Beginner oil/incense advice?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
nicoledianthus

Beginner oil/incense advice?

Post by nicoledianthus »

Hello, I have spent a lot of time focusing on herbs, gemstones, and candles when it comes to my rituals but I wanted to get an idea as to what some of you would recommend for the best oils and incense that are your "essentials" ...so far I've looked at frankencense and sandalwood for incense but I wanted to know what you considered your most used oils and scents..

Thank you for any help!
YanaKhan

Re: beginner oil/incense advice?

Post by YanaKhan »

It depends on the path you are following. Different herbs in different traditions are used for different things. For example burnt black pepper is used in some love rituals in the Eastern traditions, but in the Western, it's used for protection and banishing spells.
I mainly use cinnamon, lavender and spearmint for different purposes as I don't really follow any particular path. I just like the smell. Frankincense I use for protection and banishing and I use sandalwood for meditation as it helps me relax.
PhoenixFlight

Post by PhoenixFlight »

When I use incense, it's used with the purpose of "powering up" whatever spell I'm doing, though as Elcida said, depending on your path, some "types" differ from others. However, it's rare that I actually use it.
~that is an interesting notion, in it's own way~
Obsidian

Post by Obsidian »

Frankincense and myrrh for protection and blessings respectively- if they're good enough for Jesus, they're good enough for me! :) These are the two most important incense for me and I also really like the smell of frankincense.
Patchouli for prosperity and as a happy coincidence one of my favorite perfumes has patchouli in it.
White sage to clear out negative energies.
Every few days I light a cluster of these four incense sticks and go through my house repeating in my head that as I do so I'm bringing peace, protection and prosperity into my home.

To help me relax I have used night queen, sandalwood and this blend of vanilla bean, lily and lily of the valley. I like to image that as I'm breathing these scents in, I'm breathing in calmness and that as I exhale I'm breathing out all of my worries.

I also use any type of incense to represent the air element in rituals. Also, if I'm asking for help from anyone, I usually light a candle for them and light any incense for them as a way of honoring them. I think it's the thought that counts so I don't have a specific incense that that I associate this a specific deity.

Hmm, I never considered how much I use incense until I wrote this post.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

here is a great thread by Ravencry
http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 16444.html
I was looking for a thread on resins but didn't find one just yet.
Blessings, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
elloclarice

Post by elloclarice »

I mainly use lavender and sometimes I'll use different oils for different needs (I.e protection and cleansing I'll use sage)
Isis3Anubis

Post by Isis3Anubis »

Iam always using sandalwood both essential oil and synthetic since it's expensive. Frankincense and myrrh are the foundation of my altar oils for Sabbats. Rosemary for purification. Patchouli for protection.
She's just pieces of me you've never seen ~ Tori Amos
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

I use Sandalwood a lot as well.
nicoledianthus

Post by nicoledianthus »

Thanks everyone, I decided to go with Dragons blood, frankincense, sandalwood and patchouli for my starters..Ive actually started to get into using herbs to make my own too
Lillady

Post by Lillady »

nicoledianthus wrote:Thanks everyone, I decided to go with Dragons blood, frankincense, sandalwood and patchouli for my starters..Ive actually started to get into using herbs to make my own too
Those are great ones. I believe you are off to a wonderful start! I use lavender a lot myself, it is my favorite. I also use frankincense & fairy dust though. Just all depends on what I am doing to which one I use.
nicoledianthus

Post by nicoledianthus »

Lillady wrote:
Those are great ones. I believe you are off to a wonderful start! I use lavender a lot myself, it is my favorite. I also use frankincense & fairy dust though. Just all depends on what I am doing to which one I use.
Yes I LOVE lavender, I use the actual herbs for quite a bit, its actually the first herb for my "witchy kitchen" that I ever bought
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

Im finding myself drawn to purple flowers/herbs a LOT lately. I need to explore why that is. Violets, Lavendar...the color, scent etc. Im wearing more scents with those in them.

Also hibiscus (although not purple LOL)
Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

Mugwort is use most of all cause it's like White Sage in that it neutralizes and to sanctify my altar space. I like lavender cause it smells good and Frankincense and Myrrh together. It's really earthy and spicy.
-Dark-Moon-

Post by -Dark-Moon- »

I think Sage is a necessity and I love your other choices.

I like some of the bought incenses for offerings to Bast and Isis (they like perfumes) - such as night queen, lotus, Egyptian jasmine, etc

I also burn a lot of ylang ylang for its calming euphoric effect.

Special oils I have - uncrossing, bewitching, lotus, conjure, money drawing, power, st expedite to name but a few.

As far as incense powder goes - I like fiery wall of protection, house blessing, hummingbird, black cat, purification and exorcism. I also make my own with my collection of dried herbs ground up in a mortar and pestle .... It really is fun to make your own.

Have fun and be creative.
I am that which is attained at the end of desire
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

. Incense - Frankincense & Myrrh & Cafe Paris from Nippon Kodo

. Herbs/oils - cinnamon, mint & rose for spirituality-success, psi-clarity, abundance-peace; balsam for mouse repellent

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”