Welcome, GFAJ-1

UFO's, extraterrestrials, abductions, the Universe, planets, stars, galaxies, black holes, white holes, wormholes, and everything beyond.
Traumwandlerin

Welcome, GFAJ-1

Post by Traumwandlerin »

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/universe/fea ... mical.html

We've found a different form of life on this planet. Don't get too exited. It's orgin is this planet and waaaaaaaaaaaay back it's even related to us. But in one point it's different thatn any other species on this planet. We all live on phosphor, arsen is highly toxic for us. This lifeform can exchange it's phosphor for arsen. It's not toic for it, it can even live on it and make itself ut of it.

Happy BIrthday, GFAJ-1

And think of the consequences to the Drake equation :D The chance of extraterrestial life just increased highly.
shadowx
Banned Member

Re: Welcome, GFAJ-1

Post by shadowx »

The chance of ET life is 1 ;) Shame not everyone else agrees eh!

It is an interesting discovery but at the same time plenty of scientists have known for a long time that the "essential ingredients" for life just arent essential. Life can survive without water, sunlight, heat, atmosphere and food. Granted some of the life becomes dormant, i cant remember the species in question but there are life forms which can "hibernate" through drought, extreme cold (minus degrees and in solid ice), the vacuum of space, extreme radiation and lack of food, and these bacteria and micro organisms can stay this way for, it seems, a very long time.

I think we need to realise that life on earth IS unique, but it isnt alone. Every world will have different environments but that doesnt mean life cant exist there.

On a related note another group of scientists discovered lots more red (or was it brown...) dwarves, tripling the potential number of stars in the universe and since if a planet is close enough to such a dim star it can be in the goldilocks zone that means an increase in the number of habitable planets that could exist, couple that with this new bacteria and the universe looks full of life!
Traumwandlerin

Post by Traumwandlerin »

The point is: You can make a lot of theories, but now you've got a proof for them ;)
shadowx
Banned Member

Post by shadowx »

Well... It isnt proof as such, but it certainly adds weight to the "Yup, there is ET out there" argument. The only proof will be when we send a decent probe to mars and find bacteria, living or dead. It is almost certainly there and once we find it then we will truly know.
Traumwandlerin

Post by Traumwandlerin »

Uhm, I meant a proof for the theories that life doesn't need to be based on phosphor. For nothing else. ^^
Traumwandlerin

Post by Traumwandlerin »

*sighs* I always thought that the NASA is more interested in politics than in proper research and the development of knowledge. Yeah, I really do hate the NASA for many reasons. Reading this article just made me sad to be fooled by the NASA. Of course, maybe it's still all true, but obviously even if their conclusions are right, they didn't proof anything, cause they didn't use scientific methods.

Return to “Beyond the Earth”