how do i tell my parents?

Teenagers are a special bunch with concerns different than adults. Teens can chat with each other here and learn from one another.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

I have left home, I'm currently living in a college dorm. I'm not so worried so much about my parents, as my fiancee's parents. If they knew I wouldn't be very surprised if they tried to seperate us. I would know they'd think I'm nuts, which is funny because Melissa can do the same thing I can. She just hasn't told them.

Pretty much they tend to think anyone that is too different from them have something mentally wrong with them. They are of the opinion that anyone that is gay or bi has a mental defect, and ironically Melissa is bi.
A_light_on_the_water

Post by A_light_on_the_water »

my mom, who is very open minded, still thinks the occult has to do with evil, despite me telling her otherwise. You mine as well tell them. i don't see any reason why you shouldn't stand up for yourself.
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

Well, you know, in a way she's right. As with any tool evil things can be done with it.

Anything that has any relation with a human has the potential to be evil. It's up to the person to make the right choices.
A_light_on_the_water

I'm aware of that. just how like I'm aware that many christian pastors are child molesters... I don't really care what she thinks of it.. But it would be nice if she could explore things for herself.
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

I agree with you, I was just making sure that you see her point as well. Though while she does have a valid point (and these days it's pretty scary for a parent to wonder how much nastiness is influencing her kids) she should try to talk to you rather than judge you.
A_light_on_the_water

you're right. Although she should stop worrying, I am 17 =P

So tell m about you.

I would ask what you're into, but we're talking on a pagan forum. >_>

Do you consider yourself a pagan?
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

I'm definately a pagan. I'm learning the Wiccan path right now, though I have a few touches of taoism tossed in. It sort of makes sense, to me anyway.

I'll update my intro post on the 'Introduce yourself' forum so we can keep on topic here, k? I'm just getting off work so I'll have it in sometime this evening.
XWynterXoXPriestessX

Post by XWynterXoXPriestessX »

interesting indeed. and dont worry, love, I was in your spot at one time. Some teen witches believe in obeying their parents orders when their parents say: "NO WITCHCRAFT!" (i was NOT one of those who obeyed) :lol: But some parents are more open and willing to listen, others are determined to have nothing to do with it. But no matter what they do, bear in mind, hun, these are YOUR sacred beleifs. and no one can take it from you. they may take your books and tools and destroy them like they did me, but they can never take and change how you feel in your mind and heart....... wow.....i said something positive......... :D
)o( My heart belongs to you, Captain Sereph Gurd Akil)o(
Your eyes are my paradise, your smile makes my sunrise.
occulture

Post by occulture »

I was kind of sneaky about it myself. My mother and I used to talk about the bible a lot and I would ask her things like do you beleive in ghosts and do you think people really get possessed. Just all sorts of things about religion in general. She was a bible school teacher, we went to church every time the doors open yada yada yada. One day I think around 15? Freshman year in high school I came home with a little paperback book called Celtic Magic by DJ Conway a girl at school had given me. My mom was always into things like ancestory and anything to do with the Celts or the Welsh so she read it. At the time I treated it like just some odd thing I had found and played like I wasn't really interested in it myself but by the time she finished the book (probably two days) she was suddenly talking to me about a Tarot deck she had when she was younger and if I had ever known anything about my Welsh heritage. A few years later and she is having drum circles in the garage with her witch buddies and doing readings for my friends. My advice is to sneak it in as if its not something you are really sold on yet and see how your parents react. If they freak out you have given yourself room to keep it in the closet and if they are open at all to it get them to read a thin light book like Celtic Magic and see what they think.

Here is a link to the book.

http://www.llewellyn.com/bookstore/book.php?pn=L136
moonchild

Post by moonchild »

I'm afraid to death of what my parents will do if they ever find out... i have been force to got to church for my whole life.. but just in the last 6 months my parents have been critising the way i dress, my friends and my music. if they all agro over those little things, what do you think they'll do when they find out that i no longer follow their beleifs... i'm hoping that if i tell them that i am soul searching that they will back off.
kgwitch

Post by kgwitch »

Well, I suppose every situation is different.
My parents are absolutely okay with it. They're both Christians, but they accept the fact that I want my own path and not their's. So they're fine with it... thankfully!¬ :)
Wolf Heart

Post by Wolf Heart »

I've never told my parents I'm into witchcraft, my dad would flip. I don't think they'd get all mad and like disown me or anything, but I think it would hurt them. They don't understand it and so they'd be scared for me, so I understand their point of view on it.
They know I'm not christian, so that's a step forward. When my dad gets on a disscussion of religion I just tell him that I do believe in God in a way and that I still hold true to doing only good and helping others, that I just don't agree with the way Christianity handles things. This seems to work pretty well, it at least assures him I don't worship satan or anything. They also know I'm into the more "supernatural" things in the world. My mom is to, she loves anything to do with ghosts and such, so they don't find that strange at all.

Maybe someday I'll tell them, but as of now I'm not too sure exactly what I am, so until I do, what I've told them will suffice.

I would suggest not telling your parents if you feel they will completely freak out on you. When I first got into wicca I would get wiccan books from the library but I would also get books on many other religions and just say I was curious and studying all different types. If you feel you must tell them, be prepared for a back lash. But like the statements before me, just because they take your "stuff" away, they can't take away your beliefs.
~*People fear the beast within the wolf because they do not understand the beast within themselves.*~
Scarlett Manson

Post by Scarlett Manson »

Ive been keeping this a secret from my family( except my cousin who is also into witchcraft), but they are very religious and my cousin's parents are hardcore cristians. I'm trying everything so that I wont have to tell them, but I think my mom suspects me already.
When anything happens between me and my mother she tells everyone in the family(and I mean EVERYONE) and it would be really bad if everyone found out my cousin was like me because of her parents. I really need help so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Shaman of Bliss
Banned Member

Post by Shaman of Bliss »

old thread >.<
Scarlett Manson

Post by Scarlett Manson »

I just dont know what to do. when I started my so called "Goth phase" they treated me like I was some kind of disease because my sister started into the so called "phase" as well. I just cant imagine how they might react if they absolutely knew I didnt have the same beliefs. But I never know how my mom will react to anything, so she could be completely understanding, or she could disown me. Most likely leaning toward the second one, but I just dont know. But im sure the rest of my familly would totally freak.

Return to “Teen Concerns”