Candle divination

For discussion and questions about divination techniques including runes, crystal ball gazing, psychic readings, dowsing, etc. Questions, answers, and talk about Divination.
phoenixfiress

Candle divination

Post by phoenixfiress »

Hi everyone. I'm new to the boards, and thought I'd make an introduction by sharing a divination technique that has worked well for me in the past. Maybe it could work for someone else. If it's not your cup of tea as far as divining, it happens to be a great way to just relax and meditate. It's actually the only meditation technique which has worked for me, but allow me to move on before I become too incredibly long winded:

Sit in a dark room with a candle in front of you (the color of the candle is entirely up to you and your own personal energies). It could be scented or unscented (I've never actually tried a scented candle myself. Might be interesting; add a new dynamic). The important thing is the flame, though. Focus upon the flame for a long while, as long as you need. Become entranced by its movement (it's dance, if you will). Then, close your eyes, and place your hands over them for good measure. Hold on to the image of the flame. It will stay in your retinal memory for a short while anyway, hold onto it as long as you can until the image is taken over by your mind. Focus on this image, allow it to take on a life of its own, and let the images flow.

Hope this is helpful to someone. It's one of the best focusing exercises I've found.

-phoenixfiress
being-singular-plural

Post by being-singular-plural »

Welcome phoenixfiress,

Thanks for the well written suggestions. I love playing with candle light in ways similar to your suggestion. You are obviosuly an experienced meditator and I would love to hear more of your advice! I hope that you enjoy your time here. Thanks for coming!

Blessings,
bsp
Wolf*

Post by Wolf* »

I've accually done this before to meditate. It works really well for me. Its just a hassel when I stay "tranced" longer than I entended and end up with a huge pile of melted wax on the floor. lol
---Wolf---

"And a godlike man--a man who is pure force--inaccessible to any compromise--is called a hero."
Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Post by Starwitch »

My husband builds us bonfires a few nights a week, so I will try it there.

Orion

Post by Orion »

I ran into staying in trances too long, so I typically have some sort of alarm nearby. And in case if get too relaxed and fall asleep *whistles innocently*

But this sounds interesting, I'll have to give it a try when I get a chance,
Thanks!
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods." -Einstein

There are always facts, the best most of us can do is try to continuously adjust our opinions to become closer to those facts. For that, there is Science and Philosophy. One to argue facts and one to argue opinions. The result: The big bang is some sort of sexual innuendo resulting from your subconscious.
phoenixfiress

Post by phoenixfiress »

Hope it works out for you guys. Maybe you can move beyond the meditation state (which is about as far as I have gotten), and can find a divinatory use for it. Best of luck to all of you. By the way, , the bonfire thing sounds like such a great idea, an even larger canvass.

-phoenixfiress
Tigerlily*

Post by Tigerlily* »

MM and thanks for sharing!!

I am goingto give it a try!!

Blessings!!!

Tigerlily
willow_witch

Post by willow_witch »

heyhey all! that sounds great when i get time i shall def try it!!
~willow~

*blessed be*
~Merry meet, Merry part, til we Merry meet again~
GenevieveDawn

Post by GenevieveDawn »

Your spirit guides will often "converse" you through the flame. Similar concepts as the pendulum. The candle flame will do different things to reveal your answer. This works good for me, thought it may help someone else as well.
...magic consists of removing the limitations from what we think are the earthly and spiritual laws that bind or compel us. We can be anything because we are ALL. - Mary Greer
being-singular-plural

Hi Gen,

I love gazing into flames and I do see it speak, but how do you use it to answer questions? I know that with a pendulum and it swings horizontal I think the answer is "no" and vertical "yes"--but what movements of the flame indicate this for you?

Light,
bsp
hedge*

Post by hedge* »

Hi phoenixfiress, welcome to the site :D

I have not tried divining with this method, but when I first started meditating, this was one of the first exercises I did. It is very effective and a great way to start training with visualisation techniques.

hedge
GenevieveDawn

Post by GenevieveDawn »

Well for something like yes or no questions I ask the spirit what is a yes answer. The flame will generally leap very high and stay there for a few seconds to a minute. Sometimes the flame will move to the left or to the right. When it starts leap a lot and sputter I know that I'm asking something I shouldn't. When my flame burns low, like it's going to go out I know that my time is done. At least that's how it generally works for me, it may be different for everyone.
...magic consists of removing the limitations from what we think are the earthly and spiritual laws that bind or compel us. We can be anything because we are ALL. - Mary Greer
being-singular-plural

Cool! Thanks Genevieve!

Light and Peace,

bsp
moonwitch*

Post by moonwitch* »

Thanks for the suggestion.... I have been trying to learn to meditate.. this will help..thanks again!
Moon Witch
phoenixfiress

Post by phoenixfiress »

You're very welcome. I certainly hope it's helpful.

-phoenixfiress

Return to “General Divination”