Disgust by water

Talk, spells, rituals, and questions about the four elements.
Sammy

Disgust by water

Post by Sammy »

I have a problem concerning water. I basically don't like it. By that I don't mean I hate taking showers, in fact I love them and baths too, what I mean is I don't like rivers, lakes, the sea, even pools. I haven't gone swimming for about 6 years now. The mere thought of dipping my hand in a lake makes me squirm.

The ironic part is when I was camping with the scouts, we had to gather water from a nearby lake. We didn't need a lot of it so we were using plastic water bottles. Frankly I had a feeling like I was going to throw up, because to fill the bottle you had to submerge it completely meaning my hand had to touch the water. All I kept saying in my head was don't faint over and over again. I was scared and I don't know of what. I was so disgusted by the fact that my hand touched the lake water I kept the hand away from my body the whole trip back to camp (which was about 10 minutes away). When we got back the first thing I did was wash my hand which is in my opinion pretty ironic. The lake water was crystal clean but still I felt the need to wash the invisible dirt from my hands.

I love the sight of water, but I admire it from afar. If I get to close I get the urge to back away unless I mentally prepared myself to get closer. I'm not saying that I freak out every time I'm near a large body of water, I just don't feel comfortable. I tend to not show fear around people so I just pretend that I don't like the water because it's full of germs or polluted or in the case of pools, people pee in them.

Some people don't know about this...well only 2 people know this, my best friend and the scoutmaster. I don't want to tell some people because either I'm ashamed, I know they'd make fun of me or they could use it against me.

Some friends from scouts made fun of me that I'm a man because I didn't want to go swimming with them so they thought that I don't want to dress into my swimming suit because then they could "see" that I'm not a woman (which I am), the other thing being I'm light skinned and I sunburn easily, literally, 20 minutes in the sun and I'm already red. I could tell them they're wrong and make them stop but it's easier to deny a roomer that you know is a lie than to tell the truth and be pitied. I don't like sympathy. The rumor didn't hurt me at all so I didn't see a point in proving them wrong.

The only thing that bothers me is the fact I don't know why I dislike water so much. Could it be something from the past like a traumatic experience that I buried in my subconsciousness or something else?
AutumnMaidens

Re: Disgust by water

Post by AutumnMaidens »

This could very well be because of a traumatic experience you had in a past life. Did nothing happen in this life? It sounds to me like you have a phobia for the germs in the water rather than water itself. I have this too, I can't go to the beach or swim in lakes, any water that doesn't come from the tap makes me nervous.
Do you feel nervous on boats? I don't anymore and I can now walk barefoot on the beach and not jump away everytime water comes near me.

For me I think it might have to do with my past life also because nothing particulair traumatic happened in this life that would explain it.
"If you take a copy of the Christian Bible and put it out in the wind and the rain,
soon the paper on which the words are printed will disintegrate and the words will be gone.
Our bible IS the wind and the rain."
Kei Kawazu

Post by Kei Kawazu »

maybe its like an extension of germophobia.
Sammy

Post by Sammy »

Could be Autumn, at first I thought it was just a phobia of water but now that you mention it, it could a fear of germs, nothing traumatic happened to me in this life that is related to water, at least not that I know of, but there is a lot of my childhood that I don't remember. And my parents seem oblivious to my phobia so they sure don't know, I just avoid the water so they don't really know I don't like water.
I don't feel anxious on boats, I've spent a total of about 48 hours on one for a pre-graduation trip to Greece and didn't panic at all, I just had a "I don't care" attitude.

Perhaps Kei, I'll have to check into it further and thank you both :D

Return to “The Elements - Earth, Fire, Air, and Water”