REVIEW: Asatru for Beginners by Erin Lale

Review and recommend pagan, spiritual, Wicca, & witchcraft books.
Heartsong

REVIEW: Asatru for Beginners by Erin Lale

Post by Heartsong »

Asatru for Beginners
by Erin Lale

This is another book that I'm going to label as a 101 textbook. It is short, sweet, and to the point, perhaps the one redeeming quality in what I considered to be a lackluster book.

What was Excellent
This book is very good for those, like me, who have little idea what Asatru is, the belief system that comprises it, or the history of its development. This book is a good starting point for gathering that information. Lale goes a bit further than the generic information that many websites provide, and actually gives the reader insight into how those who follow Asatru think, and why. She also gives several list-type chapters, explaining the Asatru view of gods, runes, and codes of behavior.

What isn't so Excellent
What I didn't care for is how Lale doesn't give an objective overview of Asatru. Her personal views color the entirety of the text, and she often gives information that isn't easily verified as anything other than her opinion. For example,
Allowing someone to cut one's hair in exchange for providing one a livelihood is selling oneself into slavery, or agreeing to be that person's whore. From that point forward one has no honor and cannot take oaths such as marriage, or testify in court, until one's owner frees one or one escapes.
I find this to be more than a little extreme, and hardly impartial. While I understand that all religions have views that those outside it may find odd or extreme, I was very uncomfortable reading this due to Lale's tone in the text. Other examples are prevalent throughout the book.

In conclusion, I would say that while this book can be useful, I believe there are other books on the same topic that may provide a better, more concise overview of Asatru and would perhaps give more information than a personal slant.

Overall, I rate this book a 1.5 out of 5. blue_dozey
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
Holdasown

Re: REVIEW: Asatru for Beginners by Erin Lale

Post by Holdasown »

Thanks for the review. I have been practicing Heathenism of some type for five, six years now and never heard the hair thing before. I imagine any book has personal practice in it though.
Heartsong

Re: REVIEW: Asatru for Beginners by Erin Lale

Post by Heartsong »

Your welcome. :)
I have been practicing Heathenism of some type for five, six years now and never heard the hair thing before. I imagine any book has personal practice in it though.
That's true, and I realize that, when you're reading a book like this, you're going to run into personal opinion and practice. But it was So overwhelming, and so contrary to other things I'd been reading that I really had to make myself finish the book. Yet, the lists in the book were good references and it can be a decent introduction. Although, I still think that there are alternative texts you can explore with better information.
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone

Return to “Book Reviews”