Which tarot deck do you like?

For discussion and questions about the tarot.
love beats all (;

Re: Which tarot deck do you like?

Post by love beats all (; »

I'm absolutely in love with my Tarot of a Moon Garden Deck (: It's full of pagan symbolism, like how each card has a moon with a waxing, full, or waning phase to help you with interpretation. I don't read reversals but when the card is reversed the moon phase reverses as well which I find pretty neat. The nighttime scenery is whimsical without being too sickening sweet, IMO. It was an easy deck to began with considering It's largely RWS based, but there are a lot of pips with no human characters to help convey their meaning.
A deck that I've been pining to buy but just don't have the finances for at this point is The Wild Unknown Tarot by Kim Krans. It's chocked full of beautiful imagery of natural Flora and Fauna etched mostly in monochrome, but with brilliant sparing use of vivid color...if only I had the $40 to blow lol

Tarot of a Moon Garden

The Wild Unknown Tarot
tarot1.jpg
Jade Rose

Post by Jade Rose »

syngerin wrote:Up until now I've used one deck only, Shadowscapes. It' strange because I've been thinking about getting another deck, but I don't feel attracted to others yet. I guess I have pretty fallen in love with Shadowscapes:) I am a very visual person, so its images help me a lot when doing a reading, especially those which at first look obscure or not quite related to the original question. It was quite difficult at the beginning because of all the symbols, but now we too have bonded and I believe that I will always use this one, at least for personal matters.

But I have to say that the Tyldwick Tarot looks pretty intriguing:)...
I agree with you! I think I've fallen in love with Shadowscapes too, I use it the most while the others not so much. It's just so airy and beautiful, also it gives me hope I feel.

The Tyldwick Tarot looks great, but I haven't used it for divination much. I think I only wanted to get it to be a part of my collection, that might change soon though. ;)
starlady

Post by starlady »

i use the ryder waite radiant cards,but only since last summer,done a course on tarot,but im just getting the basic card meanings at momment, so they are my first pack,im also got the psychic cosmic oracle cards?my pendalums told me i will b able to read them better?so im doing readings just on me for now,so i can get used to the pictures,odd things do pop out at me?but they have numbers and signs too ,i cleanse my cards with white-sage cones,cystals etc,
MistressOfTheMoon

Post by MistressOfTheMoon »

I work with the Zombie Tarot Deck. It's gorgeous and I'm a huge zombie fan. So yeah :-D
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401020943.889634.jpg
Before this, I used to work with my Esoteric Deck although I limited myself to the Major Arcana since the pip cards were not illustrated, unlike this Zombie Deck.

Also use a Rider-Waite deck but only for studying :)
"For the Spirit lies within."
~ Ada S.
Seraphin
Location: EUTM's dungeon, keeping a dragon egg in a pot over a fireplace!

Post by Seraphin »

I want to get another copy of the Marsielles deck, after giving mine away.

I also want the Medieval Scapini deck. I saw it and it's great.

There is another italian medieval, the Minchiate Tarot that is very good, it includes cards for the zodiac and extra cards in the major arcana. Its not the easiest to read with though, and certainly not a beginners deck.

New Vision Tarot (which is another of my favorites) which has taken each card in the Rider Waite deck and rotated the view 180 degrees, for instance the magician:

The BOTA deck is also very good which has the images in black and white for you to colour in yourself (which reminds me I should add that back onto my list of projects I believe I was up to the hermit).
Seraphin

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.
MistressOfTheMoon

Post by MistressOfTheMoon »

Seraphin wrote:New Vision Tarot (which is another of my favorites) which has taken each card in the Rider Waite deck and rotated the view 180 degrees, for instance the magician:

Oh this looks like an interesting deck!
"For the Spirit lies within."
~ Ada S.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

I am quite taken with the Shadowscapes tarot deck:

I love the pastel coloring and the ethereal world it shows ... It also has a fascinating combination of Eastern and Western imagery (plus, both she and I are Chinese-American!)

Thanks to Alura for suggesting it to me ages ago!
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
ad0rium

Post by ad0rium »

I have the Tarot of The Sweet Twilight cards - these were the second set I bought (the first set I had were a really basic set and really massive..) Took me ages to find a set I really liked and I came across these on eBay and love them.

Sorry about the picture quality.. I did have a scan of a few of the cards somewhere that I used as part of research in an art project but no idea where it is :(
Moonfire

Post by Moonfire »

I'm a bit biased but I am in love with my own deck Revelations by Zach Wong
The Moon

The Star

The Tower

These are my favorite cards~ <3
The_Reclining_Reader

Post by The_Reclining_Reader »

While I have no problem with either the Rider-Waite or Golden Dawn decks (I've read with both), there's no question my favorite is the Thoth deck. The imagery is amazing, and the cards said to me, "Study more, and discover what we mean." This deck pulled me out of a rut and deepened my knowledge of not only Magic, but, more importantly, myself.
The Reclining Reader
Media Reviews and Tarot
Floyd Pinkerton

Post by Floyd Pinkerton »

I just bought a deck called the Cat People Tarot/Tarot of the Cat People (I saw it under both names on two different sites). I can't wait for them to get here.

Do we have a thread on how to use tarot cards? I saw the one on how to bond with your cards but not on how to use them properly. I don't always trust other websites on how-to stuff.
The_Reclining_Reader

Floyd Pinkerton wrote:I just bought a deck called the Cat People Tarot/Tarot of the Cat People (I saw it under both names on two different sites). I can't wait for them to get here.

Do we have a thread on how to use tarot cards? I saw the one on how to bond with your cards but not on how to use them properly. I don't always trust other websites on how-to stuff.
I would recommend that you check here: http://www.themagicknook.com/ebooks/divination.html. It's got a great selection of free books. For basics, go with A.E. Waite and Paul Foster Case, and then Crowley's Book of Thoth for more advanced study. All three are on that site.

As far as a thread here, we may never see one. People read the cards in such vastly different, almost completely intuitive ways, that trying to explain anything more than the basics (which, again, you can get from the books on the site above) would require much more than a thread.
The Reclining Reader
Media Reviews and Tarot
thethrone

Post by thethrone »

Fascinating decks, i am impressed of how many versions of Tarot deck there are out there...
Though i don't use Tarot now but i intend to study them...
I always prefer and feel more familiar with the Rider Waite deck.
Floyd Pinkerton

Post by Floyd Pinkerton »

The_Reclining_Reader wrote:
Floyd Pinkerton wrote:I just bought a deck called the Cat People Tarot/Tarot of the Cat People (I saw it under both names on two different sites). I can't wait for them to get here.

I would recommend that you check here: http://www.themagicknook.com/ebooks/divination.html. It's got a great selection of free books. For basics, go with A.E. Waite and Paul Foster Case, and then Crowley's Book of Thoth for more advanced study. All three are on that site.

As far as a thread here, we may never see one. People read the cards in such vastly different, almost completely intuitive ways, that trying to explain anything more than the basics (which, again, you can get from the books on the site above) would require much more than a thread.
Now, the meanings Waite has written in that book; are those the real meanings or can cards be interpreted multiple ways? I'm finding different divination meanings to the same cards from different sources.
The_Reclining_Reader

Floyd Pinkerton wrote:
The_Reclining_Reader wrote:

Now, the meanings Waite has written in that book; are those the real meanings or can cards be interpreted multiple ways? I'm finding different divination meanings to the same cards from different sources.
Hmmm, now that's a tricky question. I obviously haven't checked every deck, but I've found that most I've seen at least use Waite's interpretations as baseline. They were the standard Golden Dwan interpretations after all. Basically, the newer the deck of cards, the less based on Waite's interpretations they are, because intuitive readings are now seen as a better way to go than traditional meanings. Raymond Buckland had some pretty good advice. It boils down to: read and form a baseline around the traditional meanings, then go with what your intuition tells you about the cards when you're actually doing a reading.

So, to answer your question. Are they the question "real" meanings? Yes and no. Yes for Waite, maybe no for.you.
The Reclining Reader
Media Reviews and Tarot

Return to “Tarot Talk”