the wicker man

Paganism, witchcraft, and Wicca as portrayed on TV, movies, and popular culture. Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, Practical Magic, etc. If you know of a good show or movie, you can recommend it here or discuss it with others.
Moon_Stone

Post by Moon_Stone »

Greymalkin,
Being a follower of love and light by no means infers that the person is denying the existence of the darker side of life, just that they choose not to go down that road... which is totally and completely fine. Just as you choose to balance yourself between the two, -for you- that is also totally fine. Bear in mind that your opinion is not the only correct opinion, even if it is correct for you.

In addition, Neo-Paganism is not practiced in the same manner as traditional paganism; to assume that the Wiccans and Pagans you meet in today's world are "fluffy bunnies" because they follow a more 'Neo' path than you do, is honestly quite asinine.

Everyone's opinion is valued here; yours included- but if you are asserting that a great deal of the forum members are worthless and pathetic "fluffy bunnies" in your eyes, perhaps you should keep that opinion to yourself or find another board that is more to your liking.

~Bright Blessings~
*MoonStone
Greymalkin
Banned Member

Post by Greymalkin »

I don't recall using the words 'worthless and pathetic' at any time. If I did that's certainly not what I meant and I apologise unreservedly.

You've hit the nail right on the head though. I have so many fluffies telling me that I'm 'wrong' because I walk a darker path - they just don't get it that they are wrong by telling me I'm wrong.

I'm happier in the dark. For me night time is more powerful than day time, I have more energy in the darker half of the year. At a dark moon I am tingling with life at a full moon I don't have enough energy to blow out a candle.

Too many neos today are too heavily influenced by authors such as Scott Cunningham and Marian Green. While they are great authors the people who read their books almost seem to have lost the ability to think for themselves, almost to the point where unless it's written in one of their books it's not valid.

I had the good fortune to interview Ray Buckland last year. He was a very charming man and even he said that the 'harm none' rule was always meant to be taken as general advice rather than a hard and fast rule.

I work with the darker aspects most of the time, and let me tell you that not everything can be solved with love and light. Sometimes you have to fight fire with fire.

I'm not here to call or judge anybody as 'worthless' or 'pathetic', to each their own. I'm also not here to insult anybody or in any way belittle anyone's way of life.
But if people ask me a question I will respond with MY honest opinion.

If others want to take offence at what I say I see that as their problem - not mine.
Granamyr

Post by Granamyr »

In addition, Neo-Paganism is not practiced in the same manner as traditional paganism; to assume that the Wiccans and Pagans you meet in today's world are "fluffy bunnies" because they follow a more 'Neo' path than you do, is honestly quite asinine.
Well said. I don't think many get that Neo-Pagan does not equal New Age.

And let's not make the mistake of thinking dark=bad, light=good. It's simply about energy. Intent is what matters.

Scott C and Marian G may not be your cup of tea, GM and I respect that. But, they've been around the block and are respected as good tools by most people and not fluff. You yourself may have advanced to a higher place or level of magickal work and deserve credit. But remember from whence you came, friend. Instead of tossing around terms like "fluffy bunny" why don't you focus your energies on direction, encouragement and instruction? Just a thought.
Greymalkin
Banned Member

Post by Greymalkin »

Let's not get carried away here, I have nothing against people who walk the lighter path, some of my closest friends are "fluffy bunnies" and when I work with them the energy is incredible, it's like we balance each other out.

Yes of course I started off as a bit of a fluffy myself but for some reason I continually seemed to be pulled down a darker path.

I seem to have more of an effect when asked to help people with getting rid of a bothersome spirit or get rid of a curse - yet when I'm asked to give healing or some other 'light' work I never seem to make much of a difference.

We all have different talents and different things we're good at and the key is knowing what those talents are and using to benefit yourself and others.

The only thing I agree with the christians on is the saying; "Know Thyself". And we should, whatever than 'self' may be.
Granamyr

Post by Granamyr »

Except, "Know thyself" came from the Temple of Apollo! :)

But yes, I know what you're saying. You have your niche and that's a good thing.
Greymalkin
Banned Member

Post by Greymalkin »

Granamyr wrote:Except, "Know thyself" came from the Temple of Apollo!
Let's just add it to the list of things that the christians stole from other religions and call it quits.
Moon_Stone

Post by Moon_Stone »

You are correct, Greymalkin- you never did use those specific word choices, so no apology for that needed-- I was speaking of what was perceived when you referenced "F.B.'s" ...I didn't intend to offend you either, so I apologize if that was the effect.

I am a little curious though- you mentioned that you are proficient at getting rid of a bothersome spirit or lifting curses-- though I'd certainly not call that type of magic work 'dark' by any definition (yet you do). Perhaps the "light and dark" you're referencing is something completely subjected to one's own personal conjecture- though I certainly don't think that lifting, removing and cleansing is dark magic. (Sacrifice, on the other hand, seems not only dismal and unnecessary, but also archaic- in my opinion.)
Religious practices evolve, just as the humans who utilize them do. :wink:

~Bright Blessings to you~
*MoonStone
Greymalkin
Banned Member

Post by Greymalkin »

You're absolutely right, clearing things like that aren't in themselves 'dark', what I meant to say was some of the methods I use are, shall we say, unconventonal.

I don't put all the "rules" on myself that a typical lightworker would.

If I see a problem I find a way of dealing with it as quickly and efficiently as possible - even if that means a few fingers get burned.

Sometimes the only option is to fight fire with fire.
Peregrine

Post by Peregrine »

Granamyr wrote:sacrifice didn't always mean *blood* sacrifice. Cereal offerings, oil and fruits were very common as well and perhaps more so than blood offerings as plants and grains were in much abundance compared to animals which were expensive to buy and costly to raise for your average person.
I read somewhere that sometimes ancient Egyptians used to offer beer as a sacrifice. For my husband, who loves his Budweiser, that would be giving until it hurts.

Return to “Witchcraft and Wicca in the Media”