Centranthus ruber Information

Discussion of nature and nature spirits and dragons.
Yex

Centranthus ruber Information

Post by Yex »

There are a bunch of flowers growing in front my house that I think I have identified as Centranthus ruber, known as red valerian or Jupiter's beard. I've detected a lot of fae activity around the flowers. I can't seem to find any information on magical properties of this plant. Any insight?
love is the whole and more than all
YanaKhan

Re: Centranthus ruber Information

Post by YanaKhan »

I couldn't find anything either. But since it's called Jupiter's beard, I would suggest protection from storms, causing rain, something like that?
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I found several references on red valerian but that there are no medical uses and the seeds were once used for embalming, but it didn't say by who. Embalming gives me ideas of underworld links.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

I love this plant, I had it growing in my herb garden at the other house. It makes pretty good short-lived cut flower.
The other thing about this plant is, it was a great lesson in botanical names vs common name. I had ordered it from a catalog which simply said "valerian plant". This was before the internet, so I had spent some time in the library trying to figure out what it really was after it bloomed the first time because it did not resemble the plant in my herb book called valerian.
Since it easily self sows one quality would be adaptability. Leaves grow petioled and sessile which further suggests it's ability to be adaptable. Changing forms to suit the plant. (Hummm shapshifting plant?) Leaves are oppsite glaborus and fleshy, indicating their smooth and gentle nature. Leaves being opposite would make me think it can be used to observe the shadow side of the self.
That's all I got right now I have to take off...
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:

Return to “Nature - Plants, Animals, Faeries, Dragons”