Unitarian Universalist

Discussion of the different types of witchcraft and pagan paths.
Eireayne

Unitarian Universalist

Post by Eireayne »

Does anyone here have any experience with the Unitarian Universalist congregational experience?

Short of joining a coven, I want to convene with some open-minded spiritual, moral folks in the spirit of fellowship and have looked into their program. They say on their website that about 19% of their membership would classify themselves as pagan. Our local congregation actually hosted a Beltane ritual, and they observe sabbats, equinoxes, full moons etc.... I'm intruigued.

My honey and I both come from Protestant backgrounds and I feel that we are about to hit a rough patch on the issue of religious dogma vs. spirituality. We need to find an officiant for our wedding and are being hit by the religious factions on both sides. (Everyone has a christian pastor in the family to suggest, and I'm not having that "I don't consider myself a christian" discussion with any family members period.) We need a third party who I can openly discuss my opinions with, without suffering family upheaval. No chance we are doing a handfasting (still in broom closet and not planning on coming out to Fam) A plain civil service would also raise eyebrows and suspision with our religious family members, so that's a no-go. My honey knows and accepts. So we need to do a non-denominational service (one that vaguely hints at tradition) and I'm thinking Unitarian. Maybe it'll come across as tradition with a twist, without compromising my personal beliefs.

Just looking for some feedback, hearsay, anything.
Heka
Banned Member
Location: On top of some magic rock in the middle of the desert yelling at the sky in joy...

Post by Heka »

You could get handfasted (or anything) and not tell anyone.

My parents got hitched without telling anyone.
Blessed Be and Merry Part

Heka

~~~~~~~

Water, my blood...
Earth, my body...
Air, my breath...
Fire, my spirit...
Makbawehuh
Banned Member

Post by Makbawehuh »

Indeed. Another good church to consider is the Disciples of Christ. They tend to be very non-judgmental and open minded, in my experience, but they also have very few rules about how things are supposed to be laid out in a church, leaving most of the details to the individual pastor... So you might have to hunt around for a bit to find a church you like, with them.

Have you considered looking for a pastor in your area who's affiliated with the Universal Life Church? They're ordained, but their faith is their own... whatever that is. As friend of mine who's Asatru got himself ordinated through them so he could legally perform a close friend's wedding, and I've gone through them so that I could officiate at my sister's. I don't doubt that you could find someone affiliated with them who's able, and willing, to perform the ceremony with enough tradition to satisfy, without raising suspicion.
~St. Makupuff the Awesome~

"The human race will begin solving it's problems on the day that it ceases taking itself so seriously." – Malaclypse the Younger

The Hell Law says that Hell is reserved exclusively for them that believe in it.
Further, the lowest Rung in Hell is reserved for them that believe in it on the supposition that they'll go there if they don't.

-Holy Book of Truth; The Gospel According to Fred, 3:1 (Principia Discordia)
watershield
Banned Member

Post by watershield »

You say it look like rough waters coming.....and you're not interested in a christian wedding.

How does your honey feel. If he wants a christian wedding looks like you have a lot to discuss before any vows are taken.
And if he is only worried about family, why not go with it but write your own vows?
The mind is a window to the universe, but for many the window is closed
Truth is unique, it seldom has meaning for anyone other than the one who speaks it.
My opinion is my own. I am willing to share it, though you are not required to accept it.
Eireayne

On the same page...

Post by Eireayne »

My honey and I have had long talks and he feels the same way that I do about walking the fine line between appealing to our parents traditional roots and incorporating our own earth-based spirituality. The rough waters would be when we tell our families that we are going to use a third party instead of an uncle, close family friend, or the family pastor.

M - We have been to a wedding where the officiant was ordained by the Universal life church. While I like the idea, We both are looking for something that has a congregation, youth and music programs so that our own children (in the future) will experience the fellowship of the church at the same they are being encouraged to explore their own spirituality. I shall look in the the disciples, I had not considered them before.

I tried to do the "let's just get civilly hitched, go into the forest, do our own thing just the two of us, and then return home for the pomp and circumstance that involves everyone else." We realized though, if our families found out it would have hurt them greatly, and so we've opted to try and maneuver the spiritual/religious waters in an effort to involve everyone in our committment.

Thanks for all of your thoughts! We are off to a Unitarian Universalist service in just a few moments and I'm excited to see how it goes.
frisbee

Re: Unitarian Universalist

Post by frisbee »

This comment comes too late to advise about said wedding, but I will say I joined the UU church last summer. They're a pretty open-minded, accepting crowd, and spiritually diverse--many UUs are Pagans, as well as Buddhists, Christians (though they generally deny Jesus's divinity), agnostics and atheists, and everything in between. I attended the church's winter solstice ritual and enjoyed it very much. They tend to be pretty highly intellectual and philosophical in their "sermons," after which we have open discussions, at least in my fellowship. And they really emphasize ecology and social justice.

The UU denomination is small in numbers, but as far as progressive and accepting churches/organizations go, UU's about as good as it gets.
Eireayne

Post by Eireayne »

We were hooked after our first UU trip. We're members now, and have been active in UUism for 3 years now. Love it. OUr wedding was exactly what we wanted, and our officiant allowed us to basically write it ourselves. None of the extended family even questioned it, so we felt like we were able to disperse our earth-based beliefs in a way that was not offputting to our more traditional christian family.

Our UU congregation is everything I ever dreamed of finding, and I have taken an active role in the community, even stepping slightly out of the broom closet and providing support for pagan flavored services and celebrations. Finding it has been one of the best experiences in my life, and my husband feels the same way.

Blessed Be,
Eireayne
miachrhys

Post by miachrhys »

Part of my interest in Unitarian Universalism came from the fact that many of their churches are LGBT friendly. That was an important aspect for me to want to attend, in addition to my belief system being respected. I have attended an Earth-based group at my local UU church and am looking into officially becoming a member.

My local congregation is very relaxed and social justice oriented, which I also am in favor of. I'd love an update on the wedding and how it went if you happen to see this.
slithering_dragonfly

Unitarian Universalist

Post by slithering_dragonfly »

I've attended UU Churches off and on, and they are very liberal and open minded. I like them a lot. Do remember that they are not nondenominational; they are an actual denomination with beliefs. These beliefs are very open minded and very in line with most pagans, but it could cause a problem with officiating a wedding that you want to keep neutral for traditional families. We didn't use a UU officiant so I don't know for sure, but they might not be able to leave out some of their core tenants. You'd need to discuss that with them ahead of time to see if what they are willing to do is in line with what you want.

What we did for an officiant was found a minister who officiates weddings for a living. He lets you tailor the ceremony exactly how you like, be that entirely civil to any range of traditional. He was also very affordable. So I would highly recommend a service like that if its available in your area and if UU doesn't work out for you.
Wicce Lorrie

Post by Wicce Lorrie »

Eireayne wrote:We were hooked after our first UU trip. We're members now, and have been active in UUism for 3 years now. Love it. OUr wedding was exactly what we wanted, and our officiant allowed us to basically write it ourselves. None of the extended family even questioned it, so we felt like we were able to disperse our earth-based beliefs in a way that was not offputting to our more traditional christian family.

Our UU congregation is everything I ever dreamed of finding, and I have taken an active role in the community, even stepping slightly out of the broom closet and providing support for pagan flavored services and celebrations. Finding it has been one of the best experiences in my life, and my husband feels the same way.

Blessed Be,
Eireayne
I'm a UU member also. Did you know there is a pagan sub-group of UU? Called Covenant of Unitarian Universalist Pagans or CUUPs. I am also a member, although the church I attend at this time do not have a CUUPs. Most UUs don't but many are in the UU churches throughout the US.

I plan on moving soon, so hopefully the next UU church I become a member of will have a CUUPs.
miachrhys

Post by miachrhys »

My UU church had an Earth-Based group and the members had not at that time made a choice to peruse membership into CUUPS. The leaders of the group called it WEBS based on the UU tenet of having respect for the interconnectedness through the web of life. The group was fun but I had to stop attending because I became ill. Now I have moved 2,000 miles away but it was the closest to a coven I have ever worked with.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

This is an older topic, but I recently joined our local UU church, and I think they are absolutely wonderful. They're extremely welcoming to Pagans (my group's religious educator is another Pagan woman), and I've had a great time so far. My local Pagan circle is great too, and I'm very actively involved with them, but I wind up leading so many of the rituals that I don't have much opportunity to learn from others. It's very refreshing to have a weekly spiritual obligation where I can just show up, listen, and learn.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
smogie_michele

Post by smogie_michele »

Xiao, I'm glad yo revived this topic. I never knew of UU, but now I think I have something to look into.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.
Becks

Post by Becks »

Very cool Xiao. I have a good friend who is also pagan and loves her UU church. I have not been myself, but the one I drive by here has great topics listed on their board, seems welcoming and if I were looking for that collective experience I would consider going for sure.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Our Coven used to present rituals at the local UU, there are actually 2 UU's in the area we held circle at.
You might look into CUUPS which is a congregation within the UU especially for pagans. Some of the churches have them some do not, it depends on how many pagans are attending any particular church to get together and form the group. The UU I attend now does not have a CUUPS chapter, however there are several pagans there and it may be time to rally!
Good luck! I have found the services to be most enjoyable, and I have time to ...like Xiao said...let someone else do the driving! I bring my crochet and just relax and listen.
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:

Return to “Types of Witchcraft”