Houseplants for Fresh Air

Love to garden? Me too! Garden talk and photos goes here: Flower gardens, vegetable gardens, organic gardening, natural pest control, houseplants, more.
Alura Noel

Houseplants for Fresh Air

Post by Alura Noel »

Alura Noel

Re: Houseplants for Fresh Air

Post by Alura Noel »

'

Areca Palm
(Chrysalidocarpus lutescens)

Family:
Arecaceae (palm)

Origin:
Madagascar

Light:
Semi-sun

Temperature:
65-75῝F (18-24῝C)

Pests and Problems:
Spider mites and brown tips on fronds from over-dry atmosphere

Care:
Keep the root ball damp. Provide a complete fertilizer on a regular basis, except in winter. Mist regularly to give it a fresh appearance and to provide humidity to discourage insect infestation.

Media:
A good loam-based potting soil is needed for standard containers. However, because the areca palm has a very high transpiration rate, hydroculture or sub-irrigation methods are highly recommended. These methods require less frequent watering.

Also known as yellow palm or butterfly palm, the areca pal, is one of the most popular and graceful palms. It is tolerant of the indoor environment, releases copious amounts of moisture into the air, removes chemical toxins, and is also beautiful to look at.

One of the faster-growing palms, the areca features a cluster of cane like stalks that produce feathery, yellow-green fronds. Because of its all-around good qualities, the areca is commonly found in commercial settings as well as in the home. And under planting of golden pothos or English ivy adds to its aesthetic appeal.

In a home setting, a 6 ft. areca palm transpires approximately 1 quart of water every 24 hours. The areca is consistently rated among the best houseplants for removing all indoor air toxins tested. It also has the unique ability to move salt accumulations to selected branches. When saturated, these branches die and should be quickly removed. Its high marks in all rated categories make the areca one of the top “eco-friendly” houseplants.

Overall rating -------- 8.5
Removal of chemical vapors.......########
Ease of growth and maintenance. ########
Resistance to insect infestation.. ########
Transpiration rate.................. ##########

Lady Palm
(Rhapis excels)

Family:
Arecaeae (plam)

Origin:
Southern China

Light:
Semi-sun

Temperature:
60-70 F (16-21 C): do not allow to drop below 50 F (10 C) in winter

Pests and Problems:
Usually pest free. Occasionally spider mites. Too dry a location causes fronds to dry and turn brown.

Care:
Water generously in spring and summer. In a warm, dry winter indoor environment, it may be necessary to water more frequently. Feed monthly with diluted liquid fertilizer.

Media:
Soil, hydoculture or sub-irrigation

This large pal gas fans 6 – 12 in wide that consist of between four and ten thick, shiny leaves. The leaves are connected to a brown, hairy main trunk by thin, arching stems. Lady palm is one of the easiest houseplants to care for and is highly resistant to attack of most plant insects. It is also one of the best plants for improving indoor air quality. It grows slowly and is easy to maintain.

When grown using sub-irrigation or hydroculture and tap water, some concentration of salt and minerals may accumulate in its leaf tops causing them to turn brown. The leaf tips can be trimmed with pinking shears to remove the salt buildup and leave the tips with their natural green, saw-toothed appearance.

Overall rating -------- 8.5
Removal of chemical vapors.......#######
Ease of growth and maintenance. #########
Resistance to insect infestation.. ##########
Transpiration rate.................. ########

To be continued.

'
Alura Noel

Post by Alura Noel »

'

Bamboo Palm
(Chamaedorea seifrizii))

Family:
Arecaceae (palm)

Origin:
Mexico

Light:
Semi-sun

Temperature:
60-75 F (16-24 C); not below 50 F (10C) in winter

Pests and Problems:
Spider mites and scale insects are a risk when the atmosphere is too dry.

Care:
Provide plenty of water during periods of active growth. In winter, when grown in standard containers, water just enough to keep the root ball moist. Wash the leaves periodically to prevent spider mites. Do not pinch out the tip of the stalks or cut off the newest frond as this will eliminate new growth.

Media:
In standard containers, pot in all-purpose potting soil with a little sand added to improve drainage. Because the bamboo palm has a high transpiration rate, it is easy to maintain using hydroculture or sub-irrigation methods, which require less frequent watering.

Most members of the palm family are easy to care for and continue to be popular house plants. The bamboo palm is no exception and is a long-standing favorite in homes and commercial establishments. It produces clusters of small, slender canes. Its graceful fans and rich green color give it an overall lacy appearance. A bamboo palm can reach a height of about 6 ft.

Bamboo palms are often chosen over areca palms by commercial interiorscapers because they are more resistant to insect infestation. They add a peaceful, tropical feeling wherever they are placed.

In terms of its atmospheric benefits, the bamboo palm has an excellent overall rating and one of the highest transpiration ratings. It pumps much needed moisture into the indoor atmosphere, especially during winter months when heating systems dry the air. This palm is also one of the top-rated plants tested for the removal of benzene, trichloroethylene and formaldehyde.

Overall rating -------- 8.4
Removal of chemical vapors.......#########
Transpiration rate.................. #########

Rubber Plant
(Ficus Robusta)

Family:
Moraceae (fig)

Origin:
India and Malaya

Light:
Semi-sun to semi-shade

Temperature:
60-80 F (16-27C); will tolerate temperatures as low as 40F (5C) for short periods

Pests and Problems:
In dry, centrally heated air, susceptible to attacks by scale insects, spider mites and thrips.

Care:
Feed regularly during the summer months only. Water regularly from midsummer to fall, allowing the soil to dry slightly between waterings; then water sparingly. The rubber tree does not tolerate overwatering.

Media:
Grows well in soil or hydroculture

Formerly known as Ficus elastic, the rubber plant was a favorite plant of the Victorians and remains equally popular today. Bred for toughness, it will survive in less light than most plants its size. It will tolerate dim light and cool temperatures.
This plant is easy to grow and is especially effective at removing formaldehyde. It receives high marks in all categories and is an excellent overall houseplant.

Its common name is derived from its thick, leather-like, dark-green leaves that contain a rubber-like latex. Given proper conditions, it will eventually reach a height of 8 ft. Of the ficus plants tested to date, the rubber plant is the best for removing toxins from the indoor environment. Favored by architects and designers for its aesthetic value and its ease of growth, its popularity for years to come should be reinforced by its ability to remove toxins.

Overall rating -------- 8.0
Removal of chemical vapors....... #########
Transpiration rate.................. #######

'
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

I like the idea of indoor plants. In theory, I have a hard time keeping them alive... Currently I have a vine of something or other that my sister gave me and it's impossible to kill (I've forgotten to water it for months at a time and it still is leafy and green and grows). :) Yay, training plants!
Alura Noel

Post by Alura Noel »

I like the idea of indoor plants. In theory, I have a hard time keeping them alive...
hahahaha I have done that a lot! It took me a while to work my way up to keeping them thriving and being mindful of watering them (if they aren't in water and vases) Vines usually are pretty easy to maintain.

Have you thought about trying to grow some in the water? You could make a few babies from that vine your sister gave you and have a few more. I find that's the easiest way to start out with houseplants and keep them living.

Here's an article about how to grow some houseplants in water. (by the way, he suggests trying english ivy and philodendron. English Ivy scored a 7.8 and Philodendron[heart-shaped] scored a 6.3 overall.)
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Hi! thanks for this, although every time I have got one of those palms (the one on top they sell here) I Kill it within the year, I can grow pothos though, seems to be the only one I can keep alive...oh, and a dracena. I'm not so good with house plants. I also have a few African violets, but the only reason they live (I think) is because I forget to water them and they really kinda like it dry. Alura...do you have any info on those two(pothos & dracena) and if they are good air cleaners?
BB,FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Alura Noel

Post by Alura Noel »

Hey Firebird,

Have you tried hydroculture pots with the palm? I had a hard time keeping mine looking well until I switched it to the hydroculture method. Takes the watering amounts and questions out of the equation. I also like to rotate my houseplants outside or near a window so they get some natural light too. Hows your lighting?

In most books I have read about lighting, natural light is preferred and the easiest. But a combination of different light bulbs is okay too (with a supplement of natural light).

Incandescent bulbs are great for flowering plants but not sufficient enough for the sole light source for growing plants. And fluorescent light is great for plants that are primarily grown for their foliage.

My mom likes to grow African violets, I have yet to keep one alive. I either water it too much or not enough. :(

The Pothos scored a 7.5 overall and Dracaena is number 5 of the top 10 house plants, it scored a 7.8. Dracaena is also listed among the top five plants that do the best at removing Formaldehyde.
Alura Noel

Post by Alura Noel »

'

Dracaena “Janet Craig”
(Dracaena deremensis “Janet Craig”)

Family:
Agavaceae (agave)

Origin:
Canary Islands, Africa, Asia and Madagascar

Light:
Semi-shade; will tolerate dimly lit areas, but growth will be slow.

Temperature:
Ideally, 60-70F (16-24C). Can survive in temperatures as low as 50 F (10C) but leaves may yellow.

Pests and Problems:
Usually pest resistant, but may suffer attacks of spider mites, scale insects or mealybugs in air that is too dry.

Care:
Keep soil evenly moist, but not soggy. Do not allow the root ball to dry. Provide liquid fertilizer every two weeks in spring and summer. In fall and winter, water less often and do not feed. Mist often or wipe with a damp cloth. Do not use commercial leaf shine products.

Media:
Use a commercial all-purpose potting soil, and repot every two years. Grows equally well in hydroculture.

The dark green leaves of dracaena “Janet Craig” make it a most attractive plant. It is one of the best for removing trichloroethylene.

Dracaena features a rosette of broad, dark green leaves. The mature plant can reach a height of 10 ft, but can be contained by pruning. The “Compacta” is a smaller variety that reaches only 1 to 3 feet. While the regular variety grows quickly, the “Compacta” is a slow grower. It is also less demanding in its care requirements than the larger version. These plants tolerate neglect and dimly lit environments.

“Janet Craig” is best among the dracaenas for removing chemical toxins from the indoor environment. Scoring well in all categories, it should live for decades if properly maintained.

Overall rating -------- 7.8
Removal of chemical vapors....... ########

'
Alura Noel

Post by Alura Noel »

'

English Ivy
(Hedera helix )

Family:
Araliacaeae (aralia)

Origin:
Asia, Europe, and North Africa

Light:
Semi-sun to semi-shade

Temperature:
Day: 60-70 F (16-21 C)
Night: 50-60 F (10-16 C)

Pests and Problems:
Spider mites and scale insects in too warm and dry a location.

Care:
Water well in spring and summer with room temperature water. Allow to dry slightly between waterings in fall and winter. Feed regularly with a weak concentration fertilizer when plants are growing. Mist often, especially during winter when the air is dry.

Media:
Grows equally well in hydroculture or all-purpose potting soil.

English Ivy is often used as ground cover but to add interest, try growing it in topiary form. It is ideal for use in hanging baskets. Countless varieties of ivy have been developed that offer a wide range of leaf shapes and colors. They are easy to grow and adapt to a variety of home environments. However, they do not generally do well in high temperatures.

The typical ivy leaf consists of three to five lobes, but shows differences in coloring for each variety. The variegated ivies require plenty of light otherwise they lose their coloring.

English ivy is a vigorous climber, which sends out aerial roots that attach themselves to any surface. This plant may benefit from being outdoors for a period in spring or summer. It has an excellent overall rating and is particularly effective at removing formaldehyde.

'
Alura Noel

Post by Alura Noel »

'

Dwarf Date Palm
(Phoenix roebelenii)

Family:
(palm)

Origin:
Tropical and sub-tropical Africa and Asia

Light:
Semi-sun

Temperature:
60-75 F (16-24 C) not below 50 F (10 C) in winter

Pests and Problems:
Spider mites in dry air, brown fronds from overwatering or the use of hard water.

Care:
The root ball should be kept evenly moist. However, the soil can be allowed to dry between waterings in winter. This plant loves frequent misting. The date palm prefers a weekly feeding schedule, except in winter when feeding can be on a biweekly basis.

Media:
The date palm is quite happy in standard indoor potting soil. Hydroculture or sub-irrigation methods are preferred because these methods require less frequent watering.

The palm usually reaches a maximum height of 5 to 61/2 ft. However, it is a very slow grower. It produces a stately main trunk with graceful, green fans that droop elegantly. The fronds reach about 3 ft and grow almost horizontally.

It is best seen when given adequate space and is impressive standing alone, especially when given spot lighting. Because of its natural habitat is underneath the canopy of dense, tropical forests, it adapts quite well to the low light levels and controlled temperatures of homes and offices.

When its environmental needs are met, the date palm can survive for decades. The dwarf date palm, like most other palms, has a high overall rating. It is one of the best palms for removing indoor air pollutants and is especially effective for the removal of xylene.

Ease of growth and maintenance. #######

-
Alura Noel

Post by Alura Noel »

'

Ficus Alii
(Ficus Macleilandii “Alii”)

Family:
Moraceae (fig)

Origin:
Thailand

Light:
Full sun and semi-sun

Temperature:
Day: 60-75 F (16*24 C)
Night: 55-68 F (13-20 C) avoid drafts

Pests and Problems:
Rarely, scale insects or mealybugs

Care:
When using standard containers, water thoroughly, then allow to dry between waterings. Yellowing of leaves may indicate overwatering. In a sun-room or south-facing window, fertilize monthly. In darker settings, feed less often.

Media:
When growing in soil, it is critical not to overwater this ficus. It is easier to maintain using sub-irrigation or hydroculture techniques.

This is a new ficus that is rapidly gaining popularity. Its slender dark green leaves make it an extremely attractive plant. The ficus alii was imported to Hawaii from Thailand by Masuo Moriwaki, a Japanese plant collector. In the early 1980s, it was brought to South Florida and first sold commercially in the mid 1980s. IT is much less finicky than the Ficus benjamina, and is appealing both interior plantscape industry and to the home market.

There are three types: the standard tree, the bush (several stems from one pot), and the braids (two or three entwined trunks). Like all species of ficus, expect some leaf drop until the plant adjusts to its new location.

A magnificent large plant, its ability to help purify the air, ease of growth and resistance to insects make it an excellent choice for the home or office.

Overall rating -------- 7.7
Removal of chemical vapors....... #######
Ease of growth and maintenance. #######
Resistance to insect infestation.. #########
Transpiration rate.................. ########

'
Alura Noel

Post by Alura Noel »

'

Boston Fern
(Nephrolepis exaltata "Bostoniensis")

Family:
Polypodiaceae (fern)

Origin:
Tropical regions worldwide

Light:
Semi-sun

Temperature:
Day: 65-75F
night: 50-60F

Pests and Problems:
Rarely scale insects. spider mites and aphids

Care:
Feed weekly with a weak liquid fertilizer as long as the plant is producing new foliage. Feed sparingly in winter. Provide tepid water to keep the soil moist but not soggy. Never let the root ball dry completely. Ferns lobe to be misted, and this is essential in hot, dry air.

Media:
Grows best in soil-less mix, but this method requires watering. It also performs well in a humus-rich potting soil and prefers to be somewhat pot-bound. For a less frequent watering schedule, hydroculutre is the preferred choice.

Ferns are probably one of the oldest groups of plants. Many have been found as fossils dating back to prehistoric times. They were first treasured indoors for this lush foliage in the Victorian age, and are equally popular today.

The Boston ferns stiff fronds arch out, drooping downward as they age. It is grown strictly for its foliage for it does not produce flowers. It is best displayed in a hanging basket or sitting upon a pedestal.

As an indoor plant, the Boston fern requires a certain amount of attention. It must have frequent misting and watering or the leaves will quickly turn brown and begin to drop.

Of the plants tested, it is the best for removing air pollutant, especially formaldehyde, and for adding humidity to the indoor environment.

Overall rating -------- 7.5
Ease of growth and maintenance. ####
Transpiration rate.................. #########

'

Return to “Gardening”