Bringing home a cat

Discussion about pets, familiars, animal totems, animal spirits, pet ghosts, and more. All animal talk, crazy and normal, is welcome here.
blue_moon

Bringing home a cat

Post by blue_moon »

My parents went on a trip to Spain few weeks ago. They had to leave their cats home - the neighbors, my sister and me check on them regularly; feed, cuddle and clean up after them.

Monday I drove by and brought the old cat upstairs. He was holding on to me, purring like crazy. I felt like I had to bring him home.

I wanted to in the first place but I was worried how my cat would react (she's so super sensitive. Used to hide all day. Since a two or three months I get to cuddle her, pick her up and she even comes out when I have company) - now I feel like I can risk bringing them together and I want to pick him up Thursday morning. I'll be home all day and we would have 4 easy days - two with my boys busy and two with the whole family at home.

Do you have any ideas how I can bring him to our home and give the two cats an easy peaceful start.

My miss kitty cat is 11 - mr. Senior is pretty old. .. 16? 17?

I'll get a second toilet and bring some of his food. Maybe a blanket or pillow he likes laying on.

I'm thankful for any suggestions.
BB

Blue Moon
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bringing home a cat

Post by Firebird »

Cat temperaments vary....as you probably know. So they may be fine, or they may want to shred each other, yea?
I heard of a way where you keep them in seperate kennels movining them closer and closer until they are next to each other so they can get a sense of each other first. I can't remember if you let your cat out first or if there is an order...sorry, I wasn't much help.
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I think the cat already living there comes out first. I never have followed the rules. They get rescued, they come in, everybody figures out how to get along.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
blue_moon

Post by blue_moon »

Thanks you two!
I just went and risked it.
The old cat didn't like the car ride. He meowed alot so I let him out right away when I got home.

And guess what! They get along. My black cat was a bit tense - she hissed when the old gray cat came near her.
He just turned and left. After a while my cat went after him. Slowly. I guess she wanted to know where he went. She just checked on him and came back into the living room.

This morning my black cat sat out here in the living room. Acting totally normal! Haven't seen the gray one yet... he must be sleeping in one of the bedrooms.
BB

Blue Moon
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

:fairy: cool! Glad to hear things seem to be working out puuuurrfectly!
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
blue_moon

Post by blue_moon »

I can't wait to take the first pictures of them.
It is going so well - my black cat is still hissing at the old guy when he comes to close - but she's not at all aggressive.
BB

Blue Moon

Return to “Animals and Pets”