Addiction, Survivor Support & Meditation Links

Discussion of healing and energy work. (We have a new forum for Prayer Requests. It's down in the Member's Nook.)
Kassandra

Addiction, Survivor Support & Meditation Links

Post by Kassandra »

​Addiction Recovery

Addictions have lessons to teach us, if we carefully listen to them. For those who are ready to pursue recovery, there are numerous support groups and organizations. These resources provide fellowship, practical information, and referrals to healing and other services. Here are links to a few organizations supportive of the recovery process:​

Addiction Guide
Adult Children of Alcoholics - Meeting information
Al-Anon-AlaTeen - Help for Friends and Families of Drinkers
Alcoholics Anonymous - Help for Alcoholics
CoDependents Anonymous - Developing Healthy Relationships
Gamblers Anonymous - There is Hope
Love Addicts Anonymous
Narcotics Anonymous - World Services
National Self-Harm Network - discussion forum
Overeaters Anonymous - Recovery from Over-eating
Sex and Love Addicts Anonymous - You Are Not Alone

Grief and Survivor Support

It seems like Western culture encourages us to have a short emotional attention span. Even well-meaning loved ones and friends often advise us to "just get over it" and "move on," without even realizing we may need more time to process certain emotions and thoughts, to adjust. Since our needs for closure and resolution are seldom honored, at times we have to seek outside support in order to truly heal and achieve peace with certain issues in our lives.

In my readings, I have noticed that many people are actually grieving about something, without even realizing it. This makes sense when you think about it. We experience so many "deaths" in the course of living, not just those of loved ones passing away. There are deaths of relationships, deaths of lives we may have lived before moving to a new location. Sometimes, we grieve the loss of a job ...and so on. Furthermore, many of us have survived serious, traumatic experiences for which we may need extra help in processing and transcending. So, here are links to grief and survivor support services that I hope will help you achieve the healing you need:

AfterSilence.com - For Sexual Abuse Survivors
Anger Management - An Article by the APA
Cognitive Processing Therapy (CPT) - Therapist's Manual (Military Version)
Grief.com - Because Love Never Dies​
LivePerson.com - Instant Online Counseling​
National Center for PTSD - Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
National Domestic Violence Hotline
PTSD Podcast - excellent podcast about symptoms and treatments

Meditation

Unless you are directed by a healthcare professional not to meditate, a meditation practice will support your efforts to overcome any challenge (note: again, it is not recommended if you are directed not to do it, as it could make some conditions even worse). Many scientific studies suggest there are physiological and psychological advantages to meditation. Anyone could benefit from it --active children needing to center themselves, busy business people needing to focus and solve problems, students learning and integrating new material, homemakers coordinating hectic schedules and chores.

A lot of people want to meditate but don't know where to start. My approach is to start at the beginning. Every day, even every session, is a new beginning. No matter how distracted you are and how hopeless it feels, just allow each session to unfold as it will, without expecting a "perfect" meditation practice (which doesn't exist, anyway). Little by little, this approach will add confidence to your practice.

As far as what style of meditation to practice, I personally recommend either Chan, Insight, Vipassana or Zen meditation. The simpler, the better. To me, the less emphasis on chanting, incense, and other bells and whistles --and the more emphasis on "just sitting"-- the better.

Chan Meditation - Sheng Yen Tradition
How to Practice Vipasanna Meditation - by Shambhala Sun
​Insight Meditation Center - New York
Meditation cushions (worth the money --your bottom and legs will thank you!)​
Meetup.com - Find a meditation group
Vipassana Meditation - S.N. Goenka Tradition
Zen Center - San Francisco

Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Addiction, Survivor Support & Meditation Links

Post by Xiao Rong »

This is a wonderful guide! You should totally sticky this to the top of the forum (is "sticky" the term? Anyways, you know what I mean!)
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Khaleesi

Post by Khaleesi »

Great resources! Thank you! :)
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Stuck!

When you are feeling weak, reach out,... it will be the strongest move you ever make.
Be open to answers you didn't expect....
FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Answers You Didn't Expect
firebirdflys wrote:Be open to answers you didn't expect...
Excellent advice firebirdflys. Fits in well here because in the process of healing from something, we often learn new things about ourselves. I actually wrote about something along these lines in an old post on my blog, When Questions You Didn't Ask Lead to Answers You Need. In my reading work, I have come to call this, "The Wild Card Effect." One of the most life-changing questions I asked in a reading someone did for me was, "What does the Universe want me to know, that I haven't asked you?" Her answer to me changed everything. So now, when I read for others, I always pay attention to the information that comes spontaneously like that. Maybe I'll post a little something in the "Divination" forum about the importance of "The Wild Card Effect."

"Be open to answers you didn't expect," indeed. People don't realize it, but often, the Universe doesn't just speak to us through tarot cards, or other ways "officially requested" by us. Sometimes, when we ask the Universe a question, or we ask for help with something, it answers us in a totally unexpected way. We might ask one person, but the answer comes through someone else. But it's still an answer, nonetheless, and rather than get defensive and shoot the messenger, the wisest souls know to acknowledge the message, learn from it, then make changes in their lives accordingly. I notice that's the route most people take.

Bi-lingual Brochures & Translators

Anyway, thanks FF for "sticky-ing" the OP (and thanks for suggesting it be "stickyed," Xiao, lol) FF, I also wanted to add here a link to your post for the National Domestic Violence Hotline contact info, from a while back. I will add it in the text of the support services in the above list.

And I wanted to remind those who have loved ones that don't speak English, but who are suffering from abuse, to tell those loved ones about these support services. Most orgs have bi-lingual brochures, and translators available. Often, people from the "Old Country" (whatever that may be) don't understand that they could get help for what they're going through. This has been the case before in my own family, which is why I am mentioning it. They may not have had these kinds of resources where they came from. So, we have to bring them to their attention. However, don't be too disappointed if they don't take your advice, because in many cultures it's frowned upon for a female to speak up for herself and get help, or for a male to admit he is being abused and needs help. Some people would rather suffer the abuse, rather than face the consequences of exposing it. In the end, that's their choice (unless it involves abuse of minor children).

Finally, I wanted to extend an open invitation to all to add links to orgs that you think should be represented here, that would be helpful and healing to others.

Thanks.

Lillady

Post by Lillady »

Just noticed these, thank you so much. These are excellent resources many of us (including myself) can use!
Kassandra

Addiction Recovery Programs for Pagans

Post by Kassandra »

Cool, glad it helps. I am also re-posting the following info here (the original is in the Metaphysical Basics forum, but it seems like it should go here too, so here it is). It is recovery resources for people who can't relate to the often-used Judeo/Christian language and approach common to many recovery programs, and prefer a more pagan approach.

Many Pagans are uncomfortable with traditional twelve-step meetings because of the use of Christian prayers, the difficulty in finding supportive sponsors, the assumption that a person's Higher Power is male, etc. Some Pagans find the 12 steps themselves too reminiscent of Christian theology [i.e., too "Ten Commandments"-like]to be applicable to their belief systems. Pagans have been "ousted from A.A. meetings or shunned" when members of that A.A. group discovered that they were Pagans. However this type of conduct would not be approved by A.A. itself as any person who "has a desire to stop drinking" may declare themselves a member of A.A.

In 1992, Dr Charlotte Kasl, an addiction counselor and author, and past member of Alcoholics Anonymous published a book titled, Many Roads, One Journey: Moving Beyond the 12 Steps, a work which has greatly influenced the Pagan Recovery Movement. In her book, Dr. Kasl notes that Bill W., Dr. Bob and the other men who helped them put together the A.A. program and the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous all came from similar backgrounds, they were all privileged, white males who wrote the bulk of these influential works in the middle of the 20th century.

Kasl argues, the focus of the traditional recovery movement is rooted in a white, middle class, heterosexual mindset, steeped in the teachings of Abrahamic religions and greatly influenced by the conservative U.S. culture of the 1950's. She claims that the well meaning but patriarchal attitudes inherent within the program, coupled with Judeo/Christian teachings which focus strongly (some say exclusively) on guilt and shame are deeply problematic for many who attempt to find a place at 12 Step meetings. She also points out that while the program is held to be perfect, Kasl's own viewpoint is that the A.A. program is simply a guideline...

Read the full Wiki article here: Pagans in Recovery

Helpful related links:

* Pagans in Recovery Message Board

* Nine Step Pagans

* The Spiral Steps

* Pagan ODAT group for compulsive eaters

* a Wiccan 13 step path

Kassandra

Help Transitioning from Military to Civilian Life

Post by Kassandra »

A member suggested some resources for another member who has a spouse transitioning from military into civilian life, which can be a really rough time for everyone involved. She wrote:

"You could contact your local American Legion there will be men there who have been through this and could help. They not only loose their job but many friends since people he has worked with are staying in or going home. Also the VA may have services or groups for not only depression but vocational services. He can join the Legion now even."

She also suggested the website below, and I have included the site's intro text, and listed the topics covered on the site, just as an fyi. These are excellent suggestions, and I hope they help those who may need them.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Whether you're planning to separate at the end of this enlistment, you're returning to civilian life after duty with the Guard or Reserve, or you're approaching retirement after a long military career, you have much to think about and many choices to make. Use these articles and resources to help you find out what you need to know to make the right decisions for your future. http://www.militaryonesource.mil/phases-retiring

Topics covered on the website include:

Preparing for a Civilian Career
Developing Skills You Can Use Outside the Military
The Troops to Teachers Program
Transferring your Occupational License or Certification

Transition Planning
Armed Forces Retirement Homes
Deciding Where to Live When You Leave the Military
Military Families in Transition (eTraining)
Retiring From the Military
Transition Assistance Programs for Military Personnel

Deactivating after Guard or Reserve Duty
Adjusting to Civilian Life after Combat Duty with the Guard or Reserve
ESGR Employer Resource Guide (PDF)
Separating from the Military as an Active Duty Reservist
The Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act

Your Job Search
Creating Your Federal Resume
Federal Civil Service Employment for Transitioning Service Members
Foreign Service Careers for Transitioning Service Members
Interviewing for a Civilian Job
Searching for a Civilian Job

Department of Veterans Affairs Benefits
Overview of VA Benefits
VA Benefits for Disabled Veterans and Service Members
VA Benefits for National Guard and Reserve Members
VA Benefits for Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation New Dawn Transitioning Service Members

Wounded Warriors
Preparing to Enter the Work Force After a Severe Injury
Wounded Warrior
Wounded Warrior Programs

Return to “Healing and Energy Work”