Marijuana and Wiccans

Discussion of nature and nature spirits and dragons.
corvidus

Re: Marijuana and Wiccans

Post by corvidus »

The only time I use cannabis nowadays is during music concerts. I like to smoke it and trance out to the music. I respect it a lot more these days then I used to (in high school/college).

Maybe I should try it while drumming or rattling ;)

On a political side-note. Montana is petitioning to legalize marijuana recreationally, with the first $40 million dollars in taxes going to our public school systems.
I think something like this I totally worth it... Until I remember what the education system in general is like...
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I tried edibles for my fibromyalgia after Colorado legalized it. It didn't help me, so I didn't pursue it as a treatment. I was very grateful to have the option of trying it though.

The Federal Government currently lists it as a schedule I controlled substance, which means that according to D.C., it's highly addictive and has no recognized medicinal use. Alcohol causes more deaths than marijuana. It's legal. Guns cause more deaths than marijuana. They're legal. James Holmes acquired his guns and ammunition legally, then shot up the theater five minutes from my home. Oxycontin is a schedule II prescription medication. It has a far higher addiction and death rate than marijuana. What's wrong with this picture? Okay, rant over.

Imperious, thank you for your post on this subject. You're spot on.

SnowCat
Daughter of Sekhmet
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

SnowCat wrote:What's wrong with this picture?
Marijuana will open your mind and allow you to think for yourself. None of those other things do that for you. It's not a war on drugs, it's a war on freedom.

But I don't support that opinion ;)
Clairsentient_Wolf

Post by Clairsentient_Wolf »

corvidus wrote:
SnowCat wrote:What's wrong with this picture?
Marijuana will open your mind and allow you to think for yourself. None of those other things do that for you. It's not a war on drugs, it's a war on freedom.

But I don't support that opinion ;)
As long as humans exist, there will always be a war on drugs. Pharmacies would much rather you purchase "legal" drugs that half of them don't even know the ingredients of than you finding your own medicinal ways outside of their store. "If the doctor approved it, then it must work". <<< The biggest lie ever told.

Pretty soon you start to have negative side effects from one med, so you tell your doctor about it bothering you - "Ok well we can fix that. Here, have another prescription!" Pretty soon you end up like I did when I was in middle school - 13 medications to take every single day and it really didn't do anything but make me into a living zombie and not give a literal shit about school. Everyone's in bed together - pharmacies, doctors, FAST FOOD - did you ever think of the fast food thing? We all know that it's bad for you but on occasion you feel that you have no choice but to make a pit stop.

Pretty soon, the MSG brings you back more often - you have a stroke, or heart attack God forbid annnnnd more medicines. That's the simplest way I can think of it.
Strong men run into battle and destroy their foes;
Wise men wait for their foes to destroy themselves.
dualhands

Post by dualhands »

I recently procured some CBD oil. ( no thc in the solution ) It provides a nice uplifting feeling, and great for calming the nerves/aches and pains.
diligentibus te dilectio qua dilexisti me , sic fiat
Clairsentient_Wolf

Post by Clairsentient_Wolf »

dualhands wrote:I recently procured some CBD oil. ( no thc in the solution ) It provides a nice uplifting feeling, and great for calming the nerves/aches and pains.
They just now legalized that here as well. They are aiming to use it for people who have epilepsy, like my brother. He is terrified that it has THC in it so he doesn't want to use it...I'm on the brink of buying it and slipping it in his drink or food. He is acting like a turd.
Strong men run into battle and destroy their foes;
Wise men wait for their foes to destroy themselves.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

corvidus wrote:Maybe I should try it while drumming or rattling
I concur, I have found it to be very trance inducing.
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

Clairsentient_Wolf wrote:
dualhands wrote:I recently procured some CBD oil. ( no thc in the solution ) It provides a nice uplifting feeling, and great for calming the nerves/aches and pains.
They just now legalized that here as well. They are aiming to use it for people who have epilepsy, like my brother. He is terrified that it has THC in it so he doesn't want to use it...I'm on the brink of buying it and slipping it in his drink or food. He is acting like a turd.
I don't think slipping it to your brother without his knowledge or permission is a good idea. It could be construed as assault, no matter how good your intentions are.

SnowCat
Daughter of Sekhmet
lunamoth

Post by lunamoth »

I do smoke occasionally and while I understand it's illegal, it is up to those that want to legalize it to push it through. I can say that personally I think it should be legal; alcohol is a far more harmful drug and it used to be illegal as well. So it is up to the people to fight for the legalization . And yes I do feel that it's natural, given to us by the earth..
HopefulChild

Post by HopefulChild »

Howdy!

The information I present here is only applicable to Citizens of the United States, and individuals living in one of the 20 US States that have Passed their own, RFRA (Religious Freedom Restoration Act).

So 1993. Religious Freedom Restoration Act: Pub. L. No. 103-141, 107 Stat. 1488 (November 16, 1993) introduced by Congressman Chuck Schumer (D-NY).

Passed the House by an overwhelming voice vote May 1993, and the Senate by overwhelming vote October 1993.

This law required the Federal government, and Local governments applicable under derivative justification, - “Government shall not substantially burden a person’s exercise of religion even if the burden results from a rule of general applicability.”

So there are 20 states that adopted their own version of this. Instead of listing them, I'll link it, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_Rel ... ation_Acts.

What does this mean?

Strict Scrutiny must be applied by the governing body when applying a law to a situation where legitimate concern exists in limiting religious liberty and placing a burden on any individual or group based on a law rendered by general applicability.

So what does THAT mean? LOL.

Strict Scrutiny is a legal pretense that states that you must confine your interpretation of both the law and the situation down to the words that are used and what they mean implicitly and not implied.

A cheap but effective example being, "Thou shalt not kill".

Under strict Scrutiny, as a law, this applies universally. If you chop down a tree, you are now guilty of the exact action as an individual who took a knife and stabbed to death, another human. Strict Scrutiny says, you both killed something..so you are both guilty of the same thing.

That is strict scrutiny. There are no shades of gray, based on "intent" and "Subjective interpretation" in strict scrutiny.

Why is that a good thing? Because strict scrutiny is being applied to another statement that is uncommon in American Law, "Substantial Burden".

The concept of substantial burden is any activity that causes a burden on an individual or group in general applicability.

So, a law applied in general applicability, lets say for generic purposes, The Controlled Substances Act of 1970...this made Marijuana a schedule narcotic and made it illegal to possess or use without specific government approval.
Across the board this act demanded imprisonment and fines for possession.

Imprisonment and fines are flatly defined as a substantial burden by the Federal government as a disciplinary tool to be used in situations where individuals flagrantly break established laws.

So now let's say Bob gets arrested in 2015 in the State of Kentucky for Schedule 1 narcotics possession.
Bob is in court having his hearing and Bob's Lawyer makes a statement no one is expecting.

"Your Honor, under HB279 - 13RS of the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Kentucky, July 13'th 2014, the "Religious Freedom Restoration Act", the state has already placed an illegal and substantial burden on my client and his exercise of religious liberty as a Wiccan and we demand the state drop all charges and dismiss the case, where upon my client will be filing a civil suit against the state, county and local entities involved with unconstitutional deprivation of freedoms for the period he was held after arraignment, and for an unjust and illegal seizure of his property".

The reason that statement is important, is because Bob was smoking Marijuana, in his back yard. At his altar, when his neighbor smelled it, looked over the fence, and decided to call the cops for a "drug addict" using the drugs in public.

Bob isn't a drug addict. Bob is Wiccan. Bob was smoking cannabis to reach a state of meditative clarity to commune with his ancestors and nature, at his altar. His religious ceremony was interrupted by police and he was incarcerated.

ANY OTHER SITUATION OTHER THAN ONE EXACTLY LIKE THIS ONE is still a breaking of Federal, State, and local municipality law, and codes. OK...

Smoking a joint in your car on the way to a concert is not a religious practice. It isn't.
Sitting in the park with your friends smoking a joint, isn't communion unless you have requested and received an event license from your local municipality to hold a religious right in a public space. When you apply for that license, you will be sworn to give a statement punishable by perjury law that states you will NOT be using illegal substances during your religious ceremony.

If you state you intend to use controlled or prohibited substances like alcohol or marijuana, then look forward to your application being denied. At which point you appeal, and you get to take this same legal premise to court but on the concept of being denied something that places a substantial burden on your religious liberty.

One other thing to point out here.
If you PURCHASE marijuana in it's RAW form...just dried up plant matter, and you are transporting it home to be used exclusively for religious ceremonies, then the RFRA could still be applied to possession and transport.
But if it is already prepared to be used...in a bowl, rolled into a blunt, in a joint... Then you are in fact guilty of transporting a controlled substance in a re-sale form which doubles down on the crime as "intent to traffic"...which carries it's own mandatory sentencing guidelines besides the possession mandatory sentencing.

SO..what can we all take away from this?

The Federal government accidentally opened a window for scheduled substances to be used in religious rights. It's already been used by Native Americans for peyote, and Tribal South Americans living in the US, for Ayahausca tea.
You can't grow Ayahausca root in the US, so the Tribal peoples actually forced the US to give them a special license to import Ayahausca through customs into the US to be used at rituals.

So the precedent is already set, and has been used.

3 criteria you need to understand.

#1 - If you get caught transporting a controlled substance....you are going to go to jail. You can't argue with the police or agents... This information is only useful for your attorney to use DURING YOUR FEDERAL or LOCAL trial!
So...good luck with that.
#2 - If you are using the controlled substance in any situation other than an obvious religious ceremony, this defense will not work in any way shape or form.

#3 - You have to prove to a jury, that you are a wiccan, and that in your religion using natural herbs and remedies is a paramount and fundamental tenet of your belief system. If you are taking 5 different Dr. Prescribed medications, and you have DUI's and it can be proven you have or had a drug problem, this defense will not help you in any way. Any prior arrests or convictions for controlled substance possession, use, or abuse, will utterly nullify your ability to make a defense out of this information.

So... Just to be clear, there IS a way that you can use Marijuana as part of your Wiccan Religious Practice... But you have to do so in such a perfect way, that it would have to be a real Mission in your life to pull it off...
lizzel21

Post by lizzel21 »

So, the ethical and legal debate aside, I'm just curious if Marijuana has any magickal properties, I have found the magickal properties of hemp but I don't know that they would be the same? Anybody know?
T'a Nuk

Post by T'a Nuk »

Marijuana chock full o' magical goodness, and has spiritual uses virtually worldwide. Thankfully the racially inspired and obsolete laws regarding it's use in this country are slacking off. Soon we will have our entire natural pharmacy retuned to us without fear of incarceration. A quick reference to magickal properties can be read in Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs among other easily digested sources.
lizzel21

Post by lizzel21 »

Thanks T'a Nuk!
Yex

Post by Yex »

Clairsentient_Wolf wrote: As long as humans exist, there will always be a war on drugs.
I strongly disagree. Our current "war on drugs" is an extremely new development, historically speaking. Moreover the war on drugs is a product of capitalism, and capitalism inherently has a shelf-life. But even within the current system, with the way things are moving, I see cannabis (though probably not other illicit drugs) being legalized (within the US) soon (how soon is hard to tell, but in my lifetime, most likely). I read an interesting article a while back about the then-candidates for the Republican nomination and their stances on legalization. The vast majority of them - even the ones who were doing the best at the time, like Cruz and Trump - did not have hardline anti-legalization stances (their stance was more along the lines of it being a state by state issue). If that's the position of the right, I think that's a good indication of how things are going.
I've never tried pure CBD oil, but when I consume cannabis (almost always orally these days), I like to buy concentrates or edibles that have a little bit of THC, and then a much higher ratio of CBD. It gets me "stoned", but it's a much more clearheaded high, and has much less of the THC-associated anxiety that I often experience otherwise.
lizzel21 wrote:So, the ethical and legal debate aside, I'm just curious if Marijuana has any magickal properties, I have found the magickal properties of hemp but I don't know that they would be the same? Anybody know?
In 777, Crowley associated Cannabis with both Netzach (7) and Hod (8) on the Tree of Life. You can look at some of the associations with those spheres here. Additionally, cannabis is widely used in a number of historical and current magical traditions. In Shaivite Hinduism, hashish is sacred to Shiva, and cannabis is still used in India in contemporary Hinduism. I might also note that as a drug, cannabis has a strongly feminine energy - this is corroborated by biology (only the female plant is smoked), and is evident by the nature of the high.
love is the whole and more than all
lizzel21

Post by lizzel21 »

Thanks Yex! I look forward to reading into that!

Return to “Nature - Plants, Animals, Faeries, Dragons”