Goddesses - Review

Review and recommend pagan, spiritual, Wicca, & witchcraft books.
Alura Noel

Goddesses - Review

Post by Alura Noel »

Goddesses - A Coloring Book Review
Dover Coloring Books
Dover Publications

I felt like this was a good coloring book because I am trying to get closer to the spirituality aspect behind things. I think this is a great tool for doing that and thinking about them while I color. Another thing, if there's a goddess in here that someone worships, i'm sure it could be colored and framed. Put up on an altar/shrine or maybe the wall. I know some people can't afford statues but a nice, well colored picture would be nice too. Or maybe for younger people who hide their craft. Parent's wont think much of a coloring book picture. They will think you're just proud of your work and showing it off if you do frame it for an altar.

For More Reviews

A coloring page I finished. Click Here for more pictures of what people have colored from this book.

This coloring book has 30 drawings of goddesses from Greek, Roman, Celtic, Norse, Egyptian, Mayan, Incan, African, Native American, and Asian cultures.

Specifically: Arianrhod, Epona, Freya, Idunn, Frigg, Bastet, Isis, Ma'at, Pomona, Venus, Diana, Aphrodite, Eos, Athena, Gaia, Ix Chel, Pachamama, Chalchiuhticue, Inanna, White Buffalo Woman, Oshun, Mawu, Mbaba Mwana Waresa, Guan Yin, Xi Wang-Mu, Amaterasu, Konohana Sakuya, Saraswati, Lakshmi, Tara.

It also has a very brief description of each goddess on every coloring page.

What I liked:

Paper: Crisp White and the tooth is pretty good. This paper seems pretty thick.

Designs: Most coloring books, generally the women's face structure are pretty similar but I liked how with each culture the artist drew the face to fit where each goddess is worshiped. The Asian goddesses look Asian (Yay!). On the down side, I wish with more of the Anglo-Saxon/Greek goddesses the artist changed it up a bit, they generally looked the same. I felt each drawing was beautiful and some of them are more complex than others, which is good.
I like how there is a mixture of pictures that are landscape and portrait.

This is an average sized coloring book and it's easy to copy without tearing/cutting the pages out.

What I didn't like:

The drawings were printed on both sides of the paper! For me, that's not too bad considering I copy them on the printer anyways but for other people, I would worry about using markers on it.

These pages are not perforated so they would have to be cut out if you want to take them out.

I'd give this coloring book a 5 out of 5. The drawings are so well done!
Heartsong

Re: Goddesses - Review

Post by Heartsong »

Oh, I love this, Alura! It's a marvelous idea for altar pictures! I would love to get my hands on this, I'm a coloring fiend anyway. :P

And I agree that it would be an amazing way to connect with your spirituality creatively. Thank you for posting this! I've said it before, I'll say it again, you always have the neatest ideas. ^.^
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
Klia

Re: Goddesses - Review

Post by Klia »

Thanks for sharing! Like Heartsong said, this would be perfect for representations on altars for Sabbats. I will have to get a copy!
"The will to do, the soul to dare is yours for the taking if you prepare."

Return to “Book Reviews”