Christianity mixed with pagan rituals/spells

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
KjHendi

Christianity mixed with pagan rituals/spells

Post by KjHendi »

Hello All,

At this point in my journey I have performed a few spells with success, one was a partial success and have begun to perform a daily ritual at my altar. I've been working with tarot cards every day for the past while and gazing into my crystal ball for experimentation with some success. The tarot seems to be very relevent to my situations and have come true, and gazing into the crystal ball has given me a peacefulness I haven't experienced before.

My question is... are there any others who practice Christianity and embrace some pagan traditions or rituals? I'm studying Scott Cunninghams book on Wicca, but I would really like to not venture to far from my worship of Jesus.

I enjoy working spells, divination and the aspect of nature tied to pagan religions, but I'm afraid to delve to far without betraying my worship of Jesus. Does this make any sense?

Any help or direction would be very much appreciated.

Thanks all,

KjHendi
SnowCat
Banned Member

Re: Christianity mixed with pagan rituals/spells

Post by SnowCat »

I think if you want to incorporate an expanded spiritual practice into your relationship with the Nazarene, that can be done. It's really very individual.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
RyukaAscendant

Post by RyukaAscendant »

Quabal and the Sephiroth may help you. Also if you look out there there are lists of the angels you can invoke in place of pegan gods. If I may make a reading recommendation, Bill Whitcomb's "The Magicians Companion" can give you some great insights as well as is a great reference book when looking for more reading on particular subjects.
Child of Gaia; student of Athena, Odin, and Djehuty; and follower of the middle path.

Moderation in all things, including moderation.
Wolf

Post by Wolf »

The Keys of Solomon may also be good to look into.
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

Hi KjHendi!

In early Christianity, Jesus was considered a mage who used a magic wand. There are many ancient depictions of this such as this one:

There are many magical traditions using Christianity. Various folk Catholicism like brujeria/curendo in Mexico, Hoodoo of the U.S., and Pow wow which is Pennsylvania dutch magical system.

A friend of mine named Robert Phoenix is prominent in Christian esotericism. He wrote "The Powwow Grimoire" which you should be able to find on Amazon dirt cheap. It is written for Christians by a Christian and can get you started on your practice. It utilizes many of the same things Wicca does; herbs, moon phases, and positive magic. Please, check it out! Tell me what you think.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
Shawn Blackwolf
Banned Member

Post by Shawn Blackwolf »

And then , the next step...you see , it is all a Spiral , leading you to the beginning...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cwCIkKFFR4

So , your next step , could be :

Enochian Magic

Do some research on it...it is a vast subject...
moonraingirl

Post by moonraingirl »

Hi there, I have similar feelings as you do.
For me, the safest way is to use Jesus and Mary as your gods. I currently work mainly with Mary.
If you need specific "gods" to pray to, you can always search for "patron saint of..." and than pray to patrons of relationships, healing, pets, heck, there's even a patron saint of lost things :) That way, you get the psychological help knowing that you are praying to a "proffessional" in the area you need, but you stay in the safe area of Christianity.

I also highly recommend works of catholic mystics, such as Little Therese of Lisieux, Therese of Avilla, John of the Cross, Mister Eckhart, saint Hildegard.

Monks have traditionally worked with herbs, so this may be one of the possibilities, too.

here's a canticle of St Francis of Asissi:

Most High, all-powerful, all-good Lord, All praise is Yours, all glory, all honour and all blessings.

To you alone, Most High, do they belong, and no mortal lips are worthy to pronounce Your Name.

Praised be You my Lord with all Your creatures,
especially Sir Brother Sun,
Who is the day through whom You give us light.
And he is beautiful and radiant with great splendour,
Of You Most High, he bears the likeness.

Praised be You, my Lord, through Sister Moon and the stars,
In the heavens you have made them bright, precious and fair.

Praised be You, my Lord, through Brothers Wind and Air,
And fair and stormy, all weather's moods,
by which You cherish all that You have made.

Praised be You my Lord through Sister Water,
So useful, humble, precious and pure.

Praised be You my Lord through Brother Fire,
through whom You light the night and he is beautiful and playful and robust and strong.

Praised be You my Lord through our Sister,
Mother Earth
who sustains and governs us,
producing varied fruits with coloured flowers and herbs.
Praise be You my Lord through those who grant pardon for love of You and bear sickness and trial.

Blessed are those who endure in peace, By You Most High, they will be crowned.

Praised be You, my Lord through Sister Death,
from whom no-one living can escape. Woe to those who die in mortal sin! Blessed are they She finds doing Your Will.

No second death can do them harm. Praise and bless my Lord and give Him thanks,
And serve Him with great humility.
KjHendi

Post by KjHendi »

Thank you all SO very much. I can't explain how helpful this is and so many resources to look into. I'm glad you all were able to read my questions and know how to answer them in a way I could understand. These are some of the exact things I am looking for!

Bless you all! :surprisedwitch:
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Post by RosieMoonflower »

So great to see I'm not the only one straddling the fence here! These were all ready great suggestions to look into. One other that hasn't been mentioned yet is "Gnosticism". The gnostics are quite magical, and also mostly Christian. Good luck!

Rosie
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

Other things to look up is Hermeticism which sought to harmonize paganism and Christianity. It is also the origins of Western occultism.

Another is Trinitarian Wicca. Not sure if that's your thing. But interesting nonetheless.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”