making Tapers(candles)

Make your own oils, incense, dream pillows, teas, aromatics, magickally charged bath salts, candles, soap, yummy pagan holiday treats, and more!
Purple_wind
Banned Member

Post by Purple_wind »

Well I made taper candles before. I don't know where you get the wax or oil to put in it or the wick but I know how they actually do the candles. You take the wax and oils and put it down in a pot and bring it to a slight boil. After that you just keep it hot enough to stay liquid and dip the wick in the wax as far up as you want it to go, hold it up out of the wax for a second to dry and dip it again. Repeat the dipping process until it's tick enough for you.

I did this once on a field trip about 4 years ago so I don't gaurantee results but some info is better than none. =)

Good luck, tell me how it goes and where you got the supplies when your done please :) .
WatchfulEyeTheButterfly

Post by WatchfulEyeTheButterfly »

I've never done it personally but my mom used to. She did exactly what Purple_wind said, only she always did it in a double boiler. I don't know why, but I expect it's to keep the heat on all sides to the heat will circulate and not burn or stick. Whatever the reason, I've never seen her do it in a one pot alone. If you don't have a double boiler, just use two different sized pots. Put water in the big pot and let it boil (not to much water or it'll overflow) and then put the little pot in the big pot (don't let the water get inside) and put the ingredients in the little pot. they'll melt and you can do exactly what purple said! Hope this is helpful, if not
I'm sorry.
WatchfulEyeTheButterfly

Sorry to double post, but I just thought of something to add. You can also get molds to make shapes (hearts, roses, etc) if you do that you just pour it in the mold with a wick and they're often flexible plastic so you can just pop it out when dry. Plus, if you get scentless wax it's often colorless too, meaning you can easily add color and herbs or oils for smell to match your magic intent. Check Hobby Lobby or something similar, chances are they will have what you need. :)
WatchfulEyeTheButterfly

No problem, I tried to ask my mom where to get it exactly, but she's ignoring me for some reason, so yea...But I'm almost positive Hobby lobby would have it. If I recal correctly the wax will be in little tiny spheres so they'll melt quickly. :)
calico

Post by calico »

I make candles. I do mostly container or pillar, although I have done tapers. Dipping them is tough unless you have a lot more patience than I do. If you don't ,then a taper mold is definately the way to go.
The double boiler (mentioned above) is to keep the wax from getting too hot.
What to use for wax? For tapers I like beeswax, as it doesn't drip so bad. But it can be pricey. You can use paraffin- just straight paraffin. That's wha I use for pillars. I add candle color and scent.
Get some good wicking- there are several sites on the internet if your town doesn't have a store- my favorite is Bittercreek ( Google it with candle supply). The right size wick is the key to a good candle.
WatchfulEyeTheButterfly

Yea, just boil water in a big pot, then put a small pot without water in the big pot.

Like that. ^
Aleana

Post by Aleana »

I suspect that it is, in fact, chocolate. ;-; Share.

Any large craft store should have it. I get my candlemaking supplies from Michaels. Only problem is, it's REALLY expensive.
WatchfulEyeTheButterfly

I wish I had chocolate to give you but that's a pic I found :(
InHonorOfHecate

Post by InHonorOfHecate »

You can make tapers quickly by just dipping a wick in melted wax, then lukewarm/cool water, and repeat until it's thick enough. :)
JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

You can reuse the snubs of old candles for wax. The wax in jar candles can be loosened by setting it in very hot water (not boiling because this can break the glass and be careful because glass will still be hot. )

Or stores like walmart sell wax chips as a seasonal item in most places.
moon_stone14

Re: making Tapers(candles)

Post by moon_stone14 »

Where can you buy the wicks for candles?
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

Try any arts and crafts store. Ask for the candle-making section.
Platypus

Post by Platypus »

i believe some people use 100% cotton thread which is normally used for crotchet,they then braid it, this is o.k if you're making it for yourself, the braids would need to be very tight i'd imagine.
moon_stone14

Post by moon_stone14 »

Oh ok, thanks!! :)

Return to “Kitchen Magick & Witch Crafts”