food addiction

Discuss mental health issues, including suicidal thoughts, here.
valerian moon

food addiction

Post by valerian moon »

I have a food addiction and i cant stop myself.
I just eat and eat and eat and i hate myself so much and i cant stop no matter how hard i try.
You may call me Valerian Moon, or simply Val.
Sakura Blossom

Re: food addiction

Post by Sakura Blossom »

I'm the same way. I was talking to my psychiatrist about this, this week too. He brought it up as being addicted, because he told me that most everything has gluten (which I'm intolerant to) but it actually stimulates your brain like Morphine does, and makes you want it more and more so you can't stop eating it. It's really hard for me to stop too, and I'll do okay for a few days, then crash back in.
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
valerian moon

Post by valerian moon »

Sakura Blossom wrote:It's really hard for me to stop too, and I'll do okay for a few days, then crash back in.
usually i just don't care, but i want to be a size 15 again.
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

Oh, definitely, I want to be a size 16. ): But most importantly, I want to lose weight for my health because I have pancreatic issues that will get worse if I keep eating the way I do.
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
valerian moon

Post by valerian moon »

Sakura Blossom wrote:Oh, definitely, I want to be a size 16. ): But most importantly, I want to lose weight for my health because I have pancreatic issues that will get worse if I keep eating the way I do.
yep, same, same. type 1 diabetes. caused by apparently some kind of infection in my youth.
ThePhoenyx

Post by ThePhoenyx »

Sorry for posting on a dead thread (5 months (;), but I've heard that amethyst is very good for dealing with addiction. The name amethyst actually comes from the Greek for 'not drunken' (a means not, methustos means drunken) so yeah.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I wouldn't say that five months is that long as far as bringing up a thread again. Especially going into the time of year when it's even easier to overeat. I wasn't aware of that property of amethyst. Thank you for bringing it up. Food addiction is an especially tough one to deal with, since we can't just stop eating.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
azriel

Post by azriel »

This is a trick that someone taught me and it involves you training yourself to only use your non-dominant hand to eat. When you feel an urge to eat snacks or have a large meal, use your non-dominant hand to pour yourself a serving or when you hand-pick some food. Since it is the hand you do not use as much, you will not feel as inclined to constantly reach out for food. It will take time and dedication to remember that, in regards to food, you will use your other hand, but it can help you in the long run.

Azriel
^-^~
Unfold your wings and take off into the sky
Before you're burned, become the sun
Blow, oh wind... It guides you into the sky
Before your whole self is taken away

Oasis~~~Gackt
Nyd

Post by Nyd »

I second the suggestion about Gluten. And there are more addictive foods then that.

I was loading up on certain addictive foods in the past and developed health issues. All I ate was bread, rice, pasta...anything starchy. Other foods where included in small amounts only.

Because of my health issues, I looked into health diets and found the Paleo Diet (I was never heavier than this but sick). It explains how some foods can be addictive. With the diet not only my health issues disappeared, but also my addiction to certain foods diminished once I stopped eating them (Gluten, Sugar, Starch).

It only takes some time of discipline and things will get much easier.

Many people also have great success losing weight on this diet. For many carbs are a reason they gain so much and with those reduced the weight just drops naturally.
:needrune:
Nyd byþ nearu on breostan; weorþeþ hi þeah oft niþa bearnum
to helpe and to hæle gehwæþre, gif hi his hlystaþ æror.

Return to “Mental Health”