall(it was a huge garden spider).
Ever since I started reading into wiccan and pagan practices again I see them more frequently. A few nights ago I imagined how terrified I would be if one was in the bed and later that night I woke out of a dead sleep because something was tickling my arm. I ninja jumped out of my bed to turn on the light and it was of course a spider. I'm deathly afraid of them. Does the "an ye harm none, do what ye will" rule apply to spiders? I don't kill anything else and if it isn't in my house I leave it alone. I don't like killing them but I don't want to lose it and get bitten later.

Edit*

Crap I just read from those websites I saw above that it is bad luck to kill them. I'm just so scared that it will be venomous because there are two venomous spiders in Tennessee and I never get close enough to tell if it is or not
cloverfox

Post by cloverfox »

I'm quite honestly surprised at how many people are afraid of spiders, or despise them! (I'm more afraid of bees than spiders, myself, LOL).

Since starting this post I STILL see more and more of them. They rather like crawling on me as well, and they do not scare me. I'm sure if a GIANT known poisonous one were to land on me though it would be a different story. But small spiders, white spiders, wolf spiders, no big deal. I'm still so puzzled as to why I have been attracting them lately, but I like to think they are just little guardians that are like, "Hey, what's up, I'm here, making sure you're good, the Goddess sent me, no big deal." LOL.

I do a lot of walking to get from point A to point B, so I may just be exposed to them more in general. I felt a tickle as I walked into Starbucks the other day on my walk to work, and found a tiny baby spider on my shoulder. I was just like, "Oh hey."

As I was walking home today from the grocery store though, I thought to myself, "Huh, I haven't seen any spiders today, wonder why." Like it's just become such a regular occurrence that I start to worry! Haha. Anyway, I will just have to accept it for what it is, and welcome the little creatures into my life regularly :)
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

I know this has been touched upon a few times already in this thread, but I wanted to add! (:

I totally think this is true, but I think it goes deeper than that. I think that and of course this is my personal belief, that animals (spiders and any kind of insect/arachnid/what have you) all have a consciousness and a spirit. I think that while they do understand this and can sense it, I think that they also recognize that we are on a path that is usually about respect of nature. I think they can sense that not only do we not want them or DO want them around us, but respect our wishes more than they would if we did not work within the paths that we do.

Just some food for thought! (:
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

Cloverfox, try looking up Grandma Webster. Alsso try researching spiders in southwest Native American traditions. I don't know where you are in Texas, but I would bet that you're somewhere near a spiritual power area. The spiders have a message for you. It's up to you to listen and learn.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Floyd Pinkerton

Post by Floyd Pinkerton »

I had a spider crawl onto my Book of Shadows this afternoon as I was writing it. My natural instinct was to flick it away but then I felt bad.
Seraphin
Location: EUTM's dungeon, keeping a dragon egg in a pot over a fireplace!

Post by Seraphin »

Spiders are messengers for me; the messenger usually comes on seven (rather than eight) legs, telling me I'm 'missing something' and that I need to pay closer attention.
Seraphin

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.
cloverfox

Post by cloverfox »

SnowCat wrote:Cloverfox, try looking up Grandma Webster. Alsso try researching spiders in southwest Native American traditions. I don't know where you are in Texas, but I would bet that you're somewhere near a spiritual power area. The spiders have a message for you. It's up to you to listen and learn.

Snow
I'm in Austin, I feel like it's quite a magical city, ha.

And still, since I started this thread, I see spiders all the time! I love it. Saw a wolf/jumping spider in my kitchen this morning as I was making coffee and I said to him, "Yes, I know, thank you, I'm going to pay my tuition today, haha." I've discovered that they make their presence known mostly around the time I have a big bill such as rent. I saw one yesterday too who was giving me a little reminder as well.

They still make me happy and remind me to always pay my rent on time! LOL.

After I paid my tuition and got the class I wanted I encountered a ladybug and realized that good things are coming next semester! I love my little buggy messengers ^_^

Return to “Animals and Pets”